1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please re weak centre speaker in KEF 2005.2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yarand, Oct 4, 2004.

1. yarand

yarand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a recent purchaser of the KEF 2005.2 system, linked with a Yamaha DSPAX750, the system works brilliantly re sound effects (Independence Day, LOTR etc), but the centre satellite does seem to struggle with clarity of speech when there are other sounds (e.g. music) from the other satellites - speech is a bit muffled. I have tried increasing the centre satellite output but the problem is not really solved.
    Could this simply be a case of having to adjust the KEF sub-woofer crossover etc? I am a novice in the latter field and KEF's own documentation is less than helpful here.

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to say I had Kefs eggs,well overated, had them less than a year and sold them on,sound no better than the TV speaker,nice looks shame about the sound I found,rear effects were OK,front 3 were dire!

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had the 2005.2 package for about 11 months and simply couldn't live with them any longer, the center channel is indeed the weak link.
    I bought them on a whim last year as all the reviews were very posative but in my opinion the 2005.2 package is the most overrated speaker package on the market.
    I have in the last couple of months upgraded to the Monitor Audio Radius range of speakers and the difference is remarkable. Even the wife comments on it all the time so it must be true :smashin:

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I had the 2005.1 package and lived with them for about 18mths before selling them. I thought they were okay but getting a different sub certainly helped. The centre was definitely the weak link in the system, i had to have this increased by about 10db but it was still quite poor.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've actually demoed the setup suggested. I tried replacing the centre for a Q6c and had fantastic results and the same with Q4 as fronts and everything intergrates perfectly.

8. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I just want to add i am still using three of the eggs for rear usage and the sub for sub usage :D along with a Radius R225 center and a pair of R270's and the end result is a phenominal sounding system.
    I would advise anybody who own's or intends to buy the 2005.2 system to replace the center speaker with a kef Q6C , it integrates perfectly with the rest of the system

9. yarand

yarand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anybody else tell me their opinion re the KEF Q6C as a replacement for the 2005.2 centre speaker? Having already shelled out for the 2005.2 system I am loathe to spend even more if it's not going to make any appreciable improvement.
    I had listened to the 2005.2 system twice in advance of buying, but somehow I had failed to notice the inadequacies of the centre speaker for speech when there is other sound (e.g. music) in the background.

10. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spoken to Kef about this and they suggested adding the Q6C. Apparently it makes a heck of a difference and does indeed, integrate perfectly.
    If you have a 5.1 surround system I would suggest repositioning the centre speaker directly behind you as a rear and replacing centre with the Q6C. No wasted money and now 6.1!

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  12. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Q6C does work v well with the 2005.2 system and its only £150 (list price).

Upgrade to 6.1 with a Q6C.

13. yarand

yarand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to all - I will go ahead and try the Q6C.

14. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make sure you give it a good run in before you judge it though!

15. themoth

themoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Thanks to all - I will go ahead and try the Q6C."

I had this unit and the Q9c which i a currently using. both sound great as a nice center addition to the set up. However i noticed that the Q6c stood out more as an independent speakers as where the Q9c blended and added that boost the system had been missing. hope this helps you and gl. I like the ref 80/90/100 but the design atched with the rest of the set up looks out of place. The Q9c and Q6c have the new q series look and fit better. Are you still using the PSW2150? Great sub!!!:clap::hiya::D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  16. themoth

themoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree i was in this same spot as you and went with the Q9c and could not be happier although the above will work just as well. Just a matter of the budget. thanks

17. nickymarshall

nickymarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Is this still a problem with the 2005.3's, or have they been improved considerably?

18. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    good question, i've got these down as 'possibilities', but, and it should be for everyone in same position, i am going to hear them before buying, if i am not happy i won't buy, you can't go on what other people say, listen for yourself