• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help please, I am a complete novice with NAS

Sue Rowbotham

Standard Member
I have just bought a Buffalo 1tb Link station with the intention of connecting to my router and and a yet to be purchased amplifier and blue ray player, both of which will be Pioneer. Please don't laugh I am not a complete novice to technology but how to use this latest piece of equipment is going right over my head. Does any know if there are there any straightforward instructions as to how to use it that I can find on the web.
I just want to store all my music, I use I tunes and have it all stored on my laptop, and loads of films on dvds.
I would really appreciate some help, goodness knows what I am going to do when the amplifier and blue ray arrives, I am much more knowledgeable about my laptop, honest :confused:

Cointreauman

Sue

The Linksttion Live is DLNA compliant and will work with ITunes comfortably

When you link it to your broadbnd ruter it will be seen. Yu then have to "map" any shres onthe drive whic is easily done with an app provided with th Linkstation called NASNavigator. This "discovers" your drive and allows you to set adrive letter so that it can be seen inWindows Explorer and youcan strt to save files to it. You will needt use one of the Apple ITunes Forums to star to get advice on moving your ITunes library across to the Linkstation. I will have a root round and see whether I can findthe one I used - was a good while back.

It is not difficult ad I hvbe had my Buffalo Lionkstation live for a long time now. It is only a 500Gb one buthas doneall I needed. The Linkstations allow you to use oneof the 2 available USB ports as a print server if you hav a USB printer you want to make wireess - or you can attach 2 USB drives and mak tem wireess to.

The actual streaming side of your system is a different matter and you should find plenty ofadvice n te coinnection of your media streaming to your AV stuff on this forum too. I helped a fried put a Linkstation into his IT setup along with an Aple TV unit - all worked straight out of the box. His was through an IMac so everything just worked.

Will ge back to you as soon as I can.

C

Sue Rowbotham

Standard Member
Thanks very much for your reply, you have helped me to see things a bit more clearly. I have setup the Buffalo and it has mapped a drive on my laptop. I think I was making it more complicated, I will find an Itunes forum to get more details of moving my library across, then I just have to tackle my movies.

Once again thankyou, I look forward to talking to you again.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom