help please - my htpc has just died !!

newstuart

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Help please

Yesterday my pc was working fine, turned it off as normal last night, come along today turn it on and nothing!!

No bios screen - no image at all nothing.
The fans and hardrive spin up when started as does the power led so obviously has power but nothing else happening

so far I have swapped the ram from another pc and taken the motherboard battery out for a while, any other suggestions please ??:lease:

remove all hard disk, cd, dvd and all un-neccersary cards. See if that helps. Put them back in one at a time and see when t stops if your lucky!

Re-seat the CPU

Listen for error beep codes, see motherboard for more details. One beep is normal and multiple beeps usually indicates a certain error.

unfortunately, after re-seating everything its just a matter of eliminating each component, but by the sounds of it i'd guess at cpu or more likely motherboard.

Usually if nothing happens then it's hte motherboard, maybe a component on it is damaged or burned eg. capacitor or there is a broken trace, an insect got into the case which usually causes burn marks on the motherboard, you can pick up a new mobo for £40-80, cheaper than getting a new CPU, i'd advice gettign a better board than you have got at the moment, then at least it is money well spent..., laos check all the cables in your case..., make sure ATX Power cable is connected properly, if oyu have another PC you could swap the PSU around...but as they other guys said, eliminate each component at a time, if you have on board graphics then pull out the graphics card you currently have..., on my previous computer I built, I overloaded the PSU, and found that PSU fan was dead, the graphics card fan was dead, well the fans were working but let off a strange smell, also found the the Southbridge chipset on the motherboard was burned out, all of this just cause my PSU/motherboard fan header could not handle powering an extra 6CM fan...if you decide to replace the motheboard, make sure you power you PC on with the case opened, so you can see if everything is working properly and also if there are any strange smells..what PSU are yo using, you need to make sure it has enough juice to power your whole system...

If it's a newer board, try holding down the insert key while powering up. If it does start, then re-configure your bios to preffered settings.

D.

Ive just tried the insert key as suggested plus swapped out the PSU and graphics , still nothing, no noise (other than fans and hardrive (no beeps )).

Guess it must be cpu or mother board - annoying as more expense !

Any other suggestions most welcomed - if it helps the mother board is a Asrock K7VTA4. I have read I should re-set the bios but do not understand how i would do this, any ideas ??

newstuart said:
Ive just tried the insert key as suggested plus swapped out the PSU and graphics , still nothing, no noise (other than fans and hardrive (no beeps )).

Guess it must be cpu or mother board - annoying as more expense !

Any other suggestions most welcomed - if it helps the mother board is a Asrock K7VTA4. I have read I should re-set the bios but do not understand how i would do this, any ideas ??

there is a jumper on your motherboard that will clear and reset your bios.
look in your manual to find it. worth a try.

take off the plastic thing (that looks like this)
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/jumper.gif
and put it across the two pins (as in the manual) for a few seconds

then put it back where you found it

ie , if its on pins 1 and 2 take it off and put it on pins 2 and 3 , wait, then put it back

hope this makes sense

check the main power connectors from the PSU they may have come loose especially if the board is vertical in the case.

Mr.D said:
check the main power connectors from the PSU they may have come loose especially if the board is vertical in the case.

he already has tried a different PSU

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom