Help (please!) Micro HDMI to Standard HDMI cable

SCham

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm buying a new TV in a few days, a Sony XH90 or XH95, and I have a big issue with my cables that run through the wall.

The previous owners built an extension about 12 years ago and had 2 scart leads and 1 HDMI cable running through the wall. However, the HDMI is massively out of date as it doesn't show any content above 1080p.

The conduit running through the wall is tiny though. Seriously, I felt like taking a sledgehammer to the wall this afternoon whilst trying to run a new standard HDMI to HDMI cable through it today, it impossible. The end of the HDMI simply will not fit through the conduit.

I do think with some persuasion a micro HDMI end will fit through, then I could put an adapter on the micro HDMI to turn it into a standard connection?

My question is - will the output be effected by doing it this way?

I'll be gutted if I buy a new TV and the picture quality suffers because of this.

Also, if anyone knows of a 4m micro HDMI to standard HDMI + an adapter to turn the micro HDMI into standard HDMI - with the quality not suffering - then I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks all!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How long is the In-wall cable?

A 4K UHD, HDR, HDCP2.2 capable HDMI over CAT extender may be a better option - assuming the sledgehammer is not a possibility?

Joe

SCham

Standard Member
In the wall I could run 3m. The ends would come out of the wall but not up to the TV...

Believe me, I would happily take a sledgehammer to it but the other half would be less than impressed.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in the area, but I'm not sure what a CAT extender is..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A 3m HDMI to micro HDMI cable may be a possibility - you would want to test it fully before you assume it will work.

If you can pull a solid core, non-CCS/CCA, CAT6 cable you can then add an HDMI over CAT Extender to deliver the 4K signal to the TV - you have to be clear though if you want to support features such as HDR and DV which HDMI can support.

Ultimately your best option is the sledge hammer plus oversized conduit and give yourself future proofing.

Joe

SCham

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice Joe, I appreciate it.

I fear you may be right with the sledgehammer. Why someone would install such thin conduit is beyond me.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
All too common an issue which installers come up against - thankfully it sounds not too bad if you ‘only’ have to deal with a 3m run, though still pretty disruptive to the decor.

Joe

Otto Pylot

As @Joe Fernand suggested, for long term "proofing", installing a conduit (1.5"-2.0") is ultimately the best way to go, and the ONLY way to future proof. If you do this don't forget to add a pull string for future pulls if necessary. If you have it in place, you'll never need it. If you don't, you'll probably need it. Murphy's Law for HDTV runs ;). Do keep in mind that any time you add any sort of wall plate, extender, adapter, etc you run the chance of signal issues because you've added a "break" in the HDMI chain which sometimes can cause issues with the higher bandwidth requirements. A single cable, source to sink is your best bet. Whatever you do, lay the cabling out on the floor first and thoroughly test it before final installation, including using the adapters or whatever if you go that route.

SCham

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

I’m just going to knock through and put some decent sized conduit there. Fortunately my best mate is a plasterer so that won’t add any cost!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom