1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please! i'm just about to buy a Panasonic th42pe50!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RHCP, Sep 3, 2005.

1. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just about to buy a Panasonic th42pe50!

I've read through loads on av forum!

Seems like a good model as i'm not going for hi-def yet!

Any reason not to buy this model?

Any input would be greatly appreciated before i take the plunge and buy it!

Cheers

2. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm happy with mine, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Must admit, if I had known of the PV500 that was "around the corner" at the time I bought mine, I probably would have waited but I have no regrets in getting the PE50.

If you definately don't want the HD model then go for it! :)

3. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hmmmmm!

Its either £1400 with a dvd recorder or over £2000 for the pv500, i just can't justify that amount to myself!

Just want a nice big good quality telly and the th42pe50 seems to be the best that i can see for the price!

4. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You can't really review a companies non HD-Ready screen and slag it off for not being HD-Ready.

And out of the box the colours are really false looking and the blacks are crushed to ****!
    Once set up it as a great screen though, I would take Cnet's review with a pinch of salt, they didn't even say if they took it out of Dnamic mode.

6. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I wouldn't agree with their comments concerning the picture quality, I think it's very good. Yes, it looks better with DVDs compared to TV broadcasts but then most plasmas are like this I would imagine. Unfortunately, my TV reception is not that brilliant where I live (no Freeview either!) so it can look a bit unimpressive at times but this is due to the reception and not the TV I feel.

The lack of various inputs is true, all depends what you want to connect to it. It's fine for my purposes but if you do have several pieces of kit that need to be connected, then yes, the PV500 maybe more appropriate.

7. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am an owner of the similar model, the TH-37PA50E, and I have to admit that the above review is the most biased one I have ever read about a product that most people admit it has a fantastic picture quality.

The review spends most of it extensive length arguing about the lack of inputs, and spends almost no time at all giving credit to the exceptional picture quality of this set, far above any of the competition.

To be honest, this is a budget plasma screen, can be bought for around GBP 1,100 including pedestral (the TH-37-PA50E model with no digital tuner, add another 250 pounds for the TH-42PA50E model). Yes it has a low resolution, but nothing to be "disgusted" about it as the article says since most other sets in the market also have a similar resolution. Only the very expensive models, which most of them are HD ready, have a higher resolution.

However due to the built-in scaler this set is HD compatible, which means that if connected to an HD source through the composite input it can correctly downscale the signal to properly display it on the screen. This is an added bonus that no other budget screen offers, you need to buy an external scaler to do this job - a rather costly proposition.

As far as the non existence of enough inputs I think that this is not really an issue. Most people that buy plasmas also buy a complete AV home-cinema set, meaning that a suitable receiver with a myriad of input-outputs should be present in most cases. This solves the problem of not having a large number of inputs on the TV set itself.

Finally, in my personal opinion this set has the best picture quality in the competition, even if is not HD ready. For its price its a steal - and given the exceptional response the new Viera sets have gotten from the public, I am starting to wonder if the competition is "bribing" some magazines to publish stinky reviews!

8. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is there really no connection for a P.C.?

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606

Every plasma has a scaler, some won't accept some resolutions though. And I am not sure the PE/A50 will accept 720p/50 even on component.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    No.

11. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :eek: wow! where can i buy it for this price?

12. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can, it can even downscale HD format (1020 or whatever).

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,105
    From that review:

"Sure, the TH42PE50's picture quality is very nice."

"the Freeview adaptor is very welcome,"

"This Panasonic plasma is a real looker"

"With digital TV boxes, games consoles and DVD players all fighting it out for space in the cabinet, a TV needs at least three Scart connectors to cope. The TH42PE50 happily meets the criteria, with AV1 and AV3 being RGB-enabled, and AV2 and AV3 capable of input and output."

"Picture fanatics will be glad to see Panasonic has endowed its plasma with component inputs, which can provide the television with silky smooth progressive-scan images."

"We also thought that audio performance was pretty good. These speakers can go fairly loud but their main attraction is how detailed they are. There's a real clarity to vocals and they can even pick out environmental effects in a show as mundane as EastEnders."

Sounds like a cracking machine so long as you don't need a VGA/DVI input.

14. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RHCP, just to let you know.. up until last Thursday (before I popped into Currys :) ), I had more or less decided that I was going to buy the Pansonic 42PE50.. and that's after several months of taking look around at a variety of plasmas, of all price ranges..

I think that I should point out though that I had chosen the PE50 for several reasons, despite not being particularly impressed by its picture quality (lack of depth, the picture just looked 'flat' rather than 3d, also the colours weren't very vibrant, brightness was disappointing - simply put, it looked dull) with Freeview..

But despite these flaws, I was still keen on going for the PE50 for two main reasons:

i) Screen burn resistance - from what I have read and learnt , the Panasonic PE50 is one of the most screen burn resistance plasma tvs out there.. i've read accounts of ppl who have left their DVD menus on the PE50 and fell asleep - but fortunately, managing to get away with no sign of screenburn... and being someone who was/is seriously concerned about getting screen burn with a brand new plasma tv, this reason alone had me thinking about a Panny.. despite not being overly impressed by its pic quality

ii) Smooth and fluid handling of motion - the Panasonic plasmas are in a class of their own when it comes to handling fast movement/panning... I've had demos of several plasmas tested out with my own DVD recording of Chelsea v Aresenal football match from last season - and I must say without any doubt, that the Panasonic PE50 handled the motion very smoothly, without any motion artifacts... the footy really was as smooth as a high quality 50hz CRT.

As someone who wants a plasma primarily for watching sports - football and cricket - this is one thing I couldn't compromise on.. and the motion blur I noticed on some other plasmas I saw with the same football dvd, was just unbearable.. no way in the world that I would have bought something like a Samsung (SD) panel (priced at around £1400 or so) - cant remember the model - which I saw at Comet, the motion blur it displayed with my DVD was so awful, I dont think I would have bought that if it was on sale for £200!

However, after seeing the Hitachi 6600 and watching some cricket on it - I decided to go for it simply because it handled motion almost as good as the PE50 (not quite as flawlessly as the Panny, but still pretty well ) and also , the picture quality of the Hitachi looked mighty impressive! the colours were vibrant and life-like (rather than 'fake' and dull as I felt, was the case on the PE50) and also had depth (3d like picture quality)... I was so impressed at the pic quality, that I bought the 6600 on the spot - yes the price at £1499 was tempting , with it being HD ready as well.. -- but I must say that if the pic quality on the PE50 was as good as the Hitachi 6600 , with the same colour depth and vibrance, I would have been prepared to have paid an extra £500 for the Panny.. HD ready or not, at least you have that peace of mind with it when it comes to the issue of screen burn..

In the end though, i'm sure i've made the right decision going for the Hitachi 6600 and while I've had to delay my delivery for a month, I'm hopeful that it will prove more than satisfactory.

As far as the Panasonic PE50, if picture quality with Freeview/Sky is your most important factor than I would say that I've seen some better plasmas out there, let your eyes be the judge.. with regards to screen burn resistance and motion handling, I've no hesitation in saying that the Pe50 is a class act.. just a pity it doesn't deliver as exceptionally where it matters.. the picture looked a little bit processed and dull'ish, colours almost a little artificial for my liking.

Basically, I would say I chose the PE50 initially out of desperation - becuase I really wanted a big screen tele, I wanted the kids to be able to watch what they like and not have to worry abt screen burn, and lastly I wanted to watch football without motion blur.. :) the 42PE50 seemed a good bet because it satisfied these needs, even though I felt this came at the expense of picture quality..

But in the end , after seeing the brilliance of the Hitachi 6600 with superb pic quality , I was just too impressed with it , not to consider it .. even if it means taking the 'risk' with possible screen burn.

15. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just bought the 37PE50 and i am pretty pleased with it, sky on RGB is good,
    DVD,s are really great, but i saw a HD TV in curry's and it looked stunning. but the price of a HD TV and the cost of the sky box makes it nearly double the cost of my pe50.

16. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hello Majid

I was one of the unfortunates would got TREATED REALLY BADLY by the currys 6600 internet scam.

I aws thinking of the h 7200 with the currys discount for £1700. But none available now!

I'm a bit mixed up with what to do now!

The panny was in a good price bracket with a dvd recorder (and maybe do hi-def through component).

maybe i'm clutching at straws now!

17. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    RHCP - masked swearing is not allowed on this forum, can you please edit your post. Thanks

18. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RHCP I would definitely take a look at the 42PE50 and not rule it out - you might well like the picture quality on it, I wouldn't want to put you off from buying it .. because it seems alot ppl do actually like the picture on the Panasonics , but personally I wanted a screen with vibrant and life-like colours and CRT-like picture quality.. not that the Hitachis are perfect, but they are pretty close to what I was after at a reasonable price and packed with features (including PC connectivity).. I have recently taken a look at the Hitachi 5200 and while its not as good as the 6600, I must say i liked the near-CRT like picture quality of it more than the Panasonic 42PE50.. and its also cheaper.. so I would take a look at that as well.

As far as the plasma with the best PQ that I came across, well without any doubt in my mind it was the Sony 42MRX1 - awesome picture, almost flawless, but it was priced at close to £3000... and it wasn't HD-Ready either.. so that put me off.. but otherwise for picture quality alone and aesthetics, it was gorgeous.

19. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Really, can you buy the hitachi 5200 for £1400?

The 5200h is hi-def, so i might consider that.

I just feel robbed that i was getting the 6600 for £1323, now I'm looking at screens that aren't as good, aren't hi-def and cost more!

No wonder i'm confused :confused:

20. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this great set. The price difference between the PE50 and PV500 was about £500 but everyones been suckered in by HD and its more like £900 now. I'd rather save that and get something better in three years when HD is worth it.

21. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RHCP, I agree Currys are taking the biscuit here.. what I would do if I were you, is to get in touch with Currys by phone and insist on speaking to no one else but the manager/supervisor.. make your displeasure very clear to them about the whole episode, let them know that you have written to Watchdog, Trading Standards and make it very clear that you will be seeking legal advice from your solicitor, and tht you will take this further.. unless they agree to offer you the 6600 or a suitable alternative (7200) at the offered price.. also, let them know that you are aware of others who placed the order for the 6600 later than you, but they have had confirmations.. while your order has been rejected.. so its clearly not on 'first come first serve' basis either.

No guarantees that it will work, but if you make it very clear to them that you feel you have been treated unairly and are going to be taking this matter further and look at legal options, who knows..they might just come back with an olive branch :).. worth a try.

22. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks man!

I will!

Its unbelieveable the way these companies think they can treat their customers!

I'll get back on the phone tomorrow and give them hell! :devil:

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Yeah, you are right, it can handle all the formats over component, it was after some one said on here the other day that 720p/50 was a problem I presumed they had tried it and it didn't work.

24. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I just want to add some balance re standard definition screens, and potential buying decisions people are making.

The two questions I would ask yourself (honestly) are:
    1) Am I being caught up in the hi-def hype?
    2) Am I letting my heart rule my head?

We seem to be in a situation where we have to decide between very well developed SD panels, and early life HD panels. While I have been 'doing the rounds' getting demo's, the quality of the latest SD panels has really shone out for me. In particular, the lack of 'tizz' and dot crawl on the 8th generation Panny plasma's (37PE50 and 42PE50), excellent motion handling, and rich and deep colours. I was particularly surprised at Majids comments in this respect, as I have never seen anyone else describe these panels as flat looking, quite the opposite.

In fact, What Plasma were so impressed with the 37PE50 this month, it put it straight into its Top 5 plasma's, even accepting that its not HD. Which leads us onto the CNET review....what a waste. I can only compare this to What Car running a group test on family saloons, choosing a Mondeo, Vectra and Mini, and then slating the mini for its lack of doors and boot space!

So what about the HD screens? I liked the PV500 a lot, but there clearly are teething problems with some sets, its expensive, and that large surround is a matter of taste. I also went to Curry's (twice) to view the 6600. If you can get anything other than a hi-def demo (which are always bright and designed to make ANY HD screen shine), some of the faults begin to show. My main bugbear is contrast, and this set did have terrible contrast IMO. There was also a little too much picture noise for my personal liking.

So what about the people who are not sure whether they are going to immediately jump into the HD format? Lets take a 42PV500 vs 42PE50 as an example. Current best prices are about £800 apart.

Why not go with your head, which has been pointing you towards the PE50? You can keep this set for 12 months, when hopefully HD will be in full swing, and us the consumer knows a little more about pricing, and quality of the various formats. I'm pretty sure you could sell the PE50 for £600-£700 in 12 months without a problem. Add that to the £800 you have saved today, and that gives you another £1500 to play with in 12 months.

And thats the point. For no potential extra outlay, you get a top quality SD screen for 12 months, and then a next generation HD screen in 12 months, for potentially no extra cash than you were spending today. And I don't think anyone would disagree that that the HD panels will be further developed in the next 12 months.

On the basis that there is currently NO mass market HD material on release, is your heart ruling your head in your purchase, for those people that aren't convinced they will jump into Sky HD on the day of release?

Just a thought :)

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Exactly what I have been saying since the end of last year, excellent post Urban.

I got caught up with the HD thing, I had a Panny PW6 and had to have an HD screen, so I sold the PW6 for peanuts and bought a Pioneer 435XDE, well waht a big mistake that was, imho one of the most important things to have on a screen is the ability to do blacks, without that ability parts of the picture seem to disapear in a grey fog, it is very strange and very obvious. The other thing is the ability to show 50Hz smoothly, without this ability the set will look very digital. Having had only owned a panasonic screen I presumed they would all play Pal material smoothly, how wrong! The Pioneer was not too bad, but no where near as good as the Panasonic, so after a week or so I got rid of it.

Next screen was the NEC 42XM3, it was getting rave reviews both on here and in the states, this was the screen to knock the Panasonic off the top of the block! OH DEAR!
    Black levels were even worse, image retention which I had never seen with the Panasonic was ridiculous and the judder from conveerting everything to 60Hz was awful, you justcould not watch sport on it at all. So 2 weeks later and £800 lighter in pocket it went.

What did I end up with again? Another Panasonic SD PW6, it abssolutely beat the HD screens hands down, and not just with Sky and DVD, also with proper HD using D-Theater, the Pioneer and the NEC both looked a little sharper, but the crap black level just didn't let Hi-Def strut its stuff. I had the PW6 here at the same time as the Pioneer and put it like this, when playing a bright scene we were all looking at it saying "yeah I think you can tell the Pioneer is higher res" on some scenes the background details were a little sharper foreground stuff about the same, but as soon as it got to a scene with blacks, not a dark scene just a scene with blacks it looks like a misty fog comes in front of the image and hides part of it. With a dark film it was laughable, well everyone else was laughing but I had just paid £3k for it so I was finding it a little harder to see the funny side!

We did the same tests with the NEC, again using HD material, D-Theater going into a Zektor component switcher and I won't even bother to post the results of that.

So, even on HD material the SD screen looked better, this was not just me who said this, I had a couple of mates who are not into this stuff and someone else here who is very into it, in fact that is his job, I won't say who as he might not want me to.

The problem with the Current HD screens I have seen like the 7200 and Samsung is the really poor blacks, and the noise in the image, there is this digital feel on them, too much noise in the white levels.

As urban says, why not get a PE50 now, sell it in a year or two, HD will still look awesome on it, and then get a proper 1080p panel when they arrive?
    Buy something that is good rather than buying something that is crap but has all the toys!

26. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I will, i've made my decision! Its the panny th42pe50 with the free dvd recorder. £1400 sounds like a bit of a bargain to me now.

I love this Forum.

Being able to ask experts their view on equipment that i know nothing about is fantastic. I've never had a plasma, i don't even know anyone thats got one. The only time i've seen one is in a shop either with a crappy feed going into it or a tremendous hi-def screen. I just wish there was a website like this for everything i buy, even socks and baked beans! The world would be a better place (for me anyway).

I just want to say thanks to everyone for putting the time in to answering my mini dilemma.

27. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good price, RHCP.

As I said my comments were purely on what I saw , and while I'm no expert, I spent a bit of time playing around with the settings on the PE50 and I'd be lying if I were to say that I wasn't impressed at all - it was good picture overall, but perhaps after reading so much positive reviews for it in the mags and online I was expecting it to be better- the colours looked a little washed out to me, brightness wasn't great, and I found the picture to be lacking in depth.. but then... that could just be my perception.. that's precisely why if you read reviews from two different magazines, it could well by one praises it to the sky and ranking it as the best ever.. while the other makes it seem like the worst thing since the plague! i

Picture quality is a very subjective thing, what my eyes may perceive as unnatural and artificial colours, might be seen as 'rich and vibrant' colours by someon else... so my advice would be to take a good look at the PE50 (or any otehr screen for that matter) in flesh before committing yourself... and just trust your own judgement.. that's what matters.

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
  29. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    HAHA! :rotfl:

OH MY GOD!

I've seen everything now!

The world is a better place after all!

Those socks look like a bargain! And i agree those type of beans are rock hard!

30. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Majid

Is there a link for these reviews! :) (or do i have to physically move from my computer :eek: adn go the shop :eek: :eek: :)