Help please networking over virign media cable broadband

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem with my xbox 360 as a media centre extender and was wondering if anyone can help?

I have changed my xbox 360 mac address to that of my pc to enable the xbox 360 to go online, however it won't talk to my vista home premium pc.

I have a virgin media dsl modem connected to a netgear powerline hdx101 which is connected over my electrical mains to my pc via another hdx101. I have a 3rd hdx101 downstairs which my xbox 360 is plugged into.

All hdx101 have the latest firmware and they work fine as they have all been swapped around.

The hiccup occurs when I try to connect my pc to the xbox 360 as a media extender. I enter in the 8 digit code correctly, but the vista pc cannot detect the xbox 360 for some unknown reason.

I am completely at a loss and don't know who to contact, as my internet is working fine, the hd powerlines are working fine as the router can talk to my pc and the xbox 360 itself can connect to the xbox live servers and finds itself an ip address after going through the pc's mac address.

Do I need another router? How would I connect it?

Is there another way to get it to work?

I really hope someone can help as I am at a complete loss. Thanks.

Have you tried letting the 360 use it's own MAC address to see if that works?

Have you tried letting the 360 use it's own MAC address to see if that works?

Tried that mate and it can't acquire an ip address unfortunately.

Can you get a connection if just the 360 and PC adaptors are connected?

Not sure what you mean mate.

Unplug the adapter that's connected to the internet so that you just have the pc and the 360 connected. If that works then you may need to be a router but I'm not sure where abouts in the chain you'd need to put it.

dsl modem -> public interface <router> private interface -> hdx101 infrastructure (your network).

The DSL modem will give the public interface of the router an IP address and everything on the private side will get a, ahem, private IP address. Most routers will come with DHCP enabled and pretty much everything should through them. The "internet" will only "see" the public interface of the router.

Probably should have posted this in the "networking" forum.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have ordered a dsl modem and see if that sorts things out.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom