Question Help please smartphone photographers!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by disneyboy, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:

1. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      I am looking to part with my DSLR and upgrade my smartphone(iPhone 6s plus) to something with a better camera.

Looking for a phone with a low f number(1.8 ish) and a strong battery.

I’m considering an iPhone 7 plus, 8 plus, iPhone X, Google Pixel XL or a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Can anyone suggest something I’ve missed or give any advice from personal experience?

Or if you see a good deal please let me know :) Thank you!

2. finbaar

finbaar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +47
      The Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy S9 plus and Huawei P20 Pro all have excellent cameras and would do the job for you. The iPhone is a little behind these three for now.

3. JayCee

JayCee
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,396
      In terms of what?
      I'm sure I read somewhere the 7 & 8 Plus models were up there with the best of them as far as camera facilities went.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612

I'd argue the iphone 8 and x or actually ahead

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Thank you all for the replies.
      Is there any camera feature that stands out from any particular model? Such as the depth effect on the iPhones?

6. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      Hi I think you guys have totally forgotten one big manufacturer !

Sony .. blimmy they make some of the very best Camera Len's technology out their .

Do you know that Sony is about to announce the new Xperia XZ2 Premium very soon that I reckon is goona wipe the floor with all those phones you have mentioned already .

Well I have recently upgraded from a Xperia Z5 and gone to a XZ Premium and I can say it's by far the best ever phone iv owned and I can say that camera quality is absolutely outstanding .

Anyway it's always got to be either Apple or Samsung with folks ..their are other fantastic manufacturers out their that either produce similar results or even better have bettered both of their brands already .

Anyway just saying ..[emoji41]

7. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Thanks for that, will look in to the Sony now you mention it. I am very out of touch with Android hence not knowing about the Sony. I did a few best camera phone google searches and didn't see it, but will google that model now :) How does the battery hold up for you?

8. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      Hi their ..So far I seem to be getting almost 2 days out of it with medium use only had the phone for 2 weeks now .

The specs for the XZ2 Premium their are some leeks out at the moment and the specs look amazing if it is to be true .

Must also mention new Huawei Mate 10 Pro getting some fantastic reviews now . Their is a thread on avforums on this phone .

Also LG are launching new G7 watch out for that .We can't forget OnePlus 5T

So their is plenty out their to check out it's not a world of just Apple and Samsung it's 2018 now and pretty much all those brands equal that quality with flagship specs .

Honestly without being over baised here ..lol Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium specs just picked this out from a website t3.com

''Rumours so far point to a possible name of Xperia XZ Pro which will come with a 4K OLED screen, Snapdragon 845 CPU backed by 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage. There is also rumoured to be a dual rear camera with an 18MP primary snapped with a secondary 12MP lens. So far so amazing and all other phone beating, then.

The battery is expected to be a 3,420 mAh unit and the phone is expected to be IP68 water and dust resistant so it should keep chugging along with you all day no matter where you are.

Expect to hear more before the event on April 16.''

If these specs are true then you are looking at a true show stopper in my opinion !!!

9. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      I agree that the Sony may be the best bet if the specs come to light. If I was in the market for a camera phone, I'd defo wait a few more weeks to see what is what

10. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Thank you for the info. Yeah I was wondering about the Mate 10 Pro, OnePlus 5T and LG but they didn't seem to come up as high as others in camera reviews. Will defo wait and see about the Sony though :)

11. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      I've only recently upgraded to the 2017 Sony Xperia XZ Premium and totally loving it such a joy to use and I have been totally amazed how great the quality of pictures are .

Using the newly developed Sonys slow-motion technology iv been playing around with it .

Even with the current Snapdragon 835 is no slouch ! Its very fast snappy absolutely no lag and pretty powerful my phone is running new Android Oero 8 if feels that it's been very well developed .

The quality of the 4K screen is pin Sharpe to my eyes and watching 4K on you tube is amazing quality still getting used to it .

At that moment Netflix does not support this model for HDR but I have a feeling with a app update Netflix will amend that issue for sure . Amazon Prime does fully work in full 4K ultra HD HDR kinda weird and getting used to it again quality is fantastic to my eyes .

I've owned many mobile phone device's over the years from my late teens original Nokia 3210 & 3310 to Sonys Ericsson K750i and W800i Walkman phones then onto Samsung and owning several Galaxy models but out of all those phones for me saving up for this Sony Xperia XZ Premium now at 38 years old is definitely the best phone iv ever owned .[emoji6] [emoji41]

12. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Nice one, thanks for the info [emoji1417]

13. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
    14. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,566
      The highest rated phone camera on DxO is the Huawei P20 Pro followed by the Huawei P20
      With an overall score of 109 points, the Huawei P20 Pro sets a new benchmark for smartphone cameras on DxOMark.com, outscoring all of its closest rivals, such as the Apple iPhone X, the Google Pixel 2, and the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus by a margin that is close to or higher than 10 points.
      Mobile Reviews - DxOMark
      "For scoring and analysis in our smartphone camera reviews, DxOMark engineers capture and evaluate over 1500 test images and more than 2 hours of video both in controlled lab environments and in natural indoor and outdoor scenes, using the camera’s default settings".

Also look at the phone reviews on dpreview Reviews and previews: Digital Photography Review

Both of the above sites concentrate on the camera performance and mostly test/review DSLR cameras and lenses.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    15. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Brill, thanks a lot :)

16. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,416
      Huawaei mate 10 pro is a cracking buy now. The camera has a great pro mode to adjust everything you need to.

17. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12,330
      If you want Android then it the Huawei 20 Pro, and if you want iOS then the iPhone X.

18. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Cool, thanks for that :)

19. shotokan101

shotokan101
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,842
      You are aware that the F1.8 (or any other aperture) specified for a smartphone camera is vastly different from the same aperture for an slr camera lens?

20. disneyboy

disneyboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +28
      Yeah, just that kind of aperture is what I’m looking for.

21. dorix

dorix

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I was in the same position as you a few years ago but you might say I was in the right place at the right time. I bought the Nokia 808 Pureview which most of you have probably have never heard of.
      It was and still is the best camera on a phone that was ever designed. If anybody is interested a full review was done at the time in Digital Photography. I still go everywhere with this slipped into my pocket. Just a few details for anybody...Carl Zeiss lens F2.4 1/1.2 , 41mp, xenon flash, mechanical shutter, with a proper HDMI mini socket, DLNA, iso 80-1600 , ND filter etc etc. You can still pick one of these up second hand.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    22. Dalesman

Dalesman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      A phone camera in my opinion is a very good Point and Shoot not a replacement for DSLR.

23. shotokan101

shotokan101
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,842
      FTFY ;)

24. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12,330
      A good workman never blames his/her tools :)

25. sploo

sploo
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Just some general thoughts; and referencing doug56hl's mention of DxO, and shotokan101's point about apertures.

Even an APS-C DSLR has a sensor somewhere around 5x larger (i.e. 25x the surface area) of the sensors in smartphones. In good light a smartphone will get decent images, but as soon as the light gets challenging a DSLR should be significantly ahead.

If I recall correctly, DxO rate a sensor based on its performance per unit area; hence in real world use a highly rated small sensor may be outperformed by a lower rated large sensor.

Depth of Field (DoF) is also related to magnification (the ratio of the size of the actual object vs the size of the object projected onto the sensor). Larger sensors (more magnification) can achieve much shallower DoF for nice blurred backgrounds. Many modern phones do a pretty good job of faking this now in software, but it won't match a DSLR with a large aperture lens.

Autofocus on the phase detection capable smartphones is pretty good now, but not in the same league as a midrange DSLR.

Also, pretty much all camera manufacturers (including smartphone makers) are a bit cheeky when it comes to advertising lens specs. The f/1.8, 28mm camera on the iPhone 8 Plus is actually f/1.8 at its true focal length (likely something around 4mm if it's using a 1/3" sensor). The 28mm value is a 35mm film (or DSLR full frame) equivalent focal length, but at 35mm format size that f/1.8 aperture is actually something around f/13.

For clarity: a 1/3" sensor is 7.21x smaller than the 35mm format, so to get a 28mm equivalent field of view on a 1/3" sensor you need a 28/7.21~=4mm lens, and f/1.8 at 4mm is equivalent to 1.8 * 7.21 ~= f/13 on full frame.

If you used an f/1.8, 28mm lens on a full frame DSLR you'd get a much shallower DoF than the smartphone (but it should be about the same when stopped down to f/13).

I probably take more shots using a phone than a DSLR these days, but for dodgy light, things that move, or "proper" shallow DoF the DSLR is way ahead.

26. 20hz

20hz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
      Nokia Lumia 1020 in 2018: Can this Zeiss phone...

Pixel 2 XL vs Lumia 1020: Battle Vid

Google Pixel 2 Camera Test vs. $20k Hasselblad

iPhone X vs Pixel 2 XL Camera Comparison

Huawei P20 Pro vs Pixel 2 Camera Comparison!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    27. 20hz

20hz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
    28. Dalesman

Dalesman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      Depends what you have used in the past as a point and shoot camera as there very good, good, and average.

Same with mobile phone cameras some are average, good and very good in the eight hundred + price range.

A high end phone in my opinion is very good point and shoot.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    29. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,566
      And also includes 4K video which the likes of the Canon 6D Mk II at £1.6K for body only doesn't...
      From this list it's a minimum of £650 to get a 4K capable camera. The 10 best 4K cameras in 2018 | TechRadar

Personally I wouldn't think of replacing a DSLR with a phone. They are OK for nothing else available situations but if I knew I'd be taking photos I'd be carrying a DSLR as well as my phone. However my DSLR doesn't do 4K video and the only DSLR body for my Canon lenses which does, costs £3K...:(

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    30. sploo

sploo
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      It's worth considering the actual quality of the 4K video though. Firstly it's got to be captured by the sensor (so sensor size and quality issues for photos are relevant for the video frames), then the video has to be compressed, and there's a wide range of implementations out there in terns of quality vs bitrate vs chroma subsampling. There's also the moire and cropping questions (in terms of how the data is taken from the sensor to produce video frames).

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some DSLR (or even point and shoot) cameras were producing better looking HD (1920x1080) video than the 4k from some phones.