1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please...interference on my HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kam the Man, May 24, 2004.

1. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay guys, totally new at this so here goes.

One 2.8 P4 PC
    ATI 9700pro 128mb card using DVI out to Sanyo Z2 Proj
    Lindy 7.5M DVI cable.

aside from the messing around with ratios etc. which I'll get the hang of eventually (I hope) I have a serious issue with DVD playback.

I get terrible 'snow' or 'fleck's whatever you call them all over the DVD window, especially on whites and blacks. On the PC screens everything is perfect. It pretty much makes it unwatchable although I do prefer the quality.

I don't think it can be the cable as there would be interference on the PC screen? Therefore I am at a loss as to why there is this on the DVD output. Any ideas?

Another question is this, should the Z2 be registering only as 1024x768 on my GC settings? I thought it should be 1280x768? Or is that something to do with scaling? Noobie Alert :blush:

So over to the experts... :lease:

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Are you saying if you watch a DVD from the PC on the VGA input of the graphics card its perfect but on the DVI input to your PJ you're getting interference,then the problem is sparklies due to the quality of the DVI cable,I had problems with 'sparklies' on my PJ a Panny Ae500 with a Lindy 10m.I'm sure ther has been extensive posts on the Z2 and the Lindy DVI cable,might want to search on the PJ forum.
    Rob

3. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob, thx for your reply.

The DVI output to my PJ displaying normal desktop stuff and games is absolutely fine, the VGA output is still going to my monitor and I swap between them. However play a dvd and JUST in that window (on the desktop)there are your 'sparklies', especially in the black bars and white bits.

Bizarre huh!?

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Can't really help with the sparklies, although I agree that it seems unlikely to be the dvi cable given the desktop is ok. Is it just dvd's, or all media files ? Have you tried different playback software ?

w.r.t the Z2 and native res .... you'll need to download powerstrip and 'enable' 1280x720 before it's available to you. Good thing is you only need to do this once - after that you can forget about powerstrip, 1280x720 wil be available as a selectable resolution in the control panel thereafter. Have pasted my settings below (Z2, dvi, 9600non-pro), but I think you just pick the standard 720p resolution from powerstrip and use that.

Cheers, Carl.

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1280x720=1280,72,40,256,720,5,5,20,74160,2310

Generic timing details for 1280x720:
    HFP=72 HSW=40 HBP=256 kHz=45 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=20 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1280x720" 74.160 1280 1352 1392 1648 720 725 730 750 -hsync -vsync

5. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, cwick, thats great. i'll search around for powerstrip now.

As for the sparklies I'll need to get rid of those before worrying about anything else. I might try to 'borrow' a shorter cable and see if it's any better.

They are showing on all media files, my mate bought a cd round with some demos and they gave same result with mediaplayer. I use intervideo windvd4 for DVD's but might try this other piece of software mention is another thread theatretek? suppose to be good, lets hope it solves the problem, however I am doubtful.

The reason I'm doing all this is I've just got a skystar2 card coming as I want to watch the Euro finals is high def. I damn hope I don't get sparkies then!

Cheers, Kam.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Well, at the risk of speculating wildly, I guess it might be that the bandwidth required for video is too much for the cable. But I might be talking out of my backside ... for what it's worth I'm using a cheap-as-chips 5m jobbie with mine.

I'd give theatertek a miss for now if I was you - seriously doubt it'll cure the sparklies, and there isn't a try-before-you-buy option with it.