1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please JVC GR-DX95

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by R0bB, Sep 3, 2003.

1. R0bB

R0bB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a camcorder and am looking at the JVC GR-DX95.

Does anybody have one - what are it's good / bad points.

Does anybody have any alternatives and reasons why they are better?

I need to get one quickly so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    have the JVC 100 which is the same as the 95 but with a few more functions and a 1.3 mp sensor

Things to consider are that record, stop, and zoom etc are mostly done with your thumb on the rear of the unit and not with your fingers on the top - you can easily pause or zoom the wrong way.

Menus are a bit fiddly to get to whist trying to film - lots of shaking while you look for what you want.

I would have prefered some common functions such as fade and other adjustments/modes to be accessable by a simple button, and not a search through the menu.

In auto mode I notice that the exposure can be upset by too much sky or light - leading to a dark picture. But just use manual.

As a carry anywhere point and shoot cam though, its great.

3. R0bB

R0bB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info....with hinsight, would you go for this cam again, or an alternative sony one in the same price range?

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, the Sonys and similar Panasonics felt better in my hand, and buttons seemed a bit more naturally placed.

I also liked the Sony touch screen concept.

However, the smaller/thinner size of the JVC was more critical for me as I wanted a camera that I could pocket and take almost anywhere. I knew the slightly bigger size of the others would mean I would not take the camera with me as much as I would like to.

I only use mine for general family stuff so I basically just use it as a point and shoot. The quality for outdoors filming is excellent, and indoors is also as good as I would have expected.

The snaps taken with the digital card function are rubbish, so bearing in mind the 25 model is considerably cheaper, I am not sure if the few extra features of the 95 model are worth it though.

I am not sure if I will ever use all the features, although I want to get into editing when I have the time.

So, if it was not for the bigger 1.3 mb chip and the fact that I got the cam for about the price of the 95 model, then I think I would have gone for the 25 model instead, and spent the rest on accessories.

woody