Help please in choosing new TV

J

Jay2006

Right folks, this looks like the ideal place for some advice and help.

I’ve been on the site a few times from doing Google searches on various things and I must say this site is top notch for the wealth of information and the abundance of knowlegible people.

So here’s hoping some of you will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

After owning a Philips 28in CTR for the last 7 years I’d decided to catch up with the times and purchase a LCD TV. Stupidly I didn’t do my home work and I purchased a package deal from Argos SEE HERE

Now I’ve had the item for just over a week and have arranged with Argos to return it as I feel for £1100 I can do better. I was impressed (after a few days) with the Sony KDL32U2000 quality, but I wasn’t impressed with the cheapness of the stand supplied and the DVD HDD recorder is a nightmare. I ended up with so many cables at the back of my TV is looked ridiculous.

So I have decided to return it, replace the DVD HDD recorder with Sky+, and keep my existing Sony DVD player as it plays the avi files I download direct from the DVD with needing to convert.

The dilemma now is what TV to get. From looking about I am currently torn between Sony KDL40U2000U and the Panasonic TH42PX60.

I realise one is an ordinary LCD TV, whilst the panny is Plasma, but I’m not very clued up on this and I’m not overly sure how they differ.

I must admit that from reading the reviews of others on here I am very much swaying towards the panny as it looks great and the picture quality is highly rated.

What I would like is advice from people as to which one is better value for money, pro’s and con’s of each and whether they have seen any really good deals on them. I was able to find a good deal on the panny (about £1100 with the stand) on here earlier, I would show the link but I can’t remember it off the top of my head.

Finally, the last dilemma, if I decide on say the panny for example, should I purchase it before Xmas so that I get the 5 year warranty or should I hang fire until after Xmas when all the sales start and maybe get it even cheaper.

Apologies for the long winded and big ask, but any and all advice / help will be greatly appreciated.

choddo2006

Novice Member
Personally I think the Panny will do a far better job with SD sources like Sky+

That Sony has always looked absolute rubbish to my eyes when viewed in Sony Centres.

I'd go for the 5year warranty personally.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom