• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question HELP PLEASE. Samsung HW-J4000 2.1 question

donjm4

Novice Member
Hello! New here and a novice with audio. I was looking into getting a Samsung HW-J4000 2.1 which is sold together with Samsung SWA-8000 wireless rear speakers at Costco. I understand that 2.1 vs 5.1 is the amount of speakers but does a 2.1 allow for a surround sound that a 5.1 sound bar would allow?

By pairing the 2.1 system with the wireless speakers, doesn't it then become a 4.1 system? With that being said, because it is initially a 2.1 system will the sound still give you a 2.1 surround sound even if the wireless rear speakers are attached?

The Samsung websites markets this soundbar as a 2.1 but also makes it compatible with the samsung swa-8000 wireless speakers.

Maybe I'm over thinking but want to get the most out of my setup. This setup is for my master bedroom and I do want a home theater feel. Please help I do need some clarification.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
2.1 - means 5.1 is 'down mixed' to Stereo audio and the Bass frequencies directed to the Sub.

4.1 - if you add in the optional Rear Speakers 5.1 is mixed to 4.1.

If you want a Soundbar which utilises your side walls (assuming your room has them) to try and create a Surround effect you need to look at a different model of Soundbar.

Joe

donjm4

Novice Member
2.1 - means 5.1 is 'down mixed' to Stereo audio and the Bass frequencies directed to the Sub.

4.1 - if you add in the optional Rear Speakers 5.1 is mixed to 4.1.

If you want a Soundbar which utilises your side walls (assuming your room has them) to try and create a Surround effect you need to look at a different model of Soundbar.

Joe

Thank you for your reply. So basically it will not have the "surround effect" that a 5.1 soundbar would have.

As I look at reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, and Samsung websites, I find the Samsung HW-J4000 to have better ratings than compared to other 5.1 setups. Also better ratings than the Samsung HW-K950 which is $1000+ and has dolby atoms.

In your experience, is this due to the buyer being unaware of soundbars potential to produce sound like (5.1, dolby) and being happy with a good and cheaper soundbar. Is the 5.1 soundbar better overall?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Surround effect - where you wish to use a multi-driver Soundbar to try and create a Surround Sound experience the Soundbar has to 'bounce' sound off of your side (and rear) walls, if your room/room decor/seating layout allow that to happen you can get anything from rubbish through to acceptable 'Surround effects" with a suitable Soundbar.

Soundbar - there are huge variations in how well (or not) they perform.

5.1 vs 2.1 - even where you have a surround sound 'capable' Soundbar if your room/room decor/seating layout does not lend itself to bouncing audio around the room to your seating position then most often setting the Soundbar to 2.0 or 2.1 results in better audio quality.

Dialogue - the ability to follow dialogue is far more important than any 'surround sound' effects when you are trying to follow a Movie or TV show and dialogue is where many Soundbar designs fall apart!

Choose carefully and prioritise what really matters - especially when working to a budget.

Joe

donjm4

Novice Member
Surround effect - where you wish to use a multi-driver Soundbar to try and create a Surround Sound experience the Soundbar has to 'bounce' sound off of your side (and rear) walls, if your room/room decor/seating layout allow that to happen you can get anything from rubbish through to acceptable 'Surround effects" with a suitable Soundbar.

Soundbar - there are huge variations in how well (or not) they perform.

5.1 vs 2.1 - even where you have a surround sound 'capable' Soundbar if your room/room decor/seating layout does not lend itself to bouncing audio around the room to your seating position then most often setting the Soundbar to 2.0 or 2.1 results in better audio quality.

Dialogue - the ability to follow dialogue is far more important than any 'surround sound' effects when you are trying to follow a Movie or TV show and dialogue is where many Soundbar designs fall apart!

Choose carefully and prioritise what really matters - especially when working to a budget.

Joe

Thanks again for your quick reply. To be more specific...
This if for a master bedroom setup, where the TV and soundbar would be just 8-10 ft away, with the wall right behind for viewing. Side walls are just 5-6 ft from tv/soundbar. Right wall has a 2x10 that leads into the bathroom, which would be the only space sound wouldn't bounce from. The rear speakers would be place on the night stand, next to bed. This would seem like a good surround sound setup. I can afford more than the Samsung J4000 $299 including rear speakers.

Any recommendations for premium setups for this Bedroom setting?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you lack one ore more 'target' walls then a multi-driver Soundbar will likely not work effectively and using the 2.1 Soundbar with additional Rear speakers would seem like a better option.

Ideally the Surround speakers should be mounted a little higher than the nightstand otherwise the sound they output will in the main be blocked by whoever is sitting on the bed.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom