Help please have no sound any more

fatskater

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me.
Basic set up is
Sky q (4K version)
Tv Samsung ue60 7000
Amp onkyo nr 509

Basically I know the amp doesn't have 4 k but I had all this working for a few months perfectly with the sound all going through the amp.
I recently took it apart to build a new tv unit and when I've connected it back together I can't get any sound via the TVs through the amp.
The tv has the breakout box so sky q goes into this and the other hdmi lead goes from the tv breakout box into the amp but I can't control the amp any more or get sound
If I take the sky box and plug direct into amp I get the sound, so somehow the TVs isn't allowing the sound through?
When I first set it up it was really easy, but I'm totally confused now why it isn't working, I'm obviously missing something I did first time.
Any thoughts ??
Thanks Ben

Sorry,
When connected it all switches the amp on etc, just no sound.
So when I turn sky on with sky remote, this then turns amp and TV on so it's all connected just no sound?

It sounds like an ARC issue and that you have done all that you can to get it working, which is usually to ensure everything labelled HDMI control / ARC / CEC is switched on, on both the TV and the AVR. Then switch both off and on again.

If still no joy, a quick fix would be to run an optical cable from the Sky Q box (I am pretty sure they have digital audio out) to the AVR.

Ensure that Anynet+ is turned on within the TV's settings and set the TV's speaker setting to RECEIVER (HDMI). Within the AV Receiver's HDMI settings, turn RIHD on and ensure any ARC setting is also set to on. Also ensure that the receiver is actually connected to the ARC enabled input on the TV's breakout box. Only one of the inputs will be ARC enabled ad will be labelled accordingly.

Ok. I e double checked all that.
Anynet+ is on the tv
Speaker set to hdmi is on( but seems to go round and round for a while and when I turn everything off it goes back to to speaker.

Arc on breakout box is where the amp is connected
Amp has hdmi control on
Arc set to auto

Still not working. The front of ampnis saying analogue and I'm sure it did say hdmi.
When I turn the sky box off it does turn tv and amp off and like wise when I turn sky on it turns to and amp on but still no sound

Ok. I e double checked all that.
Anynet+ is on the tv
Speaker set to hdmi is on( but seems to go round and round for a while and when I turn everything off it goes back to to speaker.

Arc on breakout box is where the amp is connected
Amp has hdmi control on
Arc set to auto

Still not working. The front of ampnis saying analogue and I'm sure it did say hdmi.
When I turn the sky box off it does turn tv and amp off and like wise when I turn sky on it turns to and amp on but still no sound

Press the TV source button on the receiver's remote.

I haven't used the remote for years so. It sure where it is. But I have connected at the back into cable/sat where I'm sure the cable went before.
And the front of the onkyo always said tv/cd on panel.
Have tried all the front buttons tv cable blurry etc but still no sound

The only thing that I think this could be is....

HDMI in a different place on the breakout box or Amp

Or

Faulty HDMI Lead Or One connect lead. Try swapping the HDMI about and re-seating the one connect lead. I have seen posts about faulty one connect leads so could be that also.

I already pointed out to you that only one HDMI input on the TV's breakout box will be ARC enabled.Make sure that the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV is connected to the ARC enabled input on the TV's breakout box. ARC will not function if connected to any other input on the box.

I have the hdmi connected to the arc on the breakout box. It's hdmi 4 and clearly labelled. I tried the hdmi lead between sky and the amp and got sound so assuming this lead works.
I did try the hdmi lead in all the connections on back of amp and double checked it in the other inputs on breakout box. I also unplugged the lead from the breakout box and plugged it back in

Even tried Netflix and Amazon app on tv and these have no sound either

Sounds frustrating, and ARC *should* work.

However, you do have the option to run an optical audio lead from the TV to the amp, and another from the Sky box to the amp, which would be a quick shortcut / workaround until you can figure out what is wrong with ARC.

The Onkyo is set to analogue input but needs to be HDMI.

You will need the remote to change the audio input, or there might be a menu / setup / source / input button on the front. It might be hidden under a flap.

Adam, when I connect sky q directly to the amp it plays and it is digital etc. It's got to be something from the tv but I can't see any settings that could be stopping this and all the above settings are checked and on etc.

I did a reset to factory settings of the tv and the amp and still no luck.
I didn't want to run an optical from sky to the amp as I also have xbox s and some other devices.
So I went and dug out an optical cable from the garage and plugged this from the tv breakout box to the amp and this works with sky and the TVs apps etc. So sound is getting there just not through hdmi anymore.
Very strange? Any more thoughts

I had a similar problem with arc/cec until I discovered how to get the audio return to work with the hdmi monitor out by assigning it to input as well. Until then I used optical as deleted member suggests.
One other thing that has worked with several bits of equipment is: once the arc/cec is all configured - unplug the hdmi cable and then plug back in. Dunno why but it always seems to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom