Help Please! Optimum connections - Sony OLED TV, Sky Q, Sky Soundbox

Gr11mb0

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve just treated myself in the Black Friday sales, and I‘m looking for help in configuring my new kit (the TV is a Sony Bravia KD55A8 OLED) - apologies if this is a hackneyed question, but it’s been several years since I set up my last combination of kit and things have moved on a bit!

1) Is there a recommended or optimum way to connect up this collection of kit? Are there any resources/diagrams on this anywhere (my site/forums search didn’t throw up an obvious ‘master reference’ for this) e.g

a) I assume HDMI (ARC) from TV to the Soundbox, so that audio from any TV source is played through the Soundbox?

b) HDMI from the Sky Q box to the TV? But is there any need to connect the Sky Q to the Soundbox too (using the optical cable) - or will this just confuse things?

c) Sky Q needs to be connected to an internet router - I assume that I should connect the TV directly too?

2) If both the TV and Sky Q are connected to the internet, should I watch Netflix (or anything else) via Sky Q or directly on the Sony/Android TV app?

3) Are there any other things I should (or shouldn’t!) do or setup tweaks I should make to get the best out of this kit?

Many thanks all - excited to get it all working tomorrow!

It's simple, you connect Sky Q box to the soundbox's HDMI input and the soundbox's HDMI output to any HDMI input on the TV.

If you want to use the TVs apps instead of Sky, then you connect the soundbox to the ARC HDMI port of the TV and connect the Sky Q box to another HDMI port separately.
The TV then returns audio from apps to the soundbox.

EDIT* Sky Soundbox doesn't support HDMI ARC so just connect the box via optical instead. It will work the same way.

Thanks @Dodgexander ... This now gives me a different issue:

We would like to listen to the TV (which has great sound) for most content, using the Soundbox only for movies or other programmes where audio is a particular feature.

Having set up the Soundbox as recommended, I thought it would be easy just to keep it in Standby mode and then just switch it fully on when we need it. However, the Soundbox switches on whenever I hit the Home key on the remote, or whenever I change channels or whenever I switch on the TV ie. whenever I do anything!

Are there settings I can change to stop this - or do I have to revert to Optical connection only and lose a load of Soundbox features (in which case I might as well send it back and use my Q Acoustics M4 instead)?

Many thanks for any advice....

I've just got the same TV and I'm installing it.

SkyQ - I have the UltraHD package so that means I get some 4k stuff and Netflix runs in 4k. However, what is the best setting to output from the SkyQ box - 1080i, 1080p, or 2160p? I believe if I set it to 2160p it means the Sky box will be doing all the upscaling i.e. of those poor quality channels - the TV is far better at upscaling so I'd rather this didn't happen on the box.

So shall I stick to 1080p? Does this mean constant switching if I want to watch 4k?

I'm sticking with the inbuilt Netflix and Disney apps by the way.

SkyQ - I have the UltraHD package so that means I get some 4k stuff and Netflix runs in 4k. However, what is the best setting to output from the SkyQ box - 1080i, 1080p, or 2160p? I believe if I set it to 2160p it means the Sky box will be doing all the upscaling i.e. of those poor quality channels - the TV is far better at upscaling so I'd rather this didn't happen on the box.

So shall I stick to 1080p? Does this mean constant switching if I want to watch 4k?

it’s a good question - suggest you post this as new thread with an appropriate title, as it will get lost here.

Yes, you will need to switch the Sky Q box video output if you want to watch UHD.

From my experience, if you set the Sky Box to 1080i which is how HD is broadcast on Sky, you do get better upscaling from the TV. When watching UHD programmes the Sky box has to be set to 2160p. So you either keep it on 2160 as I do or keep changing sometime several times in an evening. Of course you could avoid UHD content.

Thanks guys
So that makes the SkyQ a bit useless. Manually switching output doesn't quite work at home.

I'll try the 1080i suggestion and see how it looks. Looks like my Sky Ultra HD subscription was a bit of a waste - although it does save me money on the Netflix UHD subscription.

I keep my Sky Q at 2160.
I tried 1080 and carefully compared both settings on my Panasonic TX-49FX750 but could see no difference so just left it at 2160.
I never watch anything on SD channels.

I keep my Sky Q at 2160.
I tried 1080 and carefully compared both settings on my Panasonic TX-49FX750 but could see no difference so just left it at 2160.
Totally agree, I did it on a dx802b and when I replaced that with an xg9505 and I could see no difference plus staffing about changing back to uhd was a hassle so left it at 2160.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom