Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help please!! PHILIPS 32PF5520D/10 not suitable for Hi-Def games e.g. XBOX 360, PS3??

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by ainat, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!!! This is my very first post on this forum although I've been reading for a while and have found the members to be very informative and helpful. So I'm hoping that I can get some advice from the members here! :)

I've read in a magazine that the PHILIPS 32PF5520D/10 is not suitable for hi-def gaming as the ghosting issue is really bad. I think it was either from "stuff" or "T3". I've been reading around (including this forum and the set seems like a good deal at first, well at least before I saw the comment about the ghosting issue anyway, but the thing is that I've already gone and order the tv :( ). Anyhow, the mag said that any gamer intend to use XBOX 360 or PS3 on their LCD should stay well clear of this set.

I intend to use the LCD for gaming mainly (360,PS3 etc) and also as a PC monitor. I have already ordered the set but it hasn't been dispatched yet so hopefully I can cancel the order or change it to another model should this model fail to meet my requirements.

Any suggestions regarding the suitable LCD for my purpose (HD Gaming, DVD, Connectivity, 32",budget around £1,000) would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently looking at Samsung LE32R41BDX as an alternative, but am a bit scared of the tearing issue! I know there is a thread compiling all the models, but with so many issues around the LCD I feel a little lost.

Sorry for the long thread, but I'm in desperate help as I need to do something before the order ships!!! Many thanks to anyone who could help me out. :lease: help out a newbie!

Cheers. :thumbsup:

2. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The tearing issue with the LE32R41BDX has been sorted with a firmware update that you can do manually, just to let you know :)

3. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul, much thanks for your response. I heard that there's a fix out for it, but have no clue about the actual situation. So how does one apply the firmware update manually? Originally I thought that if this was the case I'd have to send the screen away which is not cool at all! It's be really good if it could be done without sending the tv away.

I looked at the Philips 32PF5520D spec again and the response time isn't that great... (18ms). So may be I should go for the Samsung instead!

Anyway thanks again for your reply. Any further suggestions are welcome as I'm still looking for my ideal LCD......

4. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Samsung cand send out an engineer, or send you the software on CD and a serial-3.5mm jack lead for you to do it yourself (providing you have a PC)

5. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Samsung will send out a cable, CD etc so you can link your TV to your PC and update it that way :)

And about other TV suggestions, I did make a thread here with a list of 32" LCDs under £1000. In all honesty it has become a little redundant now the Samsung tearing problem has been sorted, as that's generally regarded to be the best amongst it's price range.

6. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your advice! So I take it, that if the model in question could be affected with the problem all we have to do is call Samsung and it will be sorted (either by DIY with all cables provided or let Samsung engineer sort it out). If that's the case then I'm happy!

Paul, I was looking for your thread earlier, but for some reason couldn't find it!! I was looking throug it for the past week or so to help me making the big decision!! Very helpful thread there!

I think I'll have to go with Samsung now. As I've oredered the Philips set from Comet (for £984 which I think is ok considering the price has now gone up to £1099!!) But the Samsung is not cheap in Comet! So I'll either have to persuade them to price match other online retailers somehow (doubt it though as they'd probably only match Argos, Dixon etc..), or I'll just cancel the order entirely. Now I'll jusy have to try my luck and see if there's anywhere that still stock the Samsung at a reasonable price!

How about you Paul, did you go for the Samsung set as well after making that thread? Anyhow, thanks once again for your help! :thumbsup:

Cheers.

7. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I went for the Samsung set (with the Digital tuner) from Here for £840 Delivered. Unfortunately it's not here yet, but I'm expecting it on Monday :) I ordered it as soon as the tearing problem was sorted, as that was the only thing putting me off the set.

8. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul, Thanks for the info! I checked the site out, but the site was a bit difficult to navigate! Either that or I'm just stupid! Anyway, I did find the tv in the end (took me while....) for the price you said. I haven't heard about this company before though. Have you order from them before or know anyone that has?

When I saw your thread I was immediately drawn to the Samsung set as well, but the tearing issue put me off big time! I hope waratah has got the new lot of stock so the set would be without the tearing issue! Just to save the hassle of upgrading the firmware ourselves!

I'm thinking of going with the one with digital tuner as well! I'm going to poke around their site a little more, finding out info about their company, delivery method etc... then I might just order one. Hope you get your tv tomorrow. If you do it'd be nice if you could post a mini personal review(if you have any free time after playing with your new toy that is!). Sure there are quite a few personal reviews on this set, but it's nice to hear more from a different perspective! :smashin:

9. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A few other people ordered it from Waratah last week and it was delivered to them the next day with no problems whatsoever (via Initial City Link) :) Just call them on Monday and see if they have any left.

I totally agree about the review/different perspective- the one thing that makes choosing which LCD to go for is the lack of reviews or opinions on each particular set. Let's hope it does arrive Monday then, and I'll gladly post my thoughts once I've had a good play with it :D

10. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to hear! It's so hard to shop through the internet these days as there're so many unreliable suppliers around. I really don't want to mess about with a reasonably big purchase like this.

I'll have to read through their return policy etc.. in case of any trouble! Hopefully there'll be no issue with nasty dead pixels! By the way what's the actual response time of the Samsung model? Is it 12ms? I think the standard is something like 16ms? Is 12 ok for HD games?

I'll be looking forward to your review! Enjoy your soon to arrrive new toy! :clap: