help please install new sky box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pa 28 driver, Jun 12, 2005.

1. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just installing new sky box in kitchen, with FTA channels only. Have sky plus and multi room upstairs. Have run a cable from lnb so that is four in total, ie 2 for plus one for multi room plus new one. Come power up new box is ok but can't get it to tune into tv, ie program is there ok but is well out of tune, audio ok but pic is, well not sure how to put it but flickering is non readable. Thought it might be channel for tv on sky box but can't change that as you can't read it:). One point is I have run correct cable from dish to lounge then joined up with exixting co-ax going into kitchen, can't see this being a problem but any help greatly appreciated. Have used scart join tv to box thats all, which is what i have upstairs, any clues please get me back in good books, many thanks.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    swap the box with the one upstairs to check the box is OK, it may be the existing coax isnt up to the job (have you got an aerial feed down same coax?)
    Also is box near your fridge?

3. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for quick reply, have already swapped boxes same reult and box does work upstairs, box is about 3feet away from fridge so you think that could be problem. I have co-ax running from lounge to kitchen and joining up with cable from dish, i expected some loss in quality with co-ax but thought it would be up to it, thanks.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well try turning the fridge off for a minute or two to see if that is causing any issues (Big AC motors and sensitive kit like sky boxes are a bad mix) if that does not solve it looks like some new Coax mate make sure you use CT100 or eqivalent (also how have you jointed the cable F plugs and coupler? or RF plug and socket?

5. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a new cable run is in order, will get some and try that, take it it is ok join digi cable with the connectors they provide? The co-ax joins were via couplers so maybe that might be the problem, thanks for all your help, fingers crosse dshe does some lunch for me but not banking on it :( , cheers.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you need to USE "F" connections mate can get em from Maplins try proper F connections first

7. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon, thanks for all your help, thrown new cable all round now and it's perfect although that was not the fault, as found faulty scart lead but much better that i went to trouble of new cable run i think. Once again many thanks and should be ok for some tea if not lunch now :smashin:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lol sorry i assumed you would have checked the scart as first port of call.........
    Without seeing these things it is hard to fault find them