• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help please, connecting audio from Sky+, Sky engineer not much help

Dodgyknee

Standard Member
All,

My first post and as a newbie I hope 1) I've posted this in correct place and 2) you understand my question.

I've just upgraded from Sky to Sky HD and the engineer who installed it couldn't get the audio to play through my DVD Home Theatre System. He said I need to get either an optical audio lead or a red and white stereo audio lead and either connect the Sky HD+ digibox to the Home Theatre System or to the TV, or connect TV to Home Theatre System but he couldn't remember which way round - so not too helpful really.

My set-up is as follows:
- Sky HD+ box

- LG Plasma TV 50PS3000, (spec here http://www.lge.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-50PS3000.jsp)

- Sony DVD Home Theatre System DAV-DZ111, (spec here http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-surround-kit---dvd-player/dav-dz111#pageType=TechnicalSpecs)

The Sky box is connected to the TV by HDMI and the Home Theatre System is connected to the TV by SCART.

My problem is that I cannot get sound from the sky box through my Home Theatre System it only comes out of the TV.

My old normal sky set up worked OK, I had sky connected to TV via SCART and TV to Home Theatre system via a second SCART. I had my TV audio set up to off and controlled all audio output through the Home Theatre System.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or advice to help me get my new set-up working in a similar way.

Thank you.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If the TV settings are the same, it looks like the TV can't output audio over SCART from an HDMI input. Therefore I would just connect either an analogue RCA phono (red/white) audio cable from the Sky+HD box or use SCART. Sky boxes output audio and video over all connections concurrently. Your h/c system doesn't have optical input, so you won't get DD5.1 but you should get a pseudo effect mixed from the stereo input over analogue or SCART.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom