Answered Help Please - Complete novice Female (59!)

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by sallyjolli, Aug 12, 2018.

1. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry to get so basic, but I quite fancy getting a VR Headset - I don't game but have heard that you can look around the bottom of the ocean or 'walk through' a European city.
    The only kit I have is a PC, MAC, a TV and iphone. Can you suggest a basic headset for this purpose, if I can use it with one of these and how I go about this and what else I need? Any help gratefully received. Thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #18 by sallyjolli, Aug 18, 2018 (1 points)
  3. peterloef

peterloef
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sally,

Yes, VR is awesome! :) What kind of headset would be best for you, depends on how powerful your pc is. The headsets you can do the most with at the moment (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headsets) require pretty high spec pc's. We're talking a GTX 970 or better, GTX 1060 or better graphics card, and a high end Intel Core i5 or better, no older than about two, maybe three years. So what are the specs on your pc?

You can also put an iPhone in a viewer type of headset. This doesn't provide anywhere near the experience the above mentioned headsets do, but it gives an idea of what VR is like. You would need a relatively new iPhone for a smooth experience though. If your pc isn't powerful enough, this could be an option of course.

Macs can't do VR at all at the moment. Well, maybe in a virtual machine, if you could pass through the video card, but I believe that's not that simple. Let's just say your Mac can't do VR at the moment. And a tv doesn't help either I'm afraid.

So, what are the specs on your pc?

4. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response, very helpful - I bet my PC isn't up to the job. Have tried to find spec... does the following mean anything to you?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DW702

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model HP Compaq dx2420 Microtower

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2500 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.18, 20/02/2009

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.99 GB

Available Physical Memory 966 MB

Total Virtual Memory 12.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.00 GB

Page File Space 9.77 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

or let me know what else you need ? Thanks

5. peterloef

peterloef
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sally,

No, there is no way that pc is going to work with a modern VR headset. That is one old machine! So if you want to use one of the high end VR headsets, you're looking at a minimum investment of 2000 dollars in a new pc and a headset.

If that is not a price you're looking to pay, you could try using your iPhone with a viewer, as I mentioned above. Which iPhone do you have?

6. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Peter,

Yes I thought so! Well my iphone is 6S and I suspect that's not good either?!

Thanks for your help!

7. peterloef

peterloef
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sally,

You should be able to try some VR on an iPhone 6s, that's not too bad! A viewer for an iPhone wouldn't cost very much, we're talking tens of dollars here. I've never done VR on an iPhone myself though, so I don't know how the setup for that would work. But maybe someone else on the forum can shed some light on that. I'm sure it's just a matter of downloading an app once you have a viewer. I'll add a couple of links to articles that talk about viewers for iPhones. One's an older one, and the other is more recent and also has prices:

Best VR Headsets for iPhone 6/6s Plus for Awesome 3D Experience
    The best VR headsets for iPhone users

This kind of setup can give you an idea of what VR is like, but it's nowhere near the experience you'd have with the higher end headsets. But at a fraction of the price it's still very interesting!

You're welcome!

8. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you very much, that's all very helpful. Appreciate it.

9. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,622
    At least with a cheap VR phone viewer is its easy and cable free. I've just changed my TV cabinet and dusted off my Playstation VR. Man alive cabling this thing is enough to put you off the whole experience. Not sure what its like for PC VR.

The other option is the Oculus Go. Its a standalone unit (ie it's built in one unit, no phone or PC required). If all you want is a VR "experience" I hear its great.

There are loads, of non gaming type media stuff etc. The best games are the basic ones. as you just a one little controller so full on gaming is not going to happen on the unit.

I dont have one, but it looks really good for what it does. The screens/lenses are very good for the money and it has reasonable built in speakers so you have to be completely shut off from the world.

It's £200, but seems to be worth it as the long as the support continues for it.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-S...UTF8&qid=1534108602&sr=8-1&keywords=oculus+go

10. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,949
    Right now I would say you are the perfect target demographic for an oculus go. It's cheap (£200) and is actually far better suited to the experiences you mentioned rather than just games (though it has some games too). It is what I would buy if I were in your shoes.

Lol ninja'd by 1 min

11. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,622
    :laugh: Sorry!

But yeah this seem perfect for the OP. I'm quite tempted myself. This for media VR and the PSVR for games (even then it's loosing it's appeal)

12. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It sounds like the Oculus Go will be perfect for you. It's only $199/£199 And you don't need a phone to use it because it's a standalone headset with mobile phone components inside. It also comes with a controller.

The battery life isn't great but you can either use it whilst it's charging or get a battery pack for it.

There's PLENTY more software available for it than anything from Apple because it's binary compatible with the GearVR so developers can just copy the games, apps and experiences that they have already developed from the GearVR Store, chance the splash screens and Submit it to the Oculus Go Store without a problem.

So basically you don't have to drain your iPhone battery and mess around with putting it in and taking it out of the VR headset enclosure, you have more software to play with and the display and lenses will be MUCH better than a cheap VR headset enclosure for your iPhone.

The only problem with the Oculus Go, as I've already mentioned, is the battery life but you'll have exactly the same problem with your iPhone and you have the option of getting a battery pack to solve that minor problem.

I recommend you get an Oculus Go. I haven't got one myself but I've heard it's worth getting one for the Netflix app alone.

13. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,622
    TBF the battery lasts 2hrs for games and 2.5 hrs for video and I've pretty much had enough VR by that time.

14. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well that's it then! I've just bought myself an Oculus Go from Amazon, it'll come tomorrow so can't wait. My mother is staying with me at the moment (88 years) so I'm going to get her in the ocean or on a rollercoaster!
    Thanks all.

15. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,949
    I suggest you set your account up on the oculus forums and find out in advance some of the recommended apps so you are ready to go. i think there is a fair amount of free stuff.

ps 88 years.... just go easy on her at 1st
    VR sickness is a thing you have to ease yourself in... short stints and if you feel woozy at all have a break, never ever try to push through..

and again, esp with your mum.... go easy on the material. things in VR are far more intense than not in VR. for instance on my rift i have played a videogame called alien isolation.

it is based around the film alien, and honestly it is terrifying, and had me jumping out of my skin. I truly think it is only a matter of time before someone has a heart attack in VR.

for instance.. i *think* ocean rift works on the go. (check 1st) ... if it does it is possibly right up your street... however for your mum i would turn off the megalodon shark attack as it can be pretty scary!.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  16. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,622
    Heh heh yeah they aint joking when they say it can make you jump. Resident Evil and Rush of Blood are not for the easily scared.

Of course these are not games an 88yo will be playing, but the nausea can be very real. You really can feel like you falling off a cliff or your stomach lurching on a roller coaster.

So yeah good advise by @MikeKay1976. Sign up and look at the games first. Easy does it. It's one thing for a young gamer to try, let alone an OAP.

17. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Blimey! Thanks guys, you're looking after my mother more than me! She does have issues going down an escalator, so maybe I won't let her play with my new toy (and that's if I can handle it!). Appreciate your warnings - thanks although blood and aliens I shall leave be!

18. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Has it turned up yet? Very keen to hear your impressions :)

19. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Best Answer
    Hi Bilbo
    Yes I got it the very next day via Amazon. I LOVE it!! Even my Mum loved it, although for all her ooing and aahing all she was looking at was a static 360 picture of under the sea which is in essence the desktop image! I have not experienced VR at all and so I can't compare to any other. But for my interest it most certainly has exceeded my expectations. I have been to Athens and had a look around, I'm fishing, I'm shooting dead people coming at me, I'm flying through space learning about planets, the underwater experiences are fascinating, I've watched a live band, I've almost sat on Obama's lap while having a tour around The Whitehouse, my sister (61) screamed like a big girl going on a rollercoaster (I can't do that yet, makes me feel a tad sick) and I've visited an Archaeological dig in Egypt to name but a few experiences. So, yes it's a great hit and as I get more au fait with the menus and where to find things there'll be even more to explore, it's the gift that keeps on giving and so it's a huge thumbs up from me and I appreciated everyone's input on this forum. So thanks everybod!

20. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Well done Sally. Really pleased for you (and your mum) :smashin:. VR is one of those things that you can hear about, or read about, even watch other folk experiencing it on YouTube etc. But nothing actually prepares you for the moment you first don the headset and see for yourself. I’ve got an Oculus, but my first sample was the Samsung Gear. I remember playing a game that put me near the edge of a cliff, and I literally hung onto the back of the armchair because I could not override my brains will to survive. Keep on clocking up the experiences :clap:

21. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :D

I'd love more live band stuff, although how long I could stand to have that thing clapped on my face might be the issue!

22. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Yeah. Although most of the groups I enjoy either packed it in or died years ago, lol. Not too much contemporary stuff I could sit through, with or without a toaster welded to my eyes :laugh:

23. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well that's true but there are some great tribute bands which keep the old stuff alive and are really quite tight - so I wouldn't mind that and probably wouldn't command the same high fees.

24. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,622
    Glad your enjoying it @sallyjolli, especially after all our recommendations for it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Yes, I’m much in agreement there. I could stand a bit of Dizzy Lizzy ( Thin Lizzy tribute). I really meant to try it for the BBC World Cup coverage. They were boasting a VR broadcast, but I just never got around to it. Curious as to how well it worked.

26. sallyjolli

sallyjolli
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are a couple of football things on there, my husband was looking through them and also said this was the future and enjoyed the different camera angles - sidelines and next to the net! But the odd games that are on there are last year and held in the States - I expect it's well tied up with licenses etc (money!). Also, I don't think he could comfortably watch a whole game with it attached to his face as it's difficult to drink his pint at the same time (may have to switch to a bottle).

27. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Haha. Yep, certainly helps keep one sober!

28. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,949
    It is fantastic isn't it and for some people dare I go so far as to say life changing . All that stuff you have done, just think how freeing that will be for people with ill health etc... I imagine it will work able some to free the confines of their bed etc.
    I am a full on VR fanboy and have been since the early 90s and I know a few have demonstrated mine to have thought it cool but that was it.... However those who get the bug like I did and it seems like you have too imo proves just how big a deal VR is .
    In schools even. Capture a kids imagination and you are half way there and in a history lessen if they can SEE the Roman public baths, or the Apollo moon landing or the marsrover, or volcanic eruptions then I can imagine it could be a game changer for education too.
    I am so pleased you are not disappointed esp as you said you are not a gamer... So shows VR is already breaking the stereotype (happy to notice even you could not resist a few games too however ;) )

29. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm still wowed by VR 18 months later lol

I'm stuck in hospital at the moment and have been since Friday. They've now put a metal rod in my broken leg and I probably won't be back home until Tuesday or Wednesday. Next up is a plaster cast that I can put weight on, probably tomorrow.

I REALLY miss VR at the moment. Need to get back to Hellblade!!!

30. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,949
    Dont you have an oculus go? seems perfect for when stuck in bed. get well soon!.

31. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Nope, just a Rift. A Go would be handy but can't afford it. Plus when I get home I'll be using my Rift anyway.