1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please - Ghosting of channels on SKY Digital

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davidh, Jan 21, 2002.

1. davidh

davidh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had SKY Digital for over a year and have generally been quite happy.

However, I've just got a new Sony 32DX40 TV and am now experiencing some ghosting of other channels on another channel that I'm trying to watch. (e.g. when watching sky sports I can sometimes see faint text/images of maybe a BBC of C4 programme across my picture.

I'm pretty sure the cables and the set-up I'm using are the same on the new TV as before but I never seemed to suffer from thsi problem.

What would cause this problem?

I don't think it's a weak digital signal as this has not changed.

Dave

PS - Also, why do Sky Digital crop many non-Sky channels so that you can't see all the horizontal picture? The new series of Friends is fine (has 'E4 brand new' in top left) but new ER just has 'and new' - misisng the 'E4 br' !

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ER is broadcast in widescreen so maybe you need to change your video settings.

DaveP

3. davidh

davidh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,

But not sure how this should be done.

I have my SKY Digital feed in & out of the stb and into my VCR via scart. I then have a scart out of VCR into the RGB scart of the 32DX40 TV (I have my DAVS500 feeding into the other scart with s-video to scart connector).

However, the SKY Digital feed via the VCR does not seem to auto-recognise picture size. In fact, even when I adjust picture size on TV the ER feed via Sky still lost lots of the horizontal image even on the 4:3 ratio so not sure what's going on.

Is there any way I can get my TV to automatically set the picture size from my SKY stb whilst going through the VCR? Do I need to put SKY feed directly into TV?

All help appreciated.

Ta

Dave

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure why you havn't plugged the TV out on the Digibox into the TV Scart and the VCR out of the Digibox into the VCR!

Also, check you have SCart control set to on in the Digibox menu.

DaveP

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VCR scart on the digibox does not use the pin 8 switching signal. Only the TV out scart does.

6. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Firstly reconnect the Digibox and VCR as recommended above such that the Digibox has a direct connection to the TV and the VCR is accessible via passthru - this will give you the advantage of an RGB feed to the TV from the Digibox and a much improved picture quality.

Secondly concerning the ghosting: Assuming the DX40 behaves in a simmilar way to the DX20, switch the TV to digital channel 8 - which should have nothing assigned against it, before using the Digibox, does this help with the ghosting??

The RGB scart socket (assuming this set works like a DX20) will be outputing both an RGB and composite video feed from the digital tuner, some where in the chain you are getting cross talk between what the TV is outputing, and the feed on this scart socket (this could be happening within the TV, the scart lead or the VCR).

I would recommend upgrading the scart lead to a fully screened version - including the RGB connection, or better still get a scart lead that is unidirectional - i.e it only connects in one direction.

I have a simmilar problem with my 28DX20 which is connected to my Sony DVPS715 via the RGB enabled scart. I always switch the TV to channel 8 before watching a DVD which completely eliminates the problem. One day I will get round to investigating the route cause!

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DavidH, just a thought regarding the ghosting. On my Sony I can select which AV socket is selected to output whatever the TV is showing. Try changing this to one of the other AV ports.

DaveP

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Another DX20 and 715 owner - well I've got a KV32DX20

With the Sky box

1) try a better Scart lead
    2) try a non programme channel, or an analogue channel
    3) run with composite
    4) CAM from Ondigital, and dump Sky

9. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem here is the TV.........
    If the TV tuner is tuned to a channel receiving pictures.... this information is still filtering through despite the fact you might be viewing via the scart.......

If you go to a blank Terrestrial channel (one that there is no signal being received) on your TV before switching over to view Sky and you see there is no longer a "ghost picture" in the background then it is the TV! and proves the point Im making.

IE. Its the TV!

It could well be that your Sony 32DX40 TV is more senstive than your previouse TV....
    Your terrestrial signal could be overloading the TV's tuner...... it might be worth trying a variable attenuater in your terrestrial aerial lead.......
    one could be made with a variable resistor of maybe 50 K OHM...... I can be more spacific if you want me to.

Kind regards JPC

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    The ghosting is the infamous pin19 snipthat pops up every so often regular as clockwork.

As others have pointed out it is crosstalk from the RF tuner in the TV affecting the other inputs : you may see this more readily on an RGB input as there is inherently less noise with this signal which would otherwise hide crosstalking slightly.

It happens on so many sets that as a matter of course I do two things.

Snip pin19 at the TV end of the scart lead: this will disable the composite output of the tuner stage that most TVS have even if its not mentioned in the manual : this should prevent any crosstalk happening internally in the scart lead or at the source end. ( look for tips on how to do the snip its been covered in depth and is straight forward unless you have a moulded on scart plug!)

Secondly tune in either a dead channel to a vacant preset on the RF tuner ( black is better than static). Alternatively if you have a digibox tune in the RF output of that . Before you engage the RGB input switch to the dead/RF output channel . This way any crosstalk will either be neutral or match the RGB image so it won't be visible. I don't get any crosstalk when watching my dvd player so I use the RF output of my digibox instead of a dead channel.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't attenuate the aerial signal!

Also don't use live - too bright - play with personal

It is not composite cross talk - it is because the TV is outputting RGB to Scart 1 from the digital tuner. Remember TV tuner is RGB as well!

Try going to an analogue channel or get a RGB one way lead.

How much do you watch on Sky?

Since BBC & ITV are unaffected.