1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please - Marantz Sr4200 & Philips Q40

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tobe, Nov 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. tobe

tobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm pretty new to the world of Home Cinema, so this problem maybe me being stupid, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I recently purchased a Marantz SR4200 AV Amplifier and have been having problems setting the unit up with my DVD player, I was wondering if there is a problem or in fact I am doing something incorrectly. I have a Philips Q40 DVD player, connected to the SR4200 using the multichannel connections, these connections are correct. I have set up the DVD player accordingly for this connection, using the on screen menu system. The problem is as follows - If I load up a dvd, the only time I can get a sound from the amp is when it is in 'Test' mode or it is set to 'Analogue', and the sound is set to a certain level in both these settings, i.e. I cannot turn up the sound. I would greatly appreciate any help as I am at a loss as to how to rectify the problem.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi

The multichannel analogue connections are only needed if you want to use the dvd players onboard decoders. You would then set the amp to its external decoder input. All settings to delay times etc would be controlled by the dvd player and adjusted in its setup menus (provided it has these options).

To use the amps decoders etc all you need is either an optical or digital coaxial lead from the dvd player to the amplifier. You´ll then have no problems. This is a much simpler way to go about things and means you´ll be using the amp as the central decoding point, its delay times, channel levels etc

Cheers

3. tobe

tobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I'll give it a go later! I thought my lack of knowledge might be the problem.

Just to clarify, hey I'm a beginner, I just need to connect it using either an optical or digital coaxial lead, rather than the multichannel connections?!

Thanx

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    We all have to start somewhere.:) Just use either of the digital connections and you´ll be away.