Help please! Connecting AV to Stereo amp

bfmcosta

Standard Member
Hi All,

I own a Creek Destiny integrated amplifier, and have just purchased an Yamaha RX-A2010 AV amplifier for home cinema. I want to to use the Destiny to drive my 2 front channels, so I tried to do what is instructed in the Yamaha and Creek manuals.

First, I connected the Yamaha front channels pre-outs via RCA cables to the Destiny Power Amp In sockets, and then I press the appropriate recessed switch with a matchstick to separate the pre-amp and power-amp (a step necessary in the first generation of the Creek Destiny Amp). However, this results in a problem: even though I can hear sound from the front channels, I also hear a significant amount of background noise ("buzz") from the speakers. This is mostly noticed when using lower volumes.

Having observed this problem, I tried another approach. I simply connected the Yamaha front channels pre-outs via RCA cables to the AV input on the pre-amp section of the Destiny, and rejoined the pre and power sections with the matchstick. In this case, I am able to have sound in the front channels from the Yamaha source if I increase significantly the volume knob in the Destiny (which I assume is expected, since the volume is simply working as a "resistance" device), but again I hear a significant noise ("buzz").

Finally, both situations are even more frustrating because I just noticed that if I play my stereo CD player (CD player connected to Musical Fidelity M1 DAC connected to the CD input on the Destiny), I also hear the noise (even if I am not playing the AV source, but simply a stereo source). If I simply disconnect the RCA cables that connect the Yamaha pre-outs to the Destiny (either connected to the Power Amp In or to the AV input), the noise disappears. So, it appears that the simple connection of the RCA cables from the Yamaha pre-outs to the Creek Destiny always result in noise, regardless of the source that is playing through the Destiny. This is quite disappointing as I have to disconnect the connections Yamaha-Destiny if I want to hear some music or any other input. :(

I will conclude simply emphasizing that I have tested 2 different Yamaha AV amplifiers (my new RX-A2010 and an older Yamaha RX-V2700), and several different RCA cables to connect the Yamahas to the Destiny.

Can anyone please assist me in this problem?

Thank you so much,

Bruno Costa

bfmcosta

Standard Member
As an update of all my frustrating problem, I have found that this problem only occurs when my media centre Popcorn Hour A210 is connected to the Yamaha amplifier. All other sources (Sony S790 Blu-Ray, cable Box) work perfectly well, as long as I disconnect the HDMI cable that connects the Popcorn to the Yamaha.

Any thoughts?

I emphasize also that when the Popcorn is starting from OFF, I can hear the normal sound of the hard drive rotating (it is a 500GB, 5400rpm hard drive), which is normal, but these sounds of the drive rotating are also reproduced from the 2 front Speakers!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sounds as though you've a grounding issue somewhere along the line? The most obvious suspect as this point is the Popcorn hour. Try using the same wall outlet to power the Popcorn Hour as that with which you are powering the amp with, either directly or via a multi gang.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You may need a ground loop isolator between the Yamaha and the Creek, as the Popcorn is trying to dump power supply noise down the audio earth.

Expect to pay a few hundred for a decent one. As a proof of concept, try a £15 one from Halfords. These are sold for car stereos, so would not be acceptable in your hifi, but will prove if an isolator will solve the problem.

Please do not try things like removing the earth on the amp, because although this may solve the problem, it could leave your system lethal...

bfmcosta

Standard Member
Sounds as though you've a grounding issue somewhere along the line? The most obvious suspect as this point is the Popcorn hour. Try using the same wall outlet to power the Popcorn Hour as that with which you are powering the amp with, either directly or via a multi gang.

Tried that, no luck :mad:

bfmcosta

Standard Member
You may need a ground loop isolator between the Yamaha and the Creek, as the Popcorn is trying to dump power supply noise down the audio earth.

Expect to pay a few hundred for a decent one. As a proof of concept, try a £15 one from Halfords. These are sold for car stereos, so would not be acceptable in your hifi, but will prove if an isolator will solve the problem.

Please do not try things like removing the earth on the amp, because although this may solve the problem, it could leave your system lethal...

Thank you very much! I will try to find that, hopefully they ship top Portugal(?). Is the "installation" of that isolator simple? Unfortunately, I am totally ignorant concerning electronics/electricity...
Thank you so much!

bfmcosta

Standard Member
OK, from what I can see/read, the installation should be quite simple. I guess I would put the isolator between the Yamaha and Creek RCA´s, right? I am considering this one from amazon to "diagnose" the situation: Skytronic Ground Loop Isolator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If this seems to work, do you recommend any "audiophile-grade" ground loop isolator? Does anyone know if the Xitel is a good one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xitel-GLI1-...2ZUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351979013&sr=8-1

Thanks much!

bfmcosta

Standard Member
Thank you so much, I will seriously consider that option!

Finally, in a Portuguese AV forum I was suggested just to bi-amp my front speakers (Proac Response D15) with the Yamaha for movies, and have another set of speaker cables from the Creek Destiny amp for Stereo music. Would anyone favor this solution instead of using the solution I am currently planning (i.e., Proac front speakers fed by the Creek Destiny, meaning I would have to include the ground loop isolator between the Yamaha and the Creek)???

bfmcosta

Standard Member
Thank you so much, I will seriously consider that option!

Finally, in a Portuguese AV forum I was suggested just to bi-amp my front speakers (Proac Response D15) with the Yamaha for movies, and have another set of speaker cables from the Creek Destiny amp for Stereo music. Would anyone favor this solution instead of using the solution I am currently planning (i.e., Proac front speakers fed by the Creek Destiny, meaning I would have to include the ground loop isolator between the Yamaha and the Creek)???

Any thoughts on this? Would anyone prefer to "bi-amp" the Proac speakers from the Yamaha RX-A2010 as opposed to use the Yamaha Pre-outs to the Creek Destiny stereo amplified to feed the Proac's? Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom