Help please - choice of sub...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Keithst, May 1, 2007.

1. Keithst

Keithst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Sorry for another 'what sub' thread....

I'm in the process of choosing a new system that needs WAF in order to go in a new house - to fit a 24' by 12' lounge.

We've agreed on MA radius speakers (225 fronts and centre, 45 rears) and probably a Sony 5200es amp. Was planning to go for an SVS PB12+ as the sub but this has been veto'd by the wife as 'too huge'.
    Have been recommended the REL quake by Sevenoaks but this looks a little wimpy to me.

Can anyone give advice - need a good sounding sub with WAF, preferably downward firing for kid proofing and up to about £800.

Any offers??

Cheers,
    Keith

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    Stick with SVS and get the SB12+ seems to get enough votes, is a lot smaller but admittedly isn't downfiring....

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    tell the wife she can use the PB12+ as a coffee table (seriously, you can put stuff on it....i'd be careful putting fine china on it, but magazines, etc are fine)

the finishes are very nice too.....

in a room that size it shouldnt stand out too badly....

otherwise, if you want downward firing and relatively compact, consider REL's Strata 5 or if on offer a Storm 5.......not the most massive output, but for their footprint they give a fair bit of rumble, are quite nice looking, remote controlled to with a lockable front knob so stop kids changing settings....they are being phased out and replaced with another lineup so you'd have to hurry to get one....

unfortunately the only other down firing subs are big beasts from what i remember.....possibly someone else might have an idea of others...