1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please Plasma choice > going round in circles

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimbowley, Oct 24, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I had chosen the Panny PWD6. But now I'm thinking of the Hitachi 42PD3000. One reason for the shift is that I am now favouring corner of room positioning. The stand which comes with the Hitachi is now wanted and is extra cost for the pwd6. I'm also thinking of using the attched speakers as the centre channel.

My requirements are:

1) Best picture possible from DVD (I will by an appropriate player).
    2) Good picture from freeview.
    3) OK picture from cable Eurosport (is that possible?)
    4) Maybe get a game box in future, but maybe not.

So which should I get? If the PD3000 is a better picture I don't mind spending a few extra quid. Or is there something else for £2000 I should consider.

All comments welcome
    Jim

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PD3000 now relatively out of date and superceded. Of course the same charge could be levelled at the PW6, but only just. If you want a stand mount, side speakers etc then maybe it or something similar is a best buy for you, but bear in mind £2300 or so gets you a Viera, the current king of plasma TV. It's a PW6 wrapped in convenience aids, but a few features left off. Also do a search in this forum for PD3000, you'll turn up a few surprises. The later Hitachis do seem to be better. The attached speakers will be as good as a £200 home cinema system, ie not very. Tonal match could be a problem too, I never recommend this approach.

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,813
    I used to own a pd3000,sent it back to John lewis because of the buzzing.Now own a PW7 and the picture quality is so much better.Buy a panasonic you won't be disapionted.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    BTW your eurosport, that's digital cable I hope?

5. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'm back to PWD6 then. I wasn't sure if I liked the speakers on the side anyway. I was also a bit brainwashed by Richer Sounds guy who didn't seem interested in selling me anything except a PD3000.

Eurosport will be cable digital, you're right, I'm still on analogue at the moment ( at least I think I'm on it, but maybe I'm just picking up leakage from next door's tv, its hard to tell).

Panny it is then. You now have a blank canvas (but not chequbook) on the video side!!!! So what should I get?

panny input cards
    freeview box
    DVD player
    and assume a Telewest digital cable box.

cheers
    jim

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    How about sound?

7. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes, I suppose that get's involved with the switching. I've got an old pioneer pro-logic amp at the moment, which I'll replace with a Dolby digital receiver/amp model tbd.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, best get that sorted in conjunction. A couple of conceptual options, basically scart switching or component switching. Scart will cost you less, component in the end is a better way to go, and if you need to buy a freeview box as well, then go component, a nice Yamaha if budget is already stretched, a 550 perhaps. Then the netgem freeview, buy it from BT at £65, it does component video from scart. Strange but true. Yam DVD will work on the same remote as the amp, some leads, and then see about eurosport. So far it's all leads, no boards, but telewest will need something probably maybe best with a scart board, unless they give you one of the oddball set top boxes that do s-video instead of rgb. so I'd leave that until you know, or you may find you've been thrown a curved ball so to speak.

10. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent thanks.

No input boards needed yet because PWD6 has component input already? The spec says "RGB Input (PC/Component)" so that means RGB or YUV then ?

AV-sales offer 1 free board, so if I've got a Yam to switch component inputs I guess my free board should be the "Composite and SVHS (shared) BNC" or "Scart" (what does the scart board give you?) I will find out what Telewest dig boxes put out to make that decision.

I won't be connecting my PS1 because I only play shooting games and they won't work on a plasma.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are there. Free board, it may not be perfect, but get the scart. It accepts RGB, S-video and composite, you'll be covered.

The other advantage is that you can plug in any scart components and see the setup menus, very handy as none of them will be delivered configured for your setup.

12. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good last point on the scart.

credit card is poised, judt heading of to the AVreicever section.

13. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Yam DVD player would you recommend to go with the RXV550?

Would the combo look/sound better than Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + DVD55 (total price £330 at Richer sounds).

Ta.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PLease do your self a favour and consider other retailers for such a large purchase..... go for a dealer who can offer support and advice not a box shifter... Saving £50 on £2k+ purchase is not a good idea if at the end of the day there is something your not happy with and the web based supplier stops responding to emails or is being unhelpful it can be very frustrating......... :lesson:
    Lesson over..... So what you buying?

15. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS is local to me, so I can take stuff back if I don't like the way it sounds. If they beat AV-Sales price I'll get my plasma there as well.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    UP to you mate but i know who i would rather buy from..... packing plasmas up for return is a real pain in the arse..... they dont fit in your car... unless it is a large 4x4! Becareful..... OH and check RS stock dont let them push you into what they stock from what you want.... they are very good at that

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Richer sell the panasonic, but don't stock boards. It's an uphill struggle to get boards out of other retailers on their own, be warned. The cambridge stuff is pretty good generally, I would go that way if buying from Richers. They own the brand, so you can be sure it's new, not imported, not end of line, not re-boxed etc. Check the plasma if you buy it there, the box should be stamped BX after TH42PWD6.