1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please, i have serious PC problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vince, Dec 11, 2004.

1. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello , im typing this on my old pc ..thank god i still have it,
    my new system which runs on windows xp has totally blown a gasgit ,
    i installed norton systemworks 2004 pro on it the other day and since then it wont do nothing it takes so long in making progress the egg timer icon is on permenant.. i cant access the control panel , as i want to delete norton or even get to system restore .. i have tryed booting from my medion boot disc but this dont work at all ..it dont do nowt .. :rolleyes: and im at the point of throwing the damm pc out the window

regards
    Vince

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you cant boot from the Medion disk then either the bios is not set to boot from cd or you have a real major poblem.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Try booting in Safe mode to enable you to remove the software from the system or the system restore.

Be warned - it can take 10 to 15 mins to boot safemode (or it bloody well feels like it)

Just in case you don't know - as soon as it starts to boot *and you have to be quick* Hit F8 and select Safe Mode (I would try it without networking first)

4. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John i fear you may be right i tried booting via my medion disc and got this
    file\ i 386 \ bios info.inf
    could not be loaded
    the error code is 12800

i have left my new pc on it seems to be deleting the sytamec update and i have managed to disable the norton anti virus
    but its very slow progress

5. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just want to say a massive thanks to Sadmuppet .I owe you a pint mate.
    i had no idea about safe mode its a bloke thing "I dont read the manuals".
    i think i may know what caused the BIG problem. even though my eTrust antivirus (which came pre installed on my new pc) had elapsed (90days freebie) stupid me installed Norton systemworks and i think the 2 conflicted in a rather a big way ,, Thanks to you im all sorted now the latter done, and now fully running with NSW 2004 installed
    im no pc pro but thanks to forums like these the man with little knowledge can succeed
    ATB
    Vince

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're almost certainly right .. at work we get PCs from Evesham who supply eTrust pre-installed, the machines come with a big notice now warning about just this sort of problem if you don't uninstall eTrust first.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No problemo - You are right though, you can't run 2 virus programs together - they really get bent out of shape !