1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please..Should I get EEC or Non EEC Ram

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by artois, Mar 28, 2005.

1. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi,

I have the opportunity to get a 1gb non ECC ram stich for my pc for £100 or 2gb in the form of 2x 1gb ECC ram sticks for an extra £40. I reckon the 2gb sounds like the best deal but I'm not running my pc as a server and have heard that ECC is slower than non ECC ram. Is this true and if so is the difference in speed noticable? Can anyone suggest what would be better as I dont really want to end up with the 2gb and it to be slower due to the error checking. If no one knows but may know of any other good places I may find this out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any input. :thumbsup:

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    its not really going to be noticeably slower to have EEC but its fairly pointless to have in a non-server. But if it's going to work out less money to have 2x 1gb EEC (which i find very surprising) then go for it as long as you know your motherboard supports it.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    echo what marc has wrote, it really will not be noticable at all and for the small price increment its probably worth getting. how is it that cheap for the 2gb out of curiosity ?

4. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Having looked into the matter tonight I have found out my motherboard doesnt support registered ECC ram so it looks like I'm gonna have to go for the non-ECC. Thanks for the advice anyway guys :thumbsup: