Help please! Narrowed it down to 4 TVs

Blackbird4000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for reading - and if you have any advice - really really appreciate it.

So I'm looking a 55" tv to replace current 42" TV - its getting moved to another room.

So I've narrowed it down to these four - any tips on what the best one is? Will be used for Netflix premium, Amazon Prime and some PlayStation Gaming - but this is low priority. The kids really like the idea of google assistant so they can 'talk' to the TV. I really like good sound when watching films. Tv V will be wall mounted, and the sofa is about 3m away.

I don't have a soundbar etc. I have a google chrome for casting from the phone. We don't watch terrestrial TV (BBC etc), we don't have sky or similar.

I'm a set and forget person. we watch the tv fairly head on - no angles. we only watch TV at night, so its going to be dark/darkish.

My pet hates are sound issues. Current LG TV is really loud when music is being played during films, and then quiet when talking. So I sit with the remote in my hand to turn volume up and down accordingly. My kitchen TV, 32" LG has terrible blur, and shadow on it.

55" PANASONIC TX-55HX580B 4K HDR SMART LED TV £349​

55" PANASONIC TX-55GX555B 4K ULTRA HD HDR SMART LED TV £369​

55" SONY KD-55XF8796BU 4K ULTRA HD ANDROID SMART HDR LED TV £379​

55" SONY KD-55XD8599BU 4K HDR ANDROID SMART LED TV £429​

Last edited:
all bottom end TVs but I would pick the Sony one as its the best make

all bottom end TVs but I would pick the Sony one as its the best make
I second this - but really if you can £150 odd extra, you can move upto some of the newer Sony's (e.g. KD55X85JU) which will be much better and longer supported. The picture processor is far better and if you don't have a separate sound bar/system and are relying on the TV sound, then that will be better too. A quick google, and I found this for £550:

Also, I know you mentioned that you don't want sound issues - but highly recommended is to pick up a sound bar, even if it's a basic entry level £150 one. It will change your entire viewing experience.

would defo recommend spending a bit more and getting a much better Tv.

Check out this guide:

The challenge is my budget is £350 - so its even a stretch going to £429. I would definitely not be able to afford a £550 tv, plus a £150 soundbar - thanks for the advice guys.

Sony Xf8796. I've got the 49 inch. Awesome picture for a mid ranger, if you're not worried about HDR. Horrible processor, every button click takes a lifetime to action.

The processing of the picture is good enough I'd only upgrade to another Sony, but as the above say the new processors will make a huge difference. If you can't go the extra, the XF8796 will still give a very natural, smooth flowing picture. Sound.. Meh. But they all are in TVs below £800 or so.

Since you're operating with a limited budget I'd look at last years Hisense U7Q and nothing less. Especially when you mention your usage which will involve a lot of HDR material and will be more troublesome on cheaper TVs.

That's not to say the U7Q will be perfect either, but it's at least half-way-there to a decent HDR TV and its cost is low given its a 2020 model.

I'd really avoid buying anything less, its just not worth spending £350 on a TV unless you absolutely have too.

For your pet-hate, buy a soundbar with clear dialogue and volume levelling. Some TVs have volume levelling too, which may help. TV speakers are generally very bad though, so unless you are shopping for a much higher TV then budgeting for TV+soundbar is a good idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom