Help Please - Espon EH-TW6100W vs Panasonic PT AT6000

kevin2me

Standard Member
Hi All,

Can ye help me choose, and any info im missing.

Been looking at Projectors for Years now, and I will finally be biting the bullet soon.
Its my First Projector and its been good waiting so long as learned alot from trends and new releases.
My Fav so far has been Panasonic AT4000, then last year nice upgrade to PT5000 and great now 6000.

Q1 40,000 vs 500,000:1 contrast ratio make huge improvements?
Q2 Does Pana do split screen?
Q3 How superior is Pana Picture Quality vs Espon?
Q4 Is Epson With 5 HDMI Wireless 1080P and P2P and 1000e seem more of bargain?
Q5 Does Pana need firmware update be applied by pana for it to work for SKY HD like PT5000?
Q6 Do others here use Wireless HD and is it good as wired? :)

PANASONIC PT AT6000
  • 2800e
  • Great 3D and top picture
  • 2400 Lumens
  • 500,000:1
  • Power Focus
  • I Like Preset Lens Shifts, so auto adjust picture to 16:10, and others etc at push of button
  • No 3D Glasses, Maybe via promotion?
PANASONIC PT AT6000 - 3D LCD projector | Pixmania Ireland

EPSON EH-TW6100W
  • 1740e
  • 2300 Lumens
  • Spilt Screen
  • 5 HDMI Inputs Wireless 1080p Transmitter plus Pass thru to TV Set
  • 40000:1
  • 2 Pair 3D Glasses
EPSON EH-TW6100W 3D projector - white | Pixmania Ireland

Move from Current Setup:
I will be replacing my 55 INCH Sony Rear projection TV (kds-55a2000) as Optical Block is worn so green tint on screen.
I will have following hooked up to it, Wii U, Xbox, PS3, SkyHD.

It will be in Std living room, so prob remove TV here and maybe fixed screen or paint, ideals welcome :)
Or else leave TV as is and get electronic screen to come down over the Windows.
My budget is nil so scrapping funds together for this ASAP :) So worried extra cost Screen, Ceiling mount.
Would I get away with simply getting projector Paint and having Projector on a Shelf at angle right and end of room?
IMAG0454%2520%25281%2529.jpg

So basically my heart says Pana, Wallet and ease of setup for living room says epson :)
Sorry for all questions, but no demo rooms here for me to view and AV Forums people are best :)
Thanks all, Kev

Last edited:

kevin2me

Standard Member
Any ideas for me all? :)
Mainly unsure contrast difference and pictre quality of these two vs each other?

And whether Espon with Wireless, Split Screen and 1000e cheaper is no brainer option or not.
Although my heart says pana is going to be out of this world qualitywise but so priccy :)

Thanks all

kevin2me

Standard Member
Hey All, Bump :)

Any Ideas on this thread, Be very welcome to hear from all ye,
Especially as us poor sods in ireland never get chance to see Demo room not to mind A Projector :)
Yet to see one in a home over here bar few cheap ones in bars.

Is Pana worth the extra for better picture,
also I have lot console and here 6000w had a lot lag, not sure regarding 6100w,

Thanks again

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Sorry, no idea regarding comparisons but I should have a 6100w in a couple of weeks time and will be happy to take a few pics and take a look at the gaming lag for you.

I do know that regarding the split screen feature, this can only be used between different types of input so HDMI & Component, etc. You can't have two HDMI inputs running side by side.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
IMHO you're making the classic mistake of choosing based on the (manufacturers) specifications. The Panasonic is no where near as bright as 2400 Lumes would have you think in any kind of accurate mode and neither will it produce 500,000:1 contrast either...probably more like 10,000:1.

For the real facts, search for 'Cine4home.de' and use a Google translator (unless you speak German) and you can see their measured results for various projectors. Even so I still think it's a mistake to buy based on figures: I'm a JVC fan, but I have friends who have chosen to buy the new Sony VW50ES over the JVC X35 because they prefer the picture despite the X35 having higher native contrast.

I know you say you can't demo, but I'd seriously suggest trying to find somewhere that can demo: You might pay a little more than buying from a website, but at least you can find out which one suits your taste rather than buying on specifications and other people's opinion.

Not sure where you're based but the Sony and JVC should be a similar price to the Panasonic...I'd have either over the Panny myself, but as I said, try to get a demo.

kevin2me

Standard Member
Not sure where you're based but the Sony and JVC should be a similar price to the Panasonic...I'd have either over the Panny myself, but as I said, try to get a demo.

Kelvin,

Big thanks for that, that’s just kind of response I came here for.
I want to get the right 1st time as 2-3000e is big chuck of change and im not rich 

I’ve been wanting to do this for long time and ive been patient and waiting for that time where get good value for my buck.
Especially now with such good specs on both machines. 3D, 1080P, contrasts, wireless, inputs and what not.
So Contrast to me seemed like such a difference no idea if meant much or not. But Ill be sure to check Cine4Homes.

Its such pain in Cork, Ireland as no method to Demo, I’d probably have to fly to London for Demos its as easy as getting to Dublin.
But Yes Im purely basing this on Specs and Reviews and forums.

As for Sony\JVC I’ve discounted them as only local site that decent is Pixmania.ie and they don’t stock them.
Richer Sounds might do so, I might get onto them in Belfast too. Any other recommendations to purchase?
Id like somewhere local like Pixmania as least Irish Site in euros but id be happy to look elsewhere if any good UK\Europe Recommendations

Cine4Home - Start Seite - www.cine4home.de looks well cool, no wonder all YouTube projector reviews are in german 

Thanks again kev

kevin2me

Standard Member
Sorry, no idea regarding comparisons but I should have a 6100w in a couple of weeks time and will be happy to take a few pics and take a look at the gaming lag for you.

I do know that regarding the split screen feature, this can only be used between different types of input so HDMI & Component, etc. You can't have two HDMI inputs running side by side.

Thanks Des crikey thats a balls, I liked idea of Split feature,
Thats definitely one ill double check on any buy I choose thanks for update.
And ya share away your thoughts on 6100w for all to see :)

At Moment its my favourite is Espon due to been good value
with its price and features and 5 HDMI Wireless and 3D glasses,
And if not up to scratch it might be good for 2-3 years as first projector.
And then find nice cheap 4K one in 2016 :)

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
If you're going to fly over, why not make arrangements with one of the forum advertisers? I know of 3 that stock the JVC and Sony models and would be able to demonstrate them. It just depends on which one is easier to get to. I doubt any of them would have a projector for you to take away on the day, but give them a call and see what they say.

At least you'll know that you've seen the alternatives side by side and then can make an educated decision on which one looks best to you. Just take note of their demo rooms as if your room is significantly different (ie the demo room is black and your room is light coloured) then the projector won't look as good at your home. Again you should discuss this with the dealer, there are alternatives such as different screens that can help (though black walls and ceiling is the very best solution).

The three dealers I can think of from the top of my head:

Ricky Jennings of Kalibrate near Caterham (South England)
Allan of IdealAV near Normanton (North England)
Rob Sinden of Gecko near Newbury (South England)

Last edited:

kevin2me

Standard Member
Thanks Kelvin, I probably wouldnt be able to Travel over to UK for many months but it would be great to have a Demo
but again trip uk for UK would consume 400euro min off my budget :)

Ill be replacing TV for projector and My room is std sitting room and never open curtains so dark enough.
But from above I'll expanding my search from the Espon 6100W, Pana PT6000 to include the Sonys and JVCs too.

Theres an irish company in Cork looking getting prices for Sony\JVCs for me, but wouldnt be surprised of crazy prices.
They usually only sell 5k-10k + projectors.

One thought, as im not Rich, Would second hand last gen Sony\JVC\Panasonic be good options
Projectors that original sold 2-4K but 1-2 yrs old, if bought of trusted forum member?
And if so any good places sell Projectors off member of likes here that upgrade yearly?

Thanks Kev

Goldenbone

I went for an ex-demo projector from the outgoing Epson range, and got it at a substantial discount ( tw9000w for £1800 instead of £2900)

Personally, warranty was the main thing for me. If you can get an outgoing model with the standard manufacturers warranty, you can land some decent bargains, I think.

SteveAtmos

I went for an ex-demo projector from the outgoing Epson range, and got it at a substantial discount ( tw9000w for £1800 instead of £2900)

Personally, warranty was the main thing for me. If you can get an outgoing model with the standard manufacturers warranty, you can land some decent bargains, I think.

Out if interest where did you get the demo projector from and did they give you the full 2 year warranty and 3year bulb warranty ?

kevin2me

Standard Member
tw9000w for £1800 instead of £2900)

Thanks Ya I might do the same, Its worth it for the price difference and quality Projector you might pick up.
I see you sold your JVC 350 for around 700 STG Kelvin,
I bet that was some Projector yet very cheap second and still top notch quality.
Plus as its first Projector, it gives me chance to learn do and donts and later 2 years try aim of a 4K PJ to replace it. Thanks for the Info All. I will keep an eye for ExDemos and Classified once time to purchase and might get lucky.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Yes, £700 including a spare lamp, so I'd hate to be the next person trying to sell one as everyone will expect the next to be cheaper still and so on. There is a Panasonic AE2000 in the classifieds, but at only £100 less than my HD350 went for it seems a bit expensive to me, though not sure if an offer might be accepted.

I had an AE2000 myself, then upgraded to the AE3000 then the HD350, so it's interesting to see that the £3000+ that upgrade path cost me with new projectors (minus resale) is now reduced to a (few?) hundred pounds.

kevin2me

Standard Member
I had an AE2000 myself, then upgraded to the AE3000 then the HD350, so it's interesting to see that the £3000+ that upgrade path cost me with new projectors (minus resale) is now reduced to a (few?) hundred pounds.

That was a Steal, lucky lad got your one, id say not many look after them as much as you Kelvin! Looked like ur pride and joy. But now new baby to mind,
New ones look stellar , im going to take your advice and look at all 4 Vendors now and keep researching bit longer... Shopping for PJ and learning is half the fun :)

kevin2me

Standard Member
But watching it is best bit...don't lose sight of that. ;)
haha Well thats for sure !!!

A Forum member here kinda pointed me to one place local shop that might have espon to demo, so its a start !!! and even better might be JVC demo in dublin :)

Cant wait till I have my own, been on dream list for years and nearly there
now :)

kevin2me

Standard Member
So long winded update for ye :) Thanks to all here.
These forums are invaluable resource and thanks to all those who help,
There’s great Info on here and great fun learning :) I Took ye advice and made effort to get a Demo.
At first I was thinking Panasonic 6000 or Espon EH

JVC x35
Anyways I drove 300km for a Demo in Dublin, another Member pointed me 50 yr old Shop that do high end projectors.
They mainly do JVCs and I know everyone here loves JVCs,
Demo Room was like a Std living room with automated Blinds, Kaleidoscope and 80 Fixed Beaded Screen.

The projector Demoed was the JVC X35 with 3D for 3200e. Now bearing in mind this was my first Demo,
I loved every second of it from Avengers BR to DiscoveryHD,
bright scenes were great but the Blacks were very disappointing to me.
It was very hard see textures of Black coat and such in dark scenes and this was calibrated PJ.
Would it be low lumens? I was surprised as reviews on here all point to the JVCs as class Leader.

Now on Plus side, at least I know know 100% im replacing TV with projector, Its fine in Living room environment.
Also I now have Idea of screen ill get 80 inch was large in this room but I’ll try go for 106inch 16:9 if possible,
I have 5 meters throw from where Screena nd where I sit\PJ will be.

Epson EH-TW9100W:
So After above Demo Im now thinking Epson 9100W is my leading Contender, 3350euros

After reading some great reviews, I particular like all of the following:
Contrast 320,000:1
Great blacks apparently​
THX Configured
Great as I don’t know if want to be calibrating for hours.​
Warranty
3 Years PJ + 3 Years lamp unlimited, plus next day onsite Epson and replacement if needed​
Lamp Cost +Life
Cheaper that rest, 5000 hrs​
Auto Lens Cover
Again save dust blobs and such​
Anamorphic Lens
I believe its included in espon, but manually swap 16:9 to 2:35:1​
Brightness 2400 Lumens
Seems be one of the Best out there, great for Living room​
Gaming Lag
9000 80ms, fixed now only 50ms, must confirm this?​
3D - Good reviews
Reviews good for 3D, any thoughts of good?​
3D - 2d to 3d conversion
May be useful.​
3D Glasses *2 and RF
Built in Emitter and 2 free Pairs, RF Synch better sonys ones, 20 hours battery time, then rechargable.​
Eco Noise 22
Quite on EcoMode, Loud otherwise?​
Great Lens Shift
Design works my room, might be able to go a little off center if needed for easier mounting​
Projector Color
9100W is White ... Id rather Black like 9100 has, but no biggy​
Split Screen
Limited to Component + HDMI, cant use 2 HDMI Signals but useful all the same.​
Wireless * 5 HDMI
Here’s why I love Idea of 9100W, I can use 5 HDMIs all 1080P Wirelessly, Awesome!!​
Also it does preview for each HDMI Source and picture in picture.​
Wireless receiver Optical out
Again 5 HDMI bring in Audio Signals and can output 1 optical to my Surround Sound Sony 1000w​
This might solve problem with Wii U as at present cant get Sound from AV from Wii U via HDMI without upgrade.​

I haven’t found maybe reviews on forums though, anyone vouch for Espon 9100W?
it seems to really suit my living room as TV replacement, vs say Sony\JVC where maybe better for Home theatre?
Im big in SKYHD Sports\Movies and use 3D and have 100’s BluRays &DVDs, plus PS3\360\WiiU

Biggest Con for 9100W is the price tag of over 3300euros,
its really stretching me to limits, Panasonic 2700e, espon 6100W 1730e.
I see some places offer Darbee free with it so thats cool :)

Should I still look around, would Espon 6100W still be option at half price and later upgrade if needed in 2 years?
Or still look to get demo of past 1st choice the Panasonic PT6000 or Sony HW50es demos?

ProjectorPoint were very help on tech call today too.
Although After Sales Warranty seems Espon more than Reseller.
Anyone else recommended to purchase from in UK? Im on Ireland Myself?
AllanIdealAV and QuantumAV look like decent choices.

Thanks Kev

Last edited:

keane16

Hi Kevin,

Glad to see you're nearly there....

I'm in Dublin and looking to get my first projector but can't find any places that do demos.

Where did you go to see some projectors in the flesh??

kevin2me

Standard Member
Hey You 10km away versus my 600km round trip, Ur lucky :) haha
Peats had few Optomas but closed Demo Room and will Order order Models if pay 1st.

But Best Place is CloneyAudio, lad there is absolute Gent and family run business for last 50years.
Ive I go JVC route id definitely go with them. Cloney Store: Cloney Store
Their Demo room was Top Notch, Keep in touch love to know how you get on and what u get :)
Let me know if find anything else, also RicherSounds Belfast are planning opening Demo room soon.

keane16

Cheers for that, I was planning on going to peats this weekend, their website only has old projectors on it so don't have high hopes.

I never heard of the other store so will give them a ring.

I don't have a hight budget so my options are limited. Looking at the Epson tw5910 and tw6100. Am afraid of the rainbow effect so am eliminating dlp unfortunately

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
If you're going to fly over, why not make arrangements with one of the forum advertisers? I know of 3 that stock the JVC and Sony models and would be able to demonstrate them. It just depends on which one is easier to get to. I doubt any of them would have a projector for you to take away on the day, but give them a call and see what they say.

just so you know Kelvin I do maintain/keep stock of all models at any time, only unless theirs been a stampede do I run out of stock

Allan :smashin:

kevin2me

Standard Member
Small Update, Ive pretty much decided on Epson 9100W, 2nd to Panasonic PT-AE6000.
It just ticks all the boxed and going with a fixed screen.

At present I have Sony 1000W AV thats not up to the job,
Its doesnt do HDMI Audio, just optical and no LPCM support, So whats good cheap alternative for 300-600.

I want Audio covered for SKY HD, Xbox 360, PS3 and its must it supports Wii U audio lpcm format.
Support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD is must too.
I see ONKYO NR414 BOSTON S 5.1 might be good choice and has own android remote app.

Id be happy for second hand or ex-demo options too.
Is 7.1 a must over 5.1, if so id like to look into that?

Thanks all, Kev

DjFranks

Novice Member
Hey Kev
Little bit late but I found your post eventualy :)
...just ordered mine last night ...finally! :) So Happy! I went for Panasonic AT 6000 ..1600 euro delivered (almost half price !) so feel free to come for demo on Friday..talk to you on Tue .

Adrian

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
Hey Kev
Little bit late but I found your post eventualy :)
...just ordered mine last night ...finally! :) So Happy! I went for Panasonic AT 6000 ..1600 euro delivered (almost half price !) so feel free to come for demo on Friday..talk to you on Tue .

Adrian

nice purchase - you will be blown away by the panasonic - i have had mine for 2 dayss and it is an amazing bit of kit

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom