Help! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by King007, Apr 28, 2007.

1. King007

King007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people,

I hope you can help me....the problem is that recently my PC which has been smooth all the time has been very very very sluggish!

Its a P4, 120GB with 512MB RAM. I am running Windows XP Media Centre. Recently my browser is becoming really sluggish:

Takes time to open browser
    Taking time to open shortcuts recieved via email etc

Also the problem is that even when operating the PC, it has become really slow i.e. opening programs or windows and sometimes it says unsufficient memory.

I have tried Scans with Spybot, AdAware and Norton 360. I will be reformating this soon as then will add more RAM. However I wanted to ask that what can I do in the meanwhile as I still elieve this is a virus somewhere.

I will appreictae ur replies greatly.

Hope to hear from u soon

:thumbsup:

2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Have you done the usual: defrag & empty any temp folders.

Also, how much space have you got left on the hard drive? I found that when mine is quite full it runs very slow. I added a second HDD and it really improved the speed.

3. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    You need help writing a proper thread title too! :D

It sounds like spyware or a browser hijack. If you have still got all those programs you list on the PC (especially Norton) it will go slow! Take of all the crap and stay with AVG Free and Defender.

Are you using IE7? Usually installing that resets all you browser settings to defaults.

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    If you post and google the exact wording and type of the error message it helps.

Lots of people get lack of disk space mixed up with insufficient RAM.

You could try and right-click on an empty bit of the taskbar and select Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and then click the CPU column heading to get the highest at the top. You can google each of the processes to see which one might be spyware. you might find that something legitimate is chewing up CPU.

Be careful before you remove anything - its unlikely that you have something not detected by Adaware or Spybot.

I personally wouldn't just rely on Windows Defender - it isn't a top performer in tests. I have Defender resident use Adaware and Spybot to scan regularly and turn off their resident stuff.

5. Johnr001

Johnr001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I echo all of the previous comments, but would also suggest that a registry cleanup tool such as RegClean will speed your computer considerably if it has been used for some time.
    Clean out the history and cache files in your internet browser, Window Washer is useful here, run a reg cleaning program, and then defrag. Third party defrag tools such as Raxco Perfect Disk are superior to the built in Microsoft one.

Cheers
    John