Help please. No Digital with new TV and Virgin box.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by wulfrun, Jan 15, 2008.

1. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. Today i replaced my good old Bush Internet tv -never a problem in 7yrs- with a Panasonic 26LMD70A.

I've got the old telewest active digital box , so i hooked this up to the new TV with an RF cable.

Problem is when i go to Set Up or tuning , i get the message ''No DVB Service Found ''. Consequently , i can get all my Virgin channels , but only in analogue
    mode.

Now the problem is either with the TV , the old Telewest box , or the way i've got it connected.

I rang up Virgin and spoke to some chap in India who hadn't a clue what i was on about -surprise , surprise - but he said an engineer would come round next week.

If anybody has any thoughts on this i would be grateful for any replies.

Oh yes , and i'm another 4mb broadband user being ripped off by their Traffic Management policy as they call it . Bxxxxxxs.

2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It's best to connect using RGB scart :smashin:

RF will give a poor looking composite image :thumbsdow

The RF input on your TV is designed to tune-in digital terrestrial (Freeview) via a rooftop aerial, not digital cable. This is why you are getting "No DVB Service Found".

3. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Benraz.

So if i get a good RGB scart connected from from the Virgin box to the TV will that be all i need ? I won't need to use a RF lead at all.

4. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Correct. Simply connect a half-decent scart lead & then change your Virgin box settings so that it outputs in RGB, rather than composite. No RF required :)

Night mate :hiya:

5. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again Benraz.

One problem though. How the hell do i change the Virgin box settings ? As i say , i've got the old Telewest active digital box.

6. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The Virgin box only transmits analogue signals over RF. The DVB tuner is for digital channels transmitted over the air. As a previous poster says - use a SCART cable and set the box to RGB.

7. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It should be something along the lines of: Main Menu > Settings > Change Display & Audio Settings > Colour Output > RGB.

8. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again for the replies.

Well , i went to Maplins and got a Nikkai scart for £7.99 , and i 've worked out how to change the setting to RGB in the old Telewest box.

But i've still got problems . I've connected the scart from the box to the tv. However , when i press the TV button on the remote i still get the message No DVB Service Found. And when i go to the tuning function , it doesn't detect any digital or analogue channels and gives a message saying i have to connect an aerial.

However , if i press the AV button , i get the message AV1-RGB , and i get all the channels with a decent though not perfect picture.

If i change the connections back to the RF cable then i get the analogue pictures through the TV button as before.

So now i'm even more confused.

BTW , in the telewest box settings , i only have the 4.3 normal , 4.3 letterbox and widescreen options , and when i press Technical Stuff , some of the displays say ''Tuning Parameters Corrupt''. Don't know whether this is relevant or not.

Again any help much appreciated.

9. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    This is correct. It'll only ever find Freeview channels in this mode & it'll only do that if you connect a rooftop aerial to it.

Also correct. It won't find any digital channels for the reason stated above & it won't find the five analogue channels because you've unplugged the RF coming from the Virgin box (Feel free to plug it back in if you want to, for whatever reason!)

Correct too - this is the way most people have cable set up. Also, if you switch on your Virgin box *after* the TV's been switched on, your TV should automatically switch to AV1 for you :)

Regarding the picture, unfortunately you can't expect SD to look quite as good as it did on your smaller CRT. If you really find it unwatchable, it may be worth upgrading to Virgin's V+ box which upscales SD to better match your HDTVs higher resolution :)

Set it to widescreen for your TV. Finally, make sure the scart lead is connected to the socket marked "TV" on the back of the Virgin box.

10. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Excellent , many thanks Benraz.

Now that i've adjusted the scart a bit the picture is now very good- watching Liverpool v Luton , Peter Crouch looks even more arms and legs than usual:)

So am i right in saying that if you're using a virgin box then DVB is off limits and can only be used with an old style aerial ?

Am i now getting digital or analogue pictures ?

Is the sound i now get mono or Nicam stereo ?

Do you think its worth upgrading to a V+ box ? To be honest i'm ****** off with Virgin for throttling my broadband and don't want to fork out any more to them.

Thankks again for all your help.:thumbsup:

11. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yep, Digital Terrestrial (DVB-T) is off limits unless you connect using an aerial.

Digital Cable (DVB-C).

Stereo.

Apart from upscaling SD well, it's a triple tuner PVR - so it has its benefits. Plus it's currently half price installation at £75. Personally, I'd wait a few months to see if any more HD channels appear on it, as it's just BBC HD at the mo. Channel 4 HD & ITV HD are due on FreeSat around Spring. If VM don't at least get those two around the same time, I'll probably switch :suicide:

12. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    To get a decent picture with LCD TVs it helps not to have the backight (brightness) or the sharpness set too high. And turn of any noise reduction stuff as well.

13. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again Benraz for all your help.

I was wondering about the stereo because nicam doesn't appear in the Audio menu.

I'll leave off upgrading to a V+ box for the time being. If you can only get BBC1 on HDMI it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Mr. Monday , at what levels do you have brightness and sharpness set to ?

14. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It's automatic :thumbsup:

15. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :D

I'm a total novice.

16. Jayceef1

Jayceef1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You will find that your Standard Def picture will be much better with a V+ box if connected via HDMI almost HD quality. plus there is a fair bit of HD on demand now. C4HD is due to be on VM by end of March so may be worth getting now for the half price deal.

17. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Jayceef.

Having just forked out £350 for the tv , i'm having to tighten my belt at the moment.

I never buy any of their on demand stuff , any film i want i'll get off the net , but it would be tempting for a top notch picture , though it seems pretty good to me at the moment.

Do they provide all the cables if you upgrade to V+ ?

18. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yep, they supply an HDMI cable - which is all you need for video & stereo sound :)

The only cable you'd have to supply yourself is an optical lead - which is needed if you want to connect the V+ to an amp/receiver for DD 5.1 sound. Other than that, you're sorted :)

19. Jayceef1

Jayceef1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You're Welcome. Although you have to pay for films nearly all the other on demand programmes are free and there are hundreds.

20. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just been to the Virgin site , which is almost impossible to find your way round , and can't find anything about the £75 offer , at least not for existing customers.

Anybody know how long its supposed to last ?

21. wulfrun

wulfrun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Forget that:) I've just read the V+ Installation £75 thread and it seems you have to ring them up and negotiate.