Help please, Graphics card failed???

madstaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a Dell XPS430 which has been working fine up until a few days ago.
I noticed the screen showing random artifacts when it should have been showing the screen saver.

The next day the screen was all distorted and showing a checkerboard pattern, and started to shut down my pc.

I have started up in safe mode and seems ok, then reboot as normal, ok for a while and then the screen goes all mixed up, ie, things get sort of broken up into a few bits.

Is this a possible graphics card failure?? It has a AMD 4670 fitted at the mo, about 3-4 years old.

If it is the card at fault what would be an equal if not slightly better one i could replace it with??

Thanks.

Sounds like heat problems if it's shutting down, check the fan but I fear you'll need a new card.

check for driver updates from AMD.
check for any debris/dust etc. in the fan/heatsink
run a stress test program like furmark and see what temps you get to.
any higher than 85c is generally the card running hot. you could try reapplying the thermal paste as if the card is 3-4 years old the old stuff is most likely not working as it should (hard and cracked).

Thanks for the replys, the screen is distorted immediately from booting up so i wouldn't say overheating was the problem?? I have cleaned the card, no dust, fan spins ok.

Uninstalled the AMD driver and the Catalyst control suite and rebooted using the default VGA driver and still the same problem.

Reverted whole system back to day one using Dell system restore, still the same.

Anyone suggest a decent replacement?? I fear the card has met its maker??

If you want to avoid hassle, just RMA it and either get a replacement card to try again, or a full refund and buy a card from a different manufacturer.

It has a AMD 4670 fitted at the mo, about 3-4 years old.

If you want to avoid hassle, just RMA it and either get a replacement card to try again, or a full refund and buy a card from a different manufacturer.

Bit late for that...

Does sound like the card has died, I would suggest an AMD HD6570 or above depending on budget :smashin:

Waiting on an Asus AMD 6670 - Asus 6670 gddr5

From my limited knowledge should be on par if not better than the 4670 its replacing??

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom