1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Please help me choose a projector!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eXistenZ, Jan 4, 2003.

1. eXistenZ

eXistenZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just when I think I've got my projector of choice lined up, another model comes out that looks as good or better!

I've narrowed my choices down to an LCD projector as I can't stand the rainbow effect of DLP.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Sanyo PLV-Z1, a Phillips Garbo Matchline and a Sony HS10.

Which of any of these do you think is the best value for money?

The garbo looks good generally and has a long lamp life. The HS10 resolution looks good and the Sanyo looks fine and is much cheaper.

Any thoughts or any more models you think I should be considering?

I have a budget of max £2000 for the projector.

Cheers,

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,830
    I have the PLV-Z1, which is stunning (and frankly can't be beaten for the price) but without a doubt if you can afford it, and the lense throw is suitable for your room, then go for the HS10. I think the fan noise is louder than the Z1 but if this doesn't bother you then (from what I've read on here) it's a no brainer.

The biggest advantage the HS10 will have over the Sanyo is that screendoor is allegedly non-existent. Not sure if it has a 16:9 panel though (don't think it does but I may be wrong).

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really non-existent, can see the panel structure up close to the screen, about 2 feet away.

HS-10 is 16/9 too.

Fan noise is very variable. When the room is warm, it's a hell of a lot noisier, & far too excessive. With a room "comfortable", say 21c, it's about the same as an AE-100, which is OK.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,830
    Non-existent for normal viewing distances then;)

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I have the Z1 and find it to be excellent, an absolute bargain. The pq is brilliant and noise level is acceptable. For me the noise level was a big selling point and as I like the house warm I don't think I could live with the HS10 - I think the pq would be better with the HS10. Screen door is not really noticable for me - 92" screen sitting 12 feet back. Prior to the pj I had Sony 41 and Tosh 46 rear proj tv's and the pq of the Z1 is as good as these imho. I have not had fan speed increase due to heat even though the room is at least 75 and usually nearer 80 degrees. Longest run has been 7 hours continuous.

Regards

Gus