Help please - Sky+ HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ally c, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Ally c

Ally c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Swapped my old quad lnb to an octo to get some more feeds for freesat receivers in other rooms. Problem is while I have all the freesat channels my Sky channels are not showing. It keeps telling me my Sky+ HD box is not receiving a signal when I select a Sky channel. The lnb is set to position 2 on the mount, the signal strength and quality is about 50% on both inputs. Is it possible the dish has slipped out of alignment, the f types need replaced due to age deterioration (been up a lot of years), the lnb is not correct (it receives freesat HD ok) or a combination of all these!

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,792
    It may be a silly question but do you mean the Freesat receivers all work normally but the Sky receiver doesn't receive anything at all?

3. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The Free To Air (FTA) programmes such as BBC1, ITV etc. etc. that are available on the Freesat boxes (and the Sky boxes) are exactly the same transmission. So if you can receive them on one box, there is no reason why they shouldn't be available on the others, no mater whether they are Freesat boxes or Sky boxes.
    The Sky specific channels are encrypted so they are not viewable on a Freesat or FTA box.

4. Ally c

Ally c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All boxes, Sky and freesat, are receiving and displaying the free to air channels. It is only my subscribed channels that are not showing on my Sky box. So if I select Sky1 it tells me my 'Sky+HD box isn't getting a satellite signal' which it actually is because it's quite happily showing the free channels. I wondered if for some reason the new LNB didn't work with encrypted services or do I need to phone Sky and get a new card for the box?

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Ah, much better explanation of what's what. Thanks.
    The new LNB is fine then and is nothing to do with the decryption process. You need to sort out the viewing card, which contains the account/decryption information, so that you can watch the Sky specific stuff.
    Was your Sky box fully OK before the LNB swap. If so, it seems to be some sort of weird coincidence. (Unless someone, more learned than I, knows differently. Could it possibly be a H/L or H/V switching problem?)

6. Ally c

Ally c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. I'm thinking now it might be the Sky box. After reset it shows getting a signal on input 1 and 2. If you select a free channel it still gets signal on input 1 and 2 however if you select a Sky channel it loses either input 1 or 2 with the other input signal still showing as good in the settings menu and you get the message of doom on the screen! As I say it might've happened before as I don't watch TV often so might just be that I'm noticing it now.

Might see if I can borrow a box from someone to test the theory!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    But make sure it isn't a SkyQ box as that won't work.

8. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    The most likely issue would be dish alignment or f connector issues. An octo LNB is a tiny bit heavier so you may need to re-align the dish to compensate, by moving the elevation up slightly. Also check and re-make the f connectors if required, Google for how.

Satellite transmissions come from multiple sats (at the same orbital position) from different transponders using high/low and h/v polarisation so it possible to receive some channels and not others.

If you find a Sky specific TP from Lyngsat for a channel you cannot view on your Sky box you can manual tune this into a Freesat box to check if a signal is received. If it is it would point to an issue with the Sky box or the cabling to it.

9. Ally c

Ally c
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you all for your help.

I manually tuned a freesat box to a sky channel and re-aligned my dish to improve strength and quality. I also replaced the f-type connectors on the lnb as they were 10+ years old. Amazing how far out it must have moved since it was installed as it wasn't just a little tweak! We now have Sky and freesat. I think that replacing the lnb tightened everything up as the old one was very loose on the dish and that probably amplified the problem, we were probably lucky getting away with it for several years.

Really appreciate all the advice you gave me, I've learned a lot about satellite TV. Thanks again

Alan

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I realise he has fixed it for now but for future reference.

A heavier LNB causes the arm to fall which means it is looking at a higher elevation after reflection from the dish. Thus you need to move the dish elevation down slightly not up.