1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please guys

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gil2, Apr 22, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone , just joined up here coz i cant find an answer to my problem anywhere on the web , and i`m hopping some of u clever audio peeps can help

ok my audio specs are these
    speakers......Altec Lansing ADA 995 THX
    sound card...Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1 digital

my problem is this......i cannot hear a thing from my speakers when s/pdif is selected , they seem to mute , not once have i ever heard anything from them when s/pdif selected ? . the indicator lights up on the back of the sub telling me its recieving s/pdif when switched via software , and if i play an audio track in media player classic and select s/pdif , i hear nothing at all just silence , if i deselect s/pdif from creatives surround mixer my audio returns ? , am i missing something here , like i said i have searched the net for an answer but to no avail , please guys help me out :lease:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Try start - control panel - sounds and audio devices - advanced - check that there is not a tick in the mute box for master volume and spdif

lisa

3. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. I can't find any info on these speakers. How are they supposed to be connected?
    Most soundcards will only allow you to output either analogue (ie line out) or digital (ie spdif) but not both at the same time.
    You would normally connect all five speakers and subs to the 3 or 4 analogue outputs from your soundcard, or, if they have a digital input and can decode Dolby Digital/DTS etc you can connect a digital input. By the sound of it you have both types of connections. I've never seen any speakers systems that require you to use both at the same time (that doesn't mean there aren't any though).

4. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys , err.... no m8 not muted , to be fair u gota go down the odvious route first though ... so fair enough , heres a link to the speakers h**p://support.ap.dell.com/docs/acc/ada995/trouble.htm#light

they connect with the usual connections although they dont need a seperate s/pdif connection ? what that means ..... i have no idea

5. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you just need to connect all your usual analogue connections and leave the spdif disconnected (and switched off). I think it's as I said before, you use either the analogue connections or the spdif.
    Do you get 5.1 sound from all the speakers when spdif is switched off (watching a DVD etc)?

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    How are you connecting to the speakers i.e. through a amp or direct to the PC?

If direct to the PC what connections are you using?

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Glad to be of help, er, mate, it seems that your amp is sensing a signal in, so it probably is just a setting somewhere, have you tried a different media player? Are you getting any windows sounds?

lisa

8. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry Lisa , quickly looked at yer reply and .....made a mistake didnt see yer user name :oops:

to the others the speakers are connected to my Pc with the supplied and factory fitted at one end cables ...yellow , black and green and are fitted to the sound card in the right color order , there is no seperate s/pdif connection just an indicator light to show when the software puts the signal out , ie tick box in creatives surround mixer

sorry took so long coming back got hungry , grabed half a quiche , cuppa tea , had a fight with the Mrs .....hahahah she missed buying something on a shopping chanel coz she couldnt find the phone ......when she did find it the number to the shopping chanel was barred ....same four start didgits as interactive which my kids used to play ( costly ) on sly....then she grabbed my mobile but the offer had ended .....hahahah

oh and lisa i have tried windows media player , power dvd , media player classic and direct dvd , which is very powerful

my system is a amd 3000+ with a gig of mem and approx 340 gig h/d space , although most of it is full ( needs a clear out soon me thinks ) :suicide:

anyway where where we

oh yeah and when the s/pdif tick box is unticked i get full 5.1 THX surround no probs , my point is i wana listen to DTS stuff and i cant hear a thing s/pdif ticked or not ? i cant hear anything with s/dif ticked not a hoot

9. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    s/pdif is a connection to an external amp, when aplied will tern off the PCs normal speaker ports. This is why you get no sound as you are not using s/pdif, you are using the speaker connections direct from your PC.

Just to clarify s/pdif is to connect to an external amp.

10. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    That probably means your hardware does not support DTS

11. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ??????? how odd m8 , NO my speakers are directly connected to my Pc not an external amp , i have no other connections , just the 3 mentioned above , and when s/pdif is selected in software the sub/amp all in one lights up saying s/pdif recieving

12. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    to use s/pdif you must connect 1 cable either a tosh link (which is a fiber otic cable (when connected to the sorce if you look at the other end you see a light)) or a coax cable this look very much like a single AV conect but bis rated higher. Trying to explain in laymans term but failing, the basic idea is that if your speakers are directly pluged into the PC on seperate plugs then there is no need for s/pdif

13. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats ok m8 , i`m with ya , its ok , im not too dumb ish ...so why has this setup got only analogue connections , but has a s/pdif light , that lights up when a s/pdif software switch is thrown , if s/pdif mutes the Pc audio as i`m experiencing and you mentioned how the hell is the sound blaster going to output s/pdif ? its just muted the speakers by selecting s/pdif

in laymans terms the Pc software says ok i`l output s/pdif but i`m also muting the speakers at the same time ? duuhh , now ya see why i couldnt find an answer anywhere on the net

bet ya wish i never joined dont ya ....sorry ( me grins )

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Got a manual? :D

15. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheeky monkey lisag :hiya:

i do as it happens but its exactly the same as my supplied link above in my second thread, and its about as much use a chocy fireguard :thumbsdow

now ya see i`m thinking out loud here , these speakers where originaly supplied with a Dell setup , top of the line machine using a Santa Cruz sound card is it possible that that card has something on board to be able to switch between the 2 , analogue and s/pdif and was specificaly designed for that purpose and speakers ? hmm the more i think about it the less it seems possible , they wouldnt do that ....too costly , maybe its the santa cruz software that does it ?

a line from the manual says
    if a digital signal is detected ,which can only happen when the versa jack is set to digital out in the speaker controls software ?

do they mean s/pdif when they say <versa jack>

NO REPLYS
    yeah i know ....i`l get me coat :hiya:

16. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the manual, when using the Santa Cruz card you should only have the analogue inputs connected.
    It is very vague with rspect to spdif inputs. It doesn't even show if you have a seperate input for it or if it uses one of the analogue inputs (it does mention that the center channel is muted if spdif is selected).
    Right, your problem is you want to listen with DTS? Connect your speakers using just the 3 standard analogue connections and switch spdif off. Open up PowerDVD and put a DTS disc in. Play the disc and select DTS (either by using the DVDs menus or right clicking once it's started and selecting Audio Langauges > English 2. Then right click again, this time select Show Information. You should now have some information showing in the top corner of your screen. The bottom line shoud read: Audio DTS 5.1
    If it does and you can heard sound from all your speakers you're done. If not post back here with what happens.

17. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Mike

sorry havent been back earlier , been rushed of my feet here , will do as u sau m8 in a few mins and post back with results , but i`m sure i have done that , still dosent hurt to try again

by the way there is NO seperate connector for s/pdif , nothing , just the 3 normal connections u mentioned , the only way to tell whether s/pdif is being recieved into the sub is from the light on the back , and it only lights up when s/pdif is selected from a software switch , in my case using creatives surround software

back soon

18. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dah , still nowt Mike

i have Mike Oldfield Tub bells dvd which is in 5.1 and DTS , 5.1 is fine switch to DTS and nothing , as u say the display shows DTS , but i cant hear a thing , tried with s.pdif on and off as well just incase , but still no joy

wo is me , why is that ? its very frustrating

19. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    maybe the "light" you are seeing is the output of an optical signal!!!

20. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    scrap that idea, the versa jack (the yellow one) can output either:
    sub/centre or
    s/pdif, this would mean (that unless your sub/amp has the same versa jack) you would need a 3.5mm to RCA plug digital coaxial lead i think, then plug this in the digital input of the amp. what does the digital input on the sub look like? versa jack, rca/phono or optical?

see this site: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5853040.asp

21. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks m8 for coming back , there are no NO NO NO :hiya: connections on the back of the sub/amp , it is factory wired with 3 cables which are all 3.5mm and colour coded , the colour coding is standard for sound card connection , and thats it , there are sockets for the satellite speakers to connect to - into the sub/amp , and bass control knob , and a sp/dif indicator light , nothing more , no coax , no rca , as i said before , when i select sp/dif from software the light on the back of the sub/amp lights up , telling me its recieving a signal but i`m hearing nothing , they literaly mute , the slight hiss that is just audible in normal operation disapears and i`m left with bugger all sound , i have messed til i`m blue in the face with different players all showing s/pdif output but still i hear zip all ?????????? maybe , just maybe they will only operate propely with a santa cruz card then , seems odd though

here is the page to the back panel of the sub/amp
    h**p://support.ap.dell.com/docs/acc/ada995/trouble.htm#light

22. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    that doesnt seem odd at all, the card would need that versa jack output, it seems thats your problem

23. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh well m8 , so the versa jack thing is only available on a santa cruz , dont spose ya know if there still available do ya m8

24. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    no idea
    check your other post about surround sound