Help please I'm pulling my hair out

thefinch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just over a week ago I switched over to talk talk adsl broadband long story short had no end of problems tv wouldn't pick up channels on youview box traced this to dodgy ariel cable

Anyway problem I'm having now is my broadband my speed dropped dramatically from 12mbps on sky to about 8 rang Talktalk and well didn't really get anywhere went on to their forum and one of thier guys has done something on my line and according to Talktalk website I'm getting 13.5mbps which is great when I use the speed test app on my phone I get little bit lower 11-12mbps wireless which again no major issue then as soon as I turn anything on such as tv etc the speed on the app drops dramatically to between 2 and 4...

My current setup is

Talktalk dlink router wireless switched off

Apple AirPort Extreme time capsule and airport express repeaters

Netgear 8 port gigabit Ethernet switch

Devices plugged in are

Sky 2tb hd box
Samsung blu Ray
Samsung 50" plasma TV
Android xbmc streaming box

All devices run through onkyo av revived

Apple TV over wifi

Hp wireless printer

Now I've noticed some stuff on an app called fing duplicating IP address

So far I've tried disconnect the switch so only the router and airport plugged in, with nothing switched on speed is fine if I turn say tv on the speed drops even with nothing connected so I'm a bit puzzled could it be an issue with tv or hdmi maybe? Only seems to be since changed isp

Sorry for the long post hoping someone can help

Nothing obviously wrong leaps out at me. If you had duplicate IP address issues it would tend to manifest itself as devices with no connection at all, or dropping off the network randomly rather than effects on Internet speeds.

Nothing downstream of your router should effect the speed of the Internet link. In the kind of networks we use at home, each link negotiates it's speeds independently of all the others.

If you are loosing speed, particularly if you are assessing it using an online speed tester, then it generally indicates "something" is using the bandwidth.

I suppose it's possible the YouView package is culpable if the ISP has implemeted some kind of system that "reserves" an amount of bandwidth in order to guarantee TV delivery without the dreaded "buffering." Your ISP and YouView provider should be able to advise whether they do this.

If possible, it would be better to assess the link speeds from stats. in your router rather than an online speed tester. However, not all routers avail this.

To diagnose what's hogging the bandwidth you could try unplugging everything, then turn things on one by one and use a process of elimination. Sometimes in resolving IT issues, there's nothing for it but to slog through methodically.

Thanks for your reply ive been playing about all day and I've basically gone back to basic just plugged Talktalk router in to phone socket turned off wifi and had my laptop plugged in to router via Ethernet everything off all work fine, I turn my TV on Samsung 50" plasma it drops the speed dramatically so I'm guessing some kind of interference someone suggested a extension lead that has a mains and rf filter built in?

If you've still got it then you could try using the sky provided router instead of the talktalk one.

Ive still got my sky hub but it looks like sky have this locked as can't find section anywhere to change the details but a friend of mine thinks he's got a spare netgear so give that a bash

Well I've resolved this now basically change the router says something when D-Link who supposedly manufacture the router basically deny all knowledge of it don't support... Got hold of a draytek commercial router works a treat

If you are turning the TV on and it's streaming media or doing any kind of updates from the t'interweb, that will affect the results from an on-line speed test.

Your ADSL connection, router(/gateway) and home network are three separate problems. It's important to work out which is causing the slow down.

The connection was dropping when the tv was literally just plugged into mains and switched on not viewing or streaming anything... Tried an lcd TV no problem changed the router from the one Talktalk supplied to a draytek commercial router I acquired and also changed the master phone socket to an adsl filtered faceplate thanks to a friendly bt engineer everything now working fine just shy of 15 MB download speed I was quoted between 9.1 and 19 on my line so happy at what I'm getting

Just seems a bit drastic changing the router. It sounds like the TV was generating interference.

I saw that the problem was solved, so I was speaking in retrospect really. It's important to really try and isolate what is causing a problem.

I tried all sorts and yes I agree I think it probably was the tv throwing out interference although no issues with previous isp but just glad it's sorted at minimal cost

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom