Help please! PS3 won't connect to the internet (wired network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Danger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is really a cry for help on behalf of my brother who has just bought a PS3, but he is having difficulty in connecting it to our home internet connection.

I have taken the network cable out of our PC (which comes from our modem), and put it into the back of the PS3, gone into network settings and done the wizard thing to try and connect, it tries to connect, but it can't obtain an IP address. In fact the only IP address it can obtain is a 169 address which is no good to anyone.

The actual connection is fine, as I am sitting here and typing this message on our home PC, so the connection to our ISP is fine. Also when I connect it to the PS3, on the back where the LAN connector is the green lights are flickering, and when I pull the cable out the PS3 puts out a message on the screen saying "lan cable disconnected".

If there is some glaring omission I have made then please suggest it! As I am running low on ideas.

Thanks.

PS, we have Virgin Cable internet.

hi are you doing the easy settings? if so it should pretty much find it straight away over wired connection and another thing is that has me thinking there is something wrong is that it is saying lan cable disconnected and when mine is out it says ethernet cable disconnected so maybe it is thinking it is on some connection between too ps3s and not the outside world so too speak. Have you tried adding your ps3 on to your modem? port forwarding etc?

The way mine is set up is that i have the modem/router in the hallway and the port1 is going to bedroom by ethernet to the pc and port2 is going to my ps3 in the lounge try this and see what happens also see if it finds the connection by having the pc on at the same time(I know this is no use in the long run but it narrows down problems).

I have taken the network cable out of our PC (which comes from our modem), and put it into the back of the PS3, gone into network settings and done the wizard thing to try and connect, it tries to connect, but it can't obtain an IP address. In fact the only IP address it can obtain is a 169 address which is no good to anyone.

PS, we have Virgin Cable internet.

I have virgin and unless you reboot the modem every time you remove the LAN cable from your PC it won't like it. Just remove the power cable from the modem, leave for 30 seconds then power back up once you have plugged in the network cable to the PS3

, gone into network settings and done the wizard thing to try and connect, it tries to connect, but it can't obtain an IP address.

I just want to make sure I understand, are you trying to use the wizard on your pc to set up an internet connection (network setup wizard)???

All you should be doing is connecting the ethernet cable from your modem/router to your ps3 (which you have done), then going into network settings on the ps3, then go to internet connection settings,
then select easy,
then wired connection
then do no set
then automatic
then automatic
then do not use
then enable
and then save your settings.

A couple of points:

Are you sure your modem is issuing IP Addresses via DHCP? (the standard PS3 Setting)
The 169 address you refer to is an "Auto Configuration" address - ie the PS3 is issuing a DHCP request but getting no answer (from a DHCP Server)

Is is a modem or a router you have installed? On your PC if you click start>run type ipconfig in the black box, what address does it give?

I have virgin and unless you reboot the modem every time you remove the LAN cable from your PC it won't like it. Just remove the power cable from the modem, leave for 30 seconds then power back up once you have plugged in the network cable to the PS3

That may solve it on its own!

this is correct. unless you get a router you'll need to swap the cable from pc to ps3 each time and reboot the virgin modem.

once you've rebooted the modem... connect the cable and run the network setup on the ps3. you should only need to run the setup once, but you will need to reboot the modem each time you want to take the cable from pc to ps3

Yeah, its ok, its sorted now.

Its down to our ISP limiting its access to certain mac address cards or something or other.

Thanks.

Thats what most ISP's use, get a router with NAT filtering otherwise you'll need to fanny about with cable swapping and reassigning mac codes to the connection every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom