Help please. Panasonic tx32lxd70- poor reception BBC

maratty

Standard Member
Reaction score
New aerial connected to new HD TV. All DVB and Analogue channels picked up and working OK accept all BBC DVB (they intermittently pixelate and the sound breaks up )channels, if I switch to analogue BBC channels then they appear OK.Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be?

Could be lower signal strength on the BBC mux caused by aerial alignment. Can you check the signal strength? Also try a rescan for digital channels.

I have an 18 element group C/D aerial connected to a wall just above the rear bedroom window which I use for a bedroom TV. It gets a lower signal than the chimney aerial but it worked fine for BBC chans but not so good on ITV and Five TV. I recently had the rear guttering replaced and this aerial got knocked slightly out of position. Now the commercial channels are giving excellent reception with BBC channels so and so with occasional pixilation. Using a brush head to manipulate the aerial slightly (no more than a couple of inches) I can alter the signal strength on the TV to give perfect reception BBC/poor on others to poor on BBC/excellent on others dependent upon which position I leave the aerial in.

The aerial alignment on the transmitter is roughly parallel with the wall so I don't have much choice but I am very surprised that a movement of two inches or less causes such a signal variation between channel muxes. It doesn't have much effect on the analogue channels with 1 to 5 all being okay.

Could be lower signal strength on the BBC mux caused by aerial alignment. Can you check the signal strength? Also try a rescan for digital channels.

Many thanks Royold;

I,ll try your suggestions.

sounds like youre in a poor signal area - fairly unlikely youre in a NO signal area

at 1st i had the same problem - then moved my very small indoor aerial nxt 2 the window and that way could get most channels - but still had some missing - like channel 4, itv, itv2, e4 etc etc

got my panasonic tx32lxd70 today and the built in ffrreeview receiver on it is much better than the £20 one from Argos. now i get all freeview channels with the same aerial. though 5mins after all of them working half of them now say no signal - thinking of getting and outdoor one/

do you guys think this will improve my signal??? was thinking of one of these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outdoor-Digit...yZ101365QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any idea weather i can get one of these outdoor waterproof ones that get their power from the TV rather than plugged in the mains? my current small one you jus hook up to the tv - no need for mains power.

cheers guys :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I've noticed this on my Panasonic 37PV500 last week that only on BBC channels that I also get intermittently pixelate and the sound breaks.
I Have a outside aerial which was professional installed 3 months ago.I get 9 out of 10 for signal strength.
My DVB tuner will also will not tune in Channel 19 Dave. I have done Factory Reset- Software update and also Rescan and it hasn't made any difference.

On my Humax 9200 PVR connected to the same Tv all BBC are Fine and also Channel 19 Dave is there.

On my Lg Lcd in Bedroom all BBC are fine and Channel 19 is there.

I think it is my Plasma's DVB is going wrong .

I've noticed this on my Panasonic 37PV500 last week that only on BBC channels that I also get intermittently pixelate and the sound breaks.
I Have a outside aerial which was professional installed 3 months ago.I get 9 out of 10 for signal strength.
My DVB tuner will also will not tune in Channel 19 Dave. I have done Factory Reset- Software update and also Rescan and it hasn't made any difference.

Just in case this is due to weather conditions - wind and heavy rain etc.........

On a good weather day - remove the aerial connection from your TV and do a scan for digital channels.
With no aerial connection it shouldn't find any so your tuner will be blank.

Then use a direct aerial co-axial connection from the main aerial DIRECT to the TV aerial connection
(i.e. No daisy chain links in circuit), and do a channel rescan.

This should then find the optimum channels in your area including the elusive Dave on Channel 19.

If you are still missing any channels from the various muxes I would try a TV booster (the one outlet type for highest gain) to see if that gives any improvement.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

http://www.maxview.co.uk/acatalog/TV_AMPLIFIERS_&_FILTERS.html

Note that Dave is on Multiplex C which includes Sky News (82) Sky Three (11) and E4+1 (30) so if you are getting the latter channels you should also get Dave.

There are so many possible reasons but let me suggest the opposite from everyone else. Your signal is too strong and the analogue transmissions are intermittently "blinding" the Freeview tuner. If I'm right, it will be marginally worse after dusk.

Just in case this is due to weather conditions - wind and heavy rain etc.........

On a good weather day - remove the aerial connection from your TV and do a scan for digital channels.
With no aerial connection it shouldn't find any so your tuner will be blank.

Then use a direct aerial co-axial connection from the main aerial DIRECT to the TV aerial connection
(i.e. No daisy chain links in circuit), and do a channel rescan.

This should then find the optimum channels in your area including the elusive Dave on Channel 19.

If you are still missing any channels from the various muxes I would try a TV booster (the one outlet type for highest gain) to see if that gives any improvement.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

http://www.maxview.co.uk/acatalog/TV_AMPLIFIERS_&_FILTERS.html

Note that Dave is on Multiplex C which includes Sky News (82) Sky Three (11) and E4+1 (30) so if you are getting the latter channels you should also get Dave.

Thanks for the Advice .I already have a masthead ampilfier so I'll take the Humax PVB out of the Daisy Change and see what happens.
I also noticed Sky News Sky Three and E4+1 are also Missing:(

There are so many possible reasons but let me suggest the opposite from everyone else. Your signal is too strong and the analogue transmissions are intermittently "blinding" the Freeview tuner. If I'm right, it will be marginally worse after dusk.

Also Thank you . You are right that it does get worse after Dusk. I have also noticed that a bird has put a slight bend on 1 of the bars that sticks out on my aerial . Would that make a difference.

It's just strange .Could it be an Atmospheric seasonal change that makes my signal to strong and it will fix itself maybe next month.:confused:

Update.

Connected Aerial Directly to Tv . Rescaned and all channels on Multiplex C are there and all BBC channels have no pixelation or sound breaks:clap:

Then I connect the Humax 9200 (via Aerial Daisy Chain) BBC Channels still Pixelate but not as bad :(But on all the Multiplex C Channels all I get is a No Signal:confused:

But It may be a coincidence but I had a software update about 2 weeks ago on the Humax and everything was fine before then.

I have an 18 element group C/D aerial connected to a wall just above the rear bedroom window which I use for a bedroom TV. It gets a lower signal than the chimney aerial but it worked fine for BBC chans but not so good on ITV and Five TV. I recently had the rear guttering replaced and this aerial got knocked slightly out of position. Now the commercial channels are giving excellent reception with BBC channels so and so with occasional pixilation. Using a brush head to manipulate the aerial slightly (no more than a couple of inches) I can alter the signal strength on the TV to give perfect reception BBC/poor on others to poor on BBC/excellent on others dependent upon which position I leave the aerial in.

The aerial alignment on the transmitter is roughly parallel with the wall so I don't have much choice but I am very surprised that a movement of two inches or less causes such a signal variation between channel muxes. It doesn't have much effect on the analogue channels with 1 to 5 all being okay.

Would that be a dedicated Labgear or Philex broom Roy? especially for aerial alignment ? :D

Would that be a dedicated Labgear or Philex broom Roy? especially for aerial alignment ? :D

Ah, if only I was so lucky as to own such a dedicated device. Sadly its just a battered old broom but it just manages to access the aerial upright joint so I can hook the brush head around the bottom of the aerial to pull one way or push the other whilst watching the TV at the same time. I couldn't do that on the ladder. ....... and my joints ache so much these days that I can barely lift the ladder. (sciatica)

Hoping that I will not need the brush when switchover occurs next year. Meantime I have decided that the ITV choice gives me the most channels selection for the winter months .....but.....I may open the window again when the spring dawns.:thumbsup:

Update.

Connected Aerial Directly to Tv . Rescaned and all channels on Multiplex C are there and all BBC channels have no pixelation or sound breaks:clap:

Then I connect the Humax 9200 (via Aerial Daisy Chain) BBC Channels still Pixelate but not as bad :(But on all the Multiplex C Channels all I get is a No Signal:confused:

Try a TV booster to increase your signal. Also, prior to connecting a booster, purchase a new coaxial cable link to fit between the Humax co-ax out socket and the TV. The one you are presently using may be faulty or poor quality.

Try a TV booster to increase your signal. Also, prior to connecting a booster, purchase a new coaxial cable link to fit between the Humax co-ax out socket and the TV. The one you are presently using may be faulty or poor quality.

Thanks . I'll check all cables.
Today I noticed that if the Humax 9200 is on Stand-by the picture on the tv is great and all Multiplex C are there. So I started to watch Dave on Channel 19. I decided to turn on the Humax lost Dave straight away (NoSignal). Put back to stand-by and Channel 19 Returns.

The reason is that there is not enough RF signal to run both tuners to give good reception on multiplex C.

So either the cable between your Humax and the TV has a high loss or, more likely, you need a TV booster to up the signal strength.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom