Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help Please - Problems with new JVC LT32D50 (long)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by spencerp, Jan 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spencerp

spencerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a sleepless night fretting about my new tv - hope someone here can help. Picked up the JVC from EmpireDirect on sunday. Set it up and was delighted with everything. However, last night I noticed for the first time that my Sky digibox (Sony) appears to be interfering with the signal from my cheap and cheerful Dual dvd player. The interference manifests itself as scrolling and flashing horizontal bands of differing colours. It appears to lessen in time, almost to the point of disappearing altogether when a dvd has been running for a while. Switching the Sky box off (or unplugging the scart lead) instantly cures the problem. No amount of fiddling with the cables makes any difference. Switching the output from the Dual to non RGB makes the problem go away (even if the Sky box is on) but the drop in PQ is unacceptable. I have no idea whether the problem is in the TV, the Sky box, the Dvd player or the bog standard scart cables I'm using.

Has anyone any idea what could be going on and how the problem can be fixed please?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the first thing to try is cabling. Something is causing cross connection RGB interference. Go to www.tvcables.co.uk and get twoor three of their fantastic flat scarts at £5.99.

Try again with these fitted.

Might be worth trying a friends Sky Box, in case yours is faulty.

I take it they are not 'daisy chained' together? Sky should be into Ext1 and the DVD into Ext2. The shouldn't interfere with each other at all.

Keep us updated.

Jimmy

3. spencerp

spencerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. There is a further issue... Ext 2 on the JVC can be used to send a signal out to a video recorder (so I could tape from Terrestrial digital for example). However, when I plug my dvd player (set to rgb) into Ext 1 I get a poor picture with a very green tinge - nothing I change in the settings either on the dvd or the tv makes any difference although interestingly the interference goes away. Both Ext 1 and Ext 2 are meant to be able to handle rgb. Dvd into Ext 2 is perfect (with a truly stunning picture) but with the Sky box on I get the interference. A scart goes from the Sky box into my video recorder. Another scart goes from the Sky box to the tv (Ext 1). I expect the output from the Sky box is set on default but I might be able to change it to rgb when I get home and see if that makes any difference. I don't know anyone with Sky so can't borrow a unit although in all other respects the box appears to be working properly. I've rung EmpireDirect and am waiting for an engineer to ring me back... :rolleyes:

4. spencerp

spencerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone with JVC. Their rep believes I have a faulty set (ext 1 should be able to take an rgb feed from a dvd player without any problem) thus freeing up Ext 2 to be connected to a vcr. I didn't mention the Sky interference thing as I'm not convinced that has anything to do with the tv. Will see what EmpireDirect have to say when their engineer rings - could be up to 48 hours to wait/fret :(

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was beginning to come to the conclusion that things arn't well with your TV. Yes, the Sky box should be set to RGB, but this'll will just improve the PQ a bit - it is not the cause of your dillemas...

Look forward to hearing what the engineer says.

Jimmy

6. spencerp

spencerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - turns out my Sky box was already set to rgb output. Curiously if I switch to pal the interference disappears but the picture quality worsens - not sure where this takes me....

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You have an RGB feed problem of some sort in the TV most likely...

Jimmy

8. spencerp

spencerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsam,

I hope you're right, although it remains to be seen whether the problem is specific to my set or a design issue. I got the LT32D50 specifically because its got Digital Terrestrial built in and I wanted to give myself the option of dumping Sky at a later date and not have to go out and get a Freeview box. The thing that's really doing my head in is that it doesn't matter which scart socket I plug my Sky box into, it works perfectly and you can see the PQ change as I change the settings from rgb to pal and back again. Why doing the same thing with my dvd player doesn't work has got me absolutely baffled! Perhaps thats why I'm a surveyor and not a television engineer!

I have a couple of queries for you if you don't mind

1) Setting aside quality issues, are all standard issue scart cables the same in terms of ability to send signals of all types in both directions - I just wondered if there could be something odd about my cables which is only now coming to light and that in some way they aren't able to transmit all data in both directions

2) If I want to output Digital terrestrial to my video recorder the scarts are meant to go from the tv output to the sky box and then to my vcr. This works fine when I play a video even if the Sky box is on but how can the signal from the tv get through to the vcr - do I have to switch off the Sky box or what? Logic suggests I could unplug the Sky box/Tv cable and plug it in to the spare scart on the vcr but I haven't tried this yet. Would rgb still work in this case cos it does markedly improve PQ.

Sorry to go on but this whole episode is beginning to get me down. Still waiting for a call from the EmpireDirect engineer - the things going back for a refund if I don't hear from them soon... :mad: