Help please! Get to the o2 from t'other side of river...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bilbob, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Any one able to help?
    We are goin to see Prince at the o2, and intend on staying at the travelodge on the north side of the river. The o2 site says it's less than half a mile away, but streetmap shows it's connected via the blackwall tunnel... can this be walked? What are our options?

Cheers for any assistance!

Oh, and if anyone knows of a hotel for less than a ton on the 12th that's local, much appreciated too!

2. RichardK

RichardK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    No, you can't walk through the blackwall tunnel. The best way to get to the O2 is to go on the underground to North Greenwich on the jubilee line.

There are two travelodges north of the river in that area. The London Docklands one would be most convenient.

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    My girlfriend and I went to see Prince a couple of weeks ago and we went down from Manchester. North Greenwich is definitely easiest way to go. :)

Also, he was absolutely epic. I didn't even want to go but my girlfriend dragged me along and I'm glad I went, he was ace!

4. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Spooky... we too are going from Manchester! Driving down on the day, and stopping over. Paid a bit over the odds on Ebay, but got golden circle tickets at the side, so should be good!

5. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Try the Woolwich ferry at Beckton. Come across, turn right at the big roundabout along Woolwich and follow the signs to the Blackwall Tunnel. You will then see signs for the O2.

Drop me a beer on you're way (live down the Thames Path in the colourful flats next to the O2)

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Well the rather obvious way to get there would be taxi. As you have found out, its a quick hop under the blackwall tunnel.

However, procuring a taxi outside the dome for the return might not be so easy (but never tried it)

Now that the dome has re-opened I believe they have also started running the ferry again from masthouse terrace at the bottom of docklands to the dome.

7. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    being resident prince expert and prince o2 show veteran, i can tell you the greenwich north tube station is right at the o2, and just ask the hotel the nearest tube the hotel is at

i hope you are going to the aftershows, if so, i suggest you get the number of a local taxi firm from the hotel, and call it as soon as you are outside the indigo2 aftershow venue as you will then have to wait a few mins on taxi to arrive, and usually meet them on millenium way, just follow people leaving down past the tube station

i wouldn't wait in the line cuz for a taxi afterwards as they charge more, plus you wait to call a taxi, then wait for a long list of people to get taxis. taxi to your hotel should be about 15 quid. tubes all stop at 1am and restart about 4 or 5am ish. you can't walk back to the hotel, and the clipper boat will take you further away

aftershow are finishing around 2.30am btw. on 12th the q awards launch party is on, and i expect the little man to perform at the aftershow

during weekdays the hotels are a bit more expensive. in fact i think i'm staying at the travelodge that day myself, so if you hear a couple of girls screaming from inside a hotel room, thats probably the room i'm in :D

i think we got a family room for 99 quid, but a single room was 50 quid. we spent ages finding rooms on those days as weekdays are more expensive. you could get further away, but then spend more on taxis

if you need anymore help about prince shows, just post or pm me. i think a friend has a couple spare aftershow tix on 12th if you dont have em and they aren't onsale on TM

8. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    For anyone going to the O2 from out of town, there is a Holiday Inn Express on Bugsby Way if that helps (and all rooms now have air conditioning or so the sign on the building says) and there is parking for £6 for two nights. It is about a three to five minute walk to the O2 and there is a lovely chinese restaurant downstairs if you want to avoid the pre-show dinner crowds at the O2.

Details are available at http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex.../mapsearchresults&rpb=hotel&_requestid=659189

Being a North Greenwich resident, it's pretty safe to walk around at night so you shouldn't encounter any problems walking back to the hotel

9. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    How much for the tickets? When you said about the q awards, do you think prince may be at the aftershow or the awards?

Unfortunately, the local hotels seem to be full that day, can't find 'owt local under a ton...

Gonna have to have a look up the jubilee line it appears...

10. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    No room at the inn....:(

Mrs is getting worried!!

11. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Sorry mate. Maybe give them a call on the off chance that they may have any cancellations that have not yet been processed?

12. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    fans usually make a point of only selling tix at face value (plus costs) or less, they don't profit from them. i just put people in touch so they can sort it out between themselves

if the travelodge is fully booked (and it think that was the best price my friends could find), and the north greenwich holiday inn is booked or too expensive (thats the closest hotel, holiday inn express north greenwich - you can literally walk to/from tube and o2, i'm gonna stay there after some shows), let me know and i'll have a look and post or pm some other data to help you. some rooms i've had were £50 a nite, sometimes £59 or £69 for holiday inn north greenwich, but for friday/sat nites. the weekday hotel rates are usually much more

the q award launch party (where they announce nominations - not the awards) happens when prince is due onstage at the o2 for his main show, and it has all sorts of indie bands appearing, so i doubt prince will show, but as lots of celebs etc will be there, i think he will play the aftershow to show off that he's better than all of them put together, as showing off is princes second favorite thing to sexing the ladies and reading the bible (at the same time)

there are ways of obtaining cheaper prices on holiday inn, you have to go through the lesuire breaks link on the main page, the cheaper price doesn't work if you hotlink or go direct. also try lastminute.com and look on those bargain websites. when you find prices online, then google up the hotel direct and negotiate a price with them directly. i suggest using mapquest to determine how far away the place is, cuz a cheap hotel that costs a fortune by taxi just isn't worth it

13. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    I think tube to North Greenwich is the way to go. I wouldn't rely on the blackwall tunnel as they do maintenance works at night sometimes and close the whole tunnel. So a simply 10 minute journey ends up taking a hour!

Any of you chaps living in the Millenium Village apartments that got the flood ?

14. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    That will be fantastic! We got first level and on the "good" side of the arena - because the stage is in the middle if you sit on one side of the arena you only get to see the back of the artists and see Prince only when he isn't singing! Don't think you'll have that problem with those seats. You're going to love it buddy!

Stu

15. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    the travelodge in Ilford anyone? Very far? Looks it on the a site, but realistically, whats a cab gonna cost for that? And after midnight?

16. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Cup of tea and a biscuit to anyone that can find me a travelodge within reasonable tube travelling distance!:smashin:

17. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    two tips, use mapquest, and then phone the hotel and ask them how much a taxi would be to the o2 - all the hotels i've been at knew this. and ask what tube the hotel is near so you can look at the tube map

18. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    not travelodge, but www.lastminute.com put in the date and london, and then select order as "hotels closest to the o2" and there are a couple around £70. they can't be that great though. it looks like everywhere is booked up as i checked travelodge and holiday inns for those dates, but 8-10km away, so probably not that great after all.

19. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    To be honest, right now, to get SWMBO off my back, anywhere within a 10-15 quid taxi ride will do!

20. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Theres the 4 seasons hotel in Canary Wharf. 1 stop away from North Greenwich on the Jubilee Line...Might be pricey though, but your Mrs might be impressed

21. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Can a local tell me if Ilford is realistic? Found a travelodge there, only 65 quid too, is a taxi gonna be mental? Is tube (max, one change) a possibility?

22. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Try www.tfl.gov.uk they have a journey planner. I typed in Ilford to North Greenwich. 25 mins and there is a change from Rail to Tube.

Not sure how accurate this is, but hope it helps.

Just remembered there is a another hotel near Greenwich rail station. Will look up name as well.

23. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    OK Novotel hotel is near Greenwich Rail, which is about 10 mins by bus to O2.

Ibis hotel in Greenwich as well.

Not sure what are the prices or if got rooms.

Hope that helps

24. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Well well well...

I managed to find a cancellation at the Travelodge near the o2!
    Got a family room for 99 quid:)

Result!

Cheers for everyones help!

25. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211

cool. i might see you there then. thats the same price/room we got btw