1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP please please Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Napier, Feb 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I have bought today Aelite 3's a Denon 3805 and 3910. I cannot get any sound through the speakers at all. I have bananna plugs from the speakers to the amp and I have tried plugging them into all ports there but nothing. I have the denon link connected. I have the digital out from DVD to coax 1 (digital port on amp). I have configured via on-screen display and set the coax 1 to be dvd.

I understand that currently I wont be able to have my tv output through the speakers as I need a phono lead to do that to the amp. However I just at this early stage want to play cd's or dvd's. I get the video up fine on the tv thats not a problem.

Please please please please help me with this as its doing my head in. I think its a cabling issue but I can't work out what I am doing wrong and the manual is mamoth. The manual also doesnt talk about bi wiring which I think I am doing with two speaker cables being used for each speaker currently. I just want 2 channel sound how do I do it please....

Napier

2. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

So you get no sound at all?

Have you checked your speakers are wired correctly?

Is there a speakers switch? sorry, I don't know your AVR that well, there may or may not be a speaker switch, If there is check it is set to A or B, depending how your speakers are wired to your AVR.

Have you tried using the tuner part of the AVR, and see if you can pick up radio?

Sorry, I can offer only limited help, as I dont own your AVR.

Maybe someone else can help?

Good Luck.

3. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there are no switches on the speakers, even if i switch to tuner nothing comes out of the speakers.

Anyone able to tell me how to get this to work I am desperate please.

Napier

4. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,
    Is there a speaker switch on your Denon 3805 not your speakers themselves?

Have you got headphones you can plug in try?

That way you can see if the AVR really works or not.

If I was you, i'd disconnect everything and start again.

Don't bi-wire your speakers this time, until you can solve the problem

5. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is no option on the speaker other than to bi-wire as they have four connectors at the back of them. I only have banana plugs and speaker cable. I have a digital cable for my sub which is coming soon. I have denon link, digital cable for coax 1 to digital out on dvd player.

I have on the denon:

front ports
    sub
    surround
    rear/zone 2 (second room)

I dont own any headphones so can test that, I would have thought that the tuner would have worked regardless of what the dvd player is doing. However nothing, not even hiss!

I can't call the shop as they are shut, I am in a state as I have spent so much money and can't get it to work.

Napier

6. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What colour is the power supply indicator LED on the front of the 3805?

7. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is green, there is power to the unit as I have gone through the one screen setup menu by plugging the digital into the video out of my tv and run through the menus. Nothing i do brings any sound, its as if I have cabled it up wrong however maybe I am missing a few cables or maybe because I am running digital and denon link it doesnt know which to use.

Still no joy.

8. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried going into the "Setting The Speaker Setup" screen, and checking that the speakers are set. and are not set to "None" ?
    Page 18 & 19 of manual

9. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have done a auto speaker setup and it has apprently done it, it went very quick though and didn't make any noise when it did so. I have gone through the setup page and I have large speakers for front. I am not sure where I should be plugging in my speakers to be honest. I have two speakers cables for each speaker. So 4 cables in total for speakers however for the front section at the back of the amp I can only plug in 2 cables. Therefore I have plugged them all into surround ports.

There is nothing plugged into 2ch channel ports on the dvd which worries me slightly as they had that in the demo room on memory.

Any ideas of what configuration I may have wrong that could be causing this?

Napier

10. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, What you have done is wrong.You should not plug the spare banana plugs in the surround ports.

To start turn off your 3805, then remove all you speaker cables,

Lets start with the front left and right channels, you say you have 4 wires coming from each speaker? and these wires are fitted with banana plugs

Is this correct?

11. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Have you removed the metal connects from your speakers.
    I mean the metal strips that connect the 2 red posts together, and
    the 2 black posts together.

Johnny.

12. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Ok can you remove the banana plugs at the amp end of the cable?

If so, then you need to find the two "+" or positive ends, and the two "-" or negative ends of the speaker cable, You then need to turn the two positive wires together to make a single wire , IE two positive wires turned together to make a single wire, and you then need to do the same for the negative end of the cable, two negative wires together, to make a single wire,
    You should now have two wires instead of four.

If so, then you can now refit a banana plug to each wire if you wish, or you can keep the wires bare.

But remember which side is positive and which side is negative.

You can now fit this speaker cable to your speaker port on your amp, the positive goes to the red side And the negative goes to the black side

You need to do this for each speaker wire that has 4 bannana plugs fitted.

Let us know how you get on.
    Good Luck. :)

13. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I unplugged the bottom set of speaker cables and am running now with just the top ones and it is working after I did a room auto setup it saved the config and I have sound. Only thing is I have to turn it up really loud (not sure if it is really loud or not -15 / -20 to get a decent sound out of it.

I am worried I have something still wrong..... sounds really really good though still playing with it but I love it! Thanx for all your help guys if you think I have done something wrong still please let me know.

Can you tell me please what volume level you have yours on when watching DVD's so that I can stop worrying.

Napier

14. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Glad its started to work,

But you still need to do what i posted last time, as some cones of your speakers will not be working until you do. This may be why you have to turn it up really loud .

Or you could just buy some normal two strand speaker cable,and replace the cable you have at the moment.If you do this, you also need to replace the metal connects in the speakers. IE the metal strips that connect the 2 red posts together, and
    the 2 black posts together.

Good Luck

15. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Napier, the sound level is ok.
    I am not sure of the exact numbers but I remember reading somewhere on this forum that 0 on the Denon is 75db, so -15 is 60db.

Johnny.

16. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    On my Denon 2805 -20 is ********loud I would suggest wiring as instructed to get speakers wires correctly and re run auto set up

17. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Music is louder however I am not hearing much out of the bottom cones... To recap I have bi-wired the speakers but only have the top two connecters at the back of the speakers connected to the amp in the ports that say front. There are only 4 front ports so they are filled with the top half cables from both speakers. I find that if I plug the bottom half in anywhere the amp shuts down! Is it normal to hear very little from the bottom cones, I have a worrying feeling the top connectors are for top two cones and bottom connectors are for bottom two. Can anyone confirm please, the bottom cones are vibrating but no real sound coming out...

Napier

18. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes that is the case, the bottom two cables you described will run the other drivers in your speaker. If you do as Duster has said then your speakers will most likely work correctly, give it a try and let us know.

19. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the distinct feeling that these bottom cables should be plugged in somewhere however where on the amp?

Maybe the actual wire within the banana plugs are not 100% correct its a possibility so will check this next as when I plug in all cables regardless of what port on the back of the amp I plug them in to the amp shuts down.

Something is going wobbly and I am stuck as to how to get the bottom cones to work.

Napier

20. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to do what duster said with the cables into the amp end - heres a diagram that might help

Attached Files:

21. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So for the front ports on the back of the amp you only have two cables and four banana plugs. How do you get this as I have 8 banana plugs. What does in the diagram the dotted line represent and what does the solid line mean. Have you spliced a cable together or something to make it one single connection at the other end?

Help please as this would make sense due to there only being four ports at the back of the receiver for the floorstanding front speakers. When I plug the bottom half of the speaker cables into any other ports the amp shuts down.

Napier

22. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read carefully dusters post #12 - you need to physically twist the wires together into 2 banana plugs, so for each speaker you will have 2 banana plugs at the amp end and 4 at the speaker end.
    Dont plug them into any other socket on the amp.
    Where have you plugged your surround & centre speakers, or don't you have any?

23. Madskilzz

Madskilzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Napier

Haven't you got a mate who can help you or how about where you bought your equipment from. You have spent alot of money on an excellent setup and it's clear your struggling to set it up. Sometimes you've just got to admit defeat before you damage something. Just my two pence worth.

All the best

Mark

24. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beat me to it mad! -

To be honest, if you are unsure about what to do, and if i had just spent 2 and a half grand on kit, i'd be phoning the guy at the shop and having him come round to my house, make me a nice cup of tea, wash my dishes, iron my shirts and then set it all up for me!

25. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totally right and I do need more advice and help from the shop but they dont work Sundays :-((((

I have spliced the two cables together now so its the same as diagram. i dont have any surrounds yet or sub so its not a mega complicated install I thought. Currently I have two cables coming from each speaker. They in turn have four plugs on the end of which are all plugged in at the speaker end. On the amp I have joined the positives and negatives together (made sure I have used same colour coding for both. Now when I play my music it is still not coming out of the bottom two cones.

I am not sure as they do vibrate and there is some dull background base but nothing so as you could hear from sitting away from the speakers. The top two cones are awesome and really love them but the bottom two seem to be doing very little with music on. Maybe these are just for base, I just can't believe that they play no active part in music and are supposed to be this quiet.

Any ideas? I am certain I have configured the amp right, just using pure direct mode, sounds great with the top two cones....

Please help.

Napier

26. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about your speakers, but if there is a metal strip / bar between the 2 sets of posts on your speakers you'll need to remove that.

27. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Between the connectors at the back of the speakers I do have a metal plate, I will remove it now and report back.

Napier

28. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    also when it does its testing on auto setup for the speakers it does the loud hiss noise out of all cones so they must be able to work, metal bar out doing a auto setup now, will let you know, I really hope this works and fixes this problem I am certain the bottom cones should be playing the sounds too.

Napier

29. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bugger didn't work, I now get an error message saying "Error, FL FR phase"

what does phase mean?

30. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, you'll need to make sure that you don't have a subwoofer selected on the speaker setup as the low frequencies might not get sent to your speakers.
    But your amp is a bit above my league i'm afraid. maybe a 3805 owner can help