Help please! Sony screen problems

Janeymc

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Sonya Bravia KD55XG8096BU smart TV which is 15 months old.

A couple of evenings ago the screen suddenly started flickering and then vertical lines appeared, went fuzzy and became unable to watch.
I switched it off, went to bed and all was fine the following evening until about an hour later the screen went weird again.

Called the Sony helpline and they said to do a factory reset which seemed to work but late last night after watching it for about 3 hours the inevitable happened! I had the Sony guys email address but they aren't working at the weekend!

It is just out of warranty (usually I pay for a repair package but stupidly I didn't this time and Team Knowhow want to charge £95.00 to take it away to look at and if it is not a manufacturer fault I would have the option to pay for parts to have it fixed!

Can anyone look at the pictures I've attached and offer advise please as to whether it is likely to be cost effective to fix or whether I need to buy a new TV

Many thanks in advance
TV1.jpg
TV2.jpg

Hi,
I have a Sonya Bravia KD55XG8096BU smart TV which is 15 months old.

A couple of evenings ago the screen suddenly started flickering and then vertical lines appeared, went fuzzy and became unable to watch.
I switched it off, went to bed and all was fine the following evening until about an hour later the screen went weird again.

Called the Sony helpline and they said to do a factory reset which seemed to work but late last night after watching it for about 3 hours the inevitable happened! I had the Sony guys email address but they aren't working at the weekend!

It is just out of warranty (usually I pay for a repair package but stupidly I didn't this time and Team Knowhow want to charge £95.00 to take it away to look at and if it is not a manufacturer fault I would have the option to pay for parts to have it fixed!

Can anyone look at the pictures I've attached and offer advise please as to whether it is likely to be cost effective to fix or whether I need to buy a new TV

Many thanks in advance
View attachment 1543041View attachment 1543042

Sorry to see/hear. That looks like a serious failure to me and Sony don't replace panels or do major repairs so I suspect you could be looking at quite a large bill to get it fixed or more likely it's not cost effective to repair it.....but I'm no engineer. If you do have to replace it then make sure you buy it from somewhere like Richer Sounds, who not only price match, give excellent customer service but more importantly in cases like this provide a 6 year warranty. I think I would bite the bullet and go shopping for a new set. This one is the same size but is a MUCH better television and is an absolute bargain at the moment. Good luck Sony BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU

Read up on UK Consumer rights.
It should last longer than 15 months.

Richer Sounds

Sorry to see/hear. That looks like a serious failure to me and Sony don't replace panels or do major repairs so I suspect you could be looking at quite a large bill to get it fixed or more likely it's not cost effective to repair it.....but I'm no engineer. If you do have to replace it then make sure you buy it from somewhere like Richer Sounds, who not only price match, give excellent customer service but more importantly in cases like this provide a 6 year warranty. I think I would bite the bullet and go shopping for a new set. This one is the same size but is a MUCH better television and is an absolute bargain at the moment. Good luck Sony BRAVIA KD55XH9505BU
Thanks for your reply, I've managed to get Team Knowhow to collect today without the upfront charge of £95 as whilst I didn't pay for the extended warranty at the time they usually send a letter close to the warranty end asking if a care and repair package is wanted. They said because of Covid and staff shortages that the letter may not have been sent! They (or Sony) will look at the problem and if it is deemed a manufacturing fault it will be repaired. If not, I can pay to have it fixed (which a you say may not be cost effective.
I've not heard of Richer Sounds but a look at their website looks promising and with a 6 year warranty it is a no-brainer. Thank you for your help :)

Read up on UK Consumer rights.
It should last longer than 15 months.
Thank you for the info, I certainly would expect a Sony TV (or any TV) to last for 15months especially with relatively light usage! I will try the steps on the link you kindly provided, even a small refund would be good to offset part of the cost of a new one if needed!
Many thanks

Thanks for your reply, I've managed to get Team Knowhow to collect today without the upfront charge of £95 as whilst I didn't pay for the extended warranty at the time they usually send a letter close to the warranty end asking if a care and repair package is wanted. They said because of Covid and staff shortages that the letter may not have been sent! They (or Sony) will look at the problem and if it is deemed a manufacturing fault it will be repaired. If not, I can pay to have it fixed (which a you say may not be cost effective.
I've not heard of Richer Sounds but a look at their website looks promising and with a 6 year warranty it is a no-brainer. Thank you for your help :)
That sounds promising then. Sony have always been good to me in warranty so I wish you luck. Should you need to purchase another television I can't fault Richer sounds for me they're hands down best AV retailer in the UK.

The Sony XH9505 comes with a 5 year Sony warranty irrespective of where it was bought in the UK. Richer Sounds just add an extra year.

The Sony XH9505 comes with a 5 year Sony warranty irrespective of where it was bought in the UK. Richer Sounds just add an extra year.
Hi, I was sure when I bought mine it had a 5 yr guarantee but sadly have no documentation as it was a replacement for a Samsung I bought that was faulty on arrival and due to it being during the first Covid lockdown and over 11 hours in total on the phone to Currys over several days I had to contact the credit card company and request a chargeback and order a new tv so there is every possibility that the Sony wasn't 5 years like the Samsung but as i was so stressed at the time I never thought anymore about it.
Team Knowhow have collected the TV this morning so hopefully should know more in a week
if not, i'll be buying the one recommended above :)

This isn't always the case unfortunately as depends on the retailer and also if/when you register your new Sony television. You are correct that Richer Sounds add a 6th Year on top of a Sony 5 year warranty.

This isn't always the case unfortunately as depends on the retailer and also if/when you register your new Sony television. You are correct that Richer Sounds add a 6th Year on top of a Sony 5 year warranty.
I don't think this is correct. Well yes you have to register for the extended warranty but this is always the case where the manufacturer offers the extended warranty. Other than my Sony TV I have had to register both my new Siemens washing machine and Karcher pressure washer to qualify fior the extended manufacturer's warranty offered

The XH9505 has a 5 year Sony warranty as long as it is bought new (not refurb) and you register it. How else do you think Curry's could offer a 5 year warranty?

I don't think this is correct. Well yes you have to register for the extended warranty but this is always the case where the manufacturer offers the extended warranty. Other than my Sony TV I have had to register both my new Siemens washing machine and Karcher pressure washer to qualify fior the extended manufacturer's warranty offered

The XH9505 has a 5 year Sony warranty as long as it is bought new (not refurb) and you register it. How else do you think Curry's could offer a 5 year warranty?

I'm not here to debate it as it's fact that some retailers over recent years haven't/ don't provide a 5 year warranty as standard with certain makes and models of televisions...including Sony.

No debate I am not talking about retailers and other Sony and other makes and models of TV. With the XH9505 the 5 year warranty comes in the box direct from Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom