Help Please - Need low cost way to power speakers in pub (Denon AVR-1912?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by moultymagic, Jan 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. moultymagic

moultymagic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - please go easy on me... I know almost zero about AV setups, hence why I am here asking, what will seem to most, a dumb question.

Here goes...

My uncle has just brought a pub. There are 5 or 6 speakers (small Wharfdale I think) already installed and cabling is present. The previous owner has taken away whatever was there to power the speakers and so we need to buy a replacement.

He has an ipod (that he will use as the music source) and I was thinking about the Denon AVR 1912 to power the speakers. Now I know that this Denon is a surround sound AV receiver rather than a stereo amplifier but will it do the job sufficiently anyway by putting the Denon in a music mode rather than surround sound mode.

I did speak to one person who knows a bit about these things and he said that 'it would do the job, its a cost effective (i.e cheap) way of doing it although it's not the best way to do it" ..... but im looking for a second opinion ... what do you guys think ?

He went on to say a pair of Rotels amplifiers would be then better way of setting this up but this is going to be twice the price of the Denon (600 pound for a pair of Rotels as opposed to the Denon at about 300 pounds).

Its not big pub... it doesn't need loud music... it doesnt need to be hi end sound quality ... it just needs to produce reasonable background music at a reasonable cost. Furthermore the Denon gives him options to put the Pub Sky TV sound through it if he so wishes.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks in advance
    Lee

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Personally I would look at a proper PA system as this will be more robust. Even a small pub is going to be larger than your average lounge so I worry that the 1912 is not going to have enough power to fill the area with sound (especially since a pub is a loud place anyway with talking etc. Also AV receivers are designed for home use and not long times at highish volumes in a commercial environment. I would get something that is designed to be used in the environment you have.
    What impedance are the speakers? Are you able to contact the previous owner to ask what they used?