1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help (please!) on archiving (again!)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by theboyjb, Apr 14, 2004.

1. theboyjb

theboyjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old Canon Hi8 camcorder which I have just replaced with a Sony TRV60. I want to archive old Hi8 footage to my pc via the firewire out on the TRV60. Both camcorders have S-VHS and AV (3.5mm) connections.

I have connected the two camcorders via S-VHS and have no problem capturing the video. However, I am scratching my head as to what to do with the sound.

Is there a compatible Canon>Sony lead I should be buying to go between the two 3.5mm connections? If so where should I buy it? Maplin seem to have only a Sony>Sony lead?

Also, if this is the way forward, how can I be sure that the Sony is taking the video from the S-Video cable and not the AV cable (in order to get maximum quality output.)

Or should I give up and just go via scart in/out on a VCR?

Any help much appreciated.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With both of your cameras you should have had a lead supplied with a multi-pole 3.5mm jack plug at one end and the other end terminating in a yellow, red and white Phono (RCA) connector. for connecting your camera to a TV/VCR - plug these into their appropriate cameras.

You need to connect the two reds together and the two whites by means of phono couplers that you can get at your local Maplins- do not connect the yellows together as that is the video and you do not want to make that connection to ensure the picture is transferred over your S-video link.

S-video does not carry sound so you need the additional connection.

3. theboyjb

theboyjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah! Phono couplers! Brilliant. Thanks very much for the advice. :smashin: