Help please !! Damage to KEF IQ5 Tweeters

marksovereign

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, could do with a bit of informed help please. I had the joy of watching my 3 year old nephew poke his fingers into my 3 month old IQ5 Tweeters. Its only after he and his parents had gone that I noticed the Cones now have indentations on them. Firing them up doesnt seem to reveal any noticable aural blemishes - but Ive got a couple of dilemnas.
1. Do I say anything to my brother ?
2. What is the likelyhood of the speakers performance being drastically impaired ?
3. What sort of cost are new Tweeters?

Your comments would really be appreciated, My wife seems blase about what happened saying she cant hear any difference and if I have it out with my brother I'll come across as a materialistic grumpy old git !! I'm pretty cross at the moment as ive gone from having unblemished IQ5s an hour ago to having radically re-engineered cones and a rather unsympathetic spouse. :mad:

If it was me I would want it repaired,it's happened to me on B&W they were cheap and easy,I've looked at some Totems and they're a PITA,if you can do it yourself the parts are cheap,or get where you bought them to have a look,sometimes just having a look is exspensive.

Damaged tweeters will sound awful.

It will have to be replaced.

Divorce her, chin your bro, clout the kid, buy new units.

Never guess why my ex thought I was mad would ya! seriously though, these things happen. Just get them fixed (does your spouse have to know?). Kids are curious things and do poke around to see whats what, just keep the grills handy for future. Dont see any point in causing any family fuss over it.

Although I can understand how you feel.

p.s
(clout the kid)

Are you refering to the dust caps, if so a bit of low-tack tape and a steady hand will cure all. If it is dust caps, most would not be able to hear any difference in replay qualities,

Agreed. The dust cap on a bass driver will make no difference.

get a quote on getting them fixed.. and a quote on parts only .. its a fiddly job but if your handy with a soldering iron and have time then you will be fine.

id take it up with your bro he needs to be more watchful of his kids... shouldnt cost the earth to put right either.

marksovereign said:
Hi, could do with a bit of informed help please. I had the joy of watching my 3 year old nephew poke his fingers into my 3 month old IQ5 Tweeters. Its only after he and his parents had gone that I noticed the Cones now have indentations on them. Firing them up doesnt seem to reveal any noticable aural blemishes - but Ive got a couple of dilemnas.
1. Do I say anything to my brother ?
2. What is the likelyhood of the speakers performance being drastically impaired ?
3. What sort of cost are new Tweeters?

Your comments would really be appreciated, My wife seems blase about what happened saying she cant hear any difference and if I have it out with my brother I'll come across as a materialistic grumpy old git !! I'm pretty cross at the moment as ive gone from having unblemished IQ5s an hour ago to having radically re-engineered cones and a rather unsympathetic spouse. :mad:

May aswell say something to your bro, but not worth falling out over. I hear new Uni-Q units are £45 ish, and thats the whole thing including midbass.

Regardless what Helicons super hearing says :rolleyes: , you yourself have mentioned not hearinng a difference, i myself have damaged tweeters for 8 years on some Mordaunt shorts, and as they are still damaged, that reflects i can't hear a difference too..

However you can SEE a difference, and if you leave the grills off (which you must for it to have happened), then i would fix it for that alone, it's just the costs involved if your bro won't pay up..

Question i have is why you 'watched you 3 year old nephew' dent the speaker and not do anything?!

Bloody kids, they should all be shot!:D

If anyone has a dented or pierced metal dome tweeter and can't hear any difference whatsoever, i suggest some cotton buds. Honestly, the difference is huge. My hearings pretty average as far as i'm concerned, and i could hear it when it happened to me.

If you get used to it you won't notice it, but compare them to a new pair and it will stand out like breasts on a postbox :)

Well, surely having one good and one damaged is a constant comparison is it not? I seriously cannot tell the difference, I'm no audiophile (can't afford it) but I think i can tell when something sounds duff..

Pierced is entirely different IMO, a hole in a teeter is not the same thing, though i doubt i'd notice still if it was like pin sized.

I agree with Helicon any damage will effect the sound,it took me ages to get the Totem tweeter right and reset up,once it was taken apart.Definately change it....and your family:smashin:

My 2 year old boy figured out how to remove the grills off my Q3's, and pushed the tweeter domes in(both). Honestly I couldn't hear a difference in sound. So I velcroed the grills in place, waited a couple of years for him to be old enough to understand not to touch, went at a Kef dealer with my receipts and they warantied them. Gave me the tweeters for free (with a new 5 year warranty on them), and replaced them myself. If the iQ's are pretty much built the same, it's 3 allen screws, one phillips screw and two solders and another burn in session. Very simple.

Good luck,

Rikizzy.....if you couldn't hear the difference, why did you get the HF sorted out?

There is a plain and obvious difference after damage to a metal dome tweeter. I'm not being funny, but if someone can't hear the difference, maybe they've wasted their money on what they have purchased.

Clarky
watched from the other side of the room !! It reallly is a horrible sight you know whats going to happen but cant do anything about it !!!
:eek:

clarky78 said:
May aswell say something to your bro, but not worth falling out over. I hear new Uni-Q units are £45 ish, and thats the whole thing including midbass.

Regardless what Helicons super hearing says :rolleyes: , you yourself have mentioned not hearinng a difference, i myself have damaged tweeters for 8 years on some Mordaunt shorts, and as they are still damaged, that reflects i can't hear a difference too..

However you can SEE a difference, and if you leave the grills off (which you must for it to have happened), then i would fix it for that alone, it's just the costs involved if your bro won't pay up..

Question i have is why you 'watched you 3 year old nephew' dent the speaker and not do anything?!

Bloody kids, they should all be shot!:D

Next time, you can employ my missus for a couple of hours.
My one man wrecking crew grandson (2 and a half and I love him really) daren't go near my speakers.
He's sh*t scared of her, but funnily enough, thinks the world of her at the same time :rotfl: :smashin:

Helicon said:
Rikizzy.....if you couldn't hear the difference, why did you get the HF sorted out?

There is a plain and obvious difference after damage to a metal dome tweeter. I'm not being funny, but if someone can't hear the difference, maybe they've wasted their money on what they have purchased.

Honestly, it probably did a difference, but it wasn't obvious to a noobie like myself. You have to understand that it happenned within the first couple of weeks I owned them (probably not even fully burned in yet at the time), and they were my first real set I had even spent decent money on. I also had a buddy that bought the same HT setup, come and have a listen, he said if I hadn't told him the domes were pushed in (not ripped or pierced), he could not tell the difference. And he's been into HI-FI a lot longer than I have.
Although I probably got used to the sound, just knowing they were damaged, bugged the hell out of me. When the new iQ line came out, it was my cue to have them repaired.

clarky78: I can't believe they warrantied damaged speakers!

Well, I don't know about Kef, but the store did. Initially they wanted to charge me about $136.00cdn plus tax each (68.55 GBP). But I mentionned that the speakers were less than 2 years old and asked if there was anything they could do. They said that they were warrantied for 5 years and that it would be no problem if I could show receipts. And I did not even buy the speakers from them.
The kicker is also, I saw the price for the Q-Compact tweeter, which was about half the price, but the same part number. But when I got them for free, I didn't question it.

Hi there.Thank you for the info you have posted.I have a simalar speaker which is the kef iq5.The tweeters are not producing high frequencied anymore.Where could I find a dealer who could sort this out for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom