Answered Help please from any of my fellow Tag Mclaren users...

Mr. Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all the Tag Mclaren users that still frequent this forum.

I could really do with a few pearls of wisdom from anyone that's got a bit of experience with the TAG bus control system as I'm having a bit of a head scratching session at the moment.

I'm currently running an AV32r DP 7.1 and DVD32r together with a 250 x 3r and a 100 x 5r for amplification duties. I have just last week had the 250 serviced by Kevin and while I was there he added a third 250 module taking me from the original 2ch as it left the factory to 3ch. The 100 x 5r is now on side and rear surround speaker duties and the centre module has been turned off.

When I switch from the most regularly used Dolby Digital 5.1 sky hd feed (which is configured to run all 7 channels) to the DVD32r (which is configured as Direct for stereo reproduction) all the inactive channels go to sleep as I'd expect however the (new) centre channel on the 250 stays on.

I'm wondering if, given that my 250 amp shipped from the factory as a 2ch unit and has just had a third channel fitted, the control processor might not know the new module is there so as a result can't or won't talk to it. If that's the case is there anything I can do about it? That said it turns on and off when the unit is switched on or into standby via the AV32r so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree there...

I've powered everything down and disconnected the TAG bus cables and then reconnected everything before firing the system back up but no joy. I still can't put the new centre channel to sleep.

I quizzed Kevin himself about this but as he's really a 2ch man he's not really conversant with TAG multi-channel control issues so I'm tapping into the vast resources of AV Forums in hope of some light being shed and hopefully a fix being offered.

For completeness my bus cable runs as follows:

AV32r bus out > 250 x 3r bus out > 100 x 5r bus out > DVD32r (as per TAG's instructions I have not closed the bus loop)

I can only thank you in advance for any help provided.

Yours frustratedly staring at that little red centre channel led that won't go out

Mr. Mer

No clued up 'TAGophiles still on here then? :(

Sadly, I can't help. We are mostly all still here but with the removal of the TAG McLaren sub-forum, posts like this get lost in the general quagmire. I used to stop by every month or so and check the TAG forum. No point anymore since it doesn't exist and its removal just happened with hardly any warning save for one message in a part of the forum that you might never check!

Thanks for reaching out Mr_Orange. It was indeed very disappointing to see the TAG sub-forum go. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate we had it good for many years but it was nice to see a little "community" of sorts still sharing info and the love for our old legacy kit. I never in my life thought I'd still be getting as much joy from my old tech as I do almost 20 years after I bought my first piece of the TAG puzzle and suspect there aren't many brands that enjoyed such loyalty and enthusiasm from its owners. Not being able to isolate that centre channel during stereo listening sessions isn't a deal breaker but I'd love to know why the bus won't turn it off. Oh well, maybe Doctor Zucker still chucks an eye in on here as he had an admirable habit of doing and might shed some light one day on my conundrum... Best wishes Mr. Mer

Mr. Mer,

I have a number of Tag/Cyrus power amps connected to my AV32R. Kevin removed one of the channels from my 100x5r to make way for PCBoards to house super large capacitors as the original Tag ones go flat over a period of time.

From what I remember its just a case of choosing what channels are required in the AV32 Channel allocation setup menu.

Regards,
Jellster

Hi Jellster. I tried to go into the channel allocation menu on my DP as I'd previous set the channels up with relevant muting with no problems. when my 250 was only 2 channel I'll have another go and see what happens. Thanks anyway...

Mr. Mer,

Forum member ti33er was always a fountain of knowledge on the Tag kit, might be worth getting in contact with him, looks like he's still a member ! There are still some of us original Tag die hards out there !

Regards,
Jellster

Thanks. I'll send ti33er a message if I'm still having issues. I'm pleased I'm not the only one still getting enjoyment from this kit...

Mr. Mer,

Did you see my second post ? I will connect up my s-video cable tonight and go into my AV32R set-up menu to see what i did. Currently im not sure I have the tag bus connected as I remember Kevin saying when I had my 100x5r serviced/upgraded, should always switch the AV32r & Amps off by there main button rather than leave in standby which is what happens when you use the Tag BUS, it's convenient but he can tell by the PCB's what components have had some stick by leaving in standby mode. Hence why the PSU parts in the AV32R are favorite for needing replacing in a service.

Mr. Mer,

Unfortunately my Tag kit is all still set up but not using as the AV32R is in need of a service by Kevin and with a 2 year old doing the pokey pokey thing like they do have not switched it on and cant really switch on when shes gone to bed and unfortunate kids zap your finances and time so cant currently afford to get it serviced and spare the time to get to Kevin in Oxford, fingers crossed though that will change soon when we get the government 30 hours free Nursery support in September !

Ah... I do have the bus connected and must confess I leave on standby :( Maybe I must stop this to help preserve the PCBs but it's confusing as some say leaving equipment on is less stressful for the components. I've had my DP serviced and my 250r (which Kevin just added the third module and changed all the caps and relays in) and also my 100r has been taken care of so I'm hopeful I've got a few more enjoyable listening years left...

Good luck getting your kit serviced and back up and running...

Thanks, must confess it sounds a bit flat when I do fire it up at the minute, but pretty sure Kevin's AV32R service will sort this out. Assume hes still living in same house in Oxford ?

It is a tricky one with standby or totally off but just guided by Kevin all those years ago.
Sounds like your looking after you kit anyway so should all be good !

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get everything serviced. My 250 x 3r seems to have much more punch after some new caps. The unit I've got had one previous owner and is in mint condition but all the original Elna (?) caps had shrivelled up inside and when Kevin showed me and gave them a shake I was quite surprised. A real eye (and ear) opener for me. I just need to get my "spare" DP up to him for a service at some point but I'm a fair way from Bicester so have to plan ahead...

All this talk of servicing our TAG kit makes me nervous since Brisbane is one heck of a long way from Bicester and I don't know if I would trust anybody locally to do the job.

Welcome back Mr Orange ! it's been a while since having a conversation ! Time for me to pay a visit to Kevin with the hard earned I think ! may have to rob a bank on the way ! Luckily just over an hour away from me !

Mr. Mer

Have also pinged ti33er to join in this post :thumbsup:

Don't know the logistics why the Tag Forum was shut down but is it easy to get re-set up again anyone ?

Don't know the logistics why the Tag Forum was shut down but is it easy to get re-set up again anyone ?

I doubt it would be reestablished. It hung around for a long time along with the Arcam forum. There was an announcement buried on another part of the site that it was going to be closed and the threads merged elsewhere but there wasn't really a right of reply. In the RACI heirarchy, it was the 'I' - Inform and not the 'C' - Consult.

Hi Everyone

Wow it’s been a while and Ive not had TAG kit since my little one started walking and got interested in touching things

From what I recall there is a TAG BUS section you set up the modules for the amps and how they inter operate !

Are you not using the 250 as a Center channel!?!!! I’d use that over the 100R module any day

A dirty fix, if you really don’t want to use that channel is to remove the Fuse from the control box on the right hand side - there would be a fuse for each channel there

Sebastian Karl Knurr has my ex DP and very well versed with this kit ....see if you can hail him?

Also, you could use that 250 channel to power a Passive 10” in-wall Subwoofer ;-)

I’m amazed they got rid of the only TAG repository on the Internet!?

Could have at least allowed some else to host this wealth of information ;-(

(Sorry, re-Reading your original post I got confused with your setup; skim reading tsk tsk ...the middle channel should go off once you’ve set it up on the TAGtronic BUS and assigned identities ...the Amps also had firmware versions, require the programming cable and the firmware file)!

Last edited:
Hello, maybe this old thread could be helpful.

Av 100*5: Tagtronic does not work

If you have the programming cable, I can upload you the latest software of the amps.

(Sorry, re-Reading your original post I got confused with your setup; skim reading tsk tsk ...the middle channel should go off once you’ve set it up on the TAGtronic BUS and assigned identities ...the Amps also had firmware versions, require the programming cable and the firmware file)!

Thanks for taking the time to read and then reread my post ti33er ;-) I had a 250 x 2r working in tandem with a 100 x 5 r to power all 7 channels of my set up and had managed to configure the system to turn off the relevant 'redundant' modules during Direct + Sub and 5.1 modes. Kevin added his last NOS 250 module recently bringing my 250 x 2r up to 250 x 3r meaning I'd have a dormant 5th channel in the 100 x 5 r in a 7.1 set up. As you rightly suggest running the new 250 module for my centre is a noticeable step up.

My issue really is that I have not been able to configure my revised set up to put the new (centre) 250 module to sleep during Direct + Sub playback. I have the Tag bus connected and everything seems OK with the exception of the ability to put the third 250 module to sleep when it's not being used.

I think karlknurr may be on the right track and maybe an amp software update is what I need. I'll respond to his kind offer in a separate post as I have the programming cable. More to follow in due course I'm sure. Thanks again...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom