• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help please - cheap bathroom inc. installation

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
I probably ought to join a bargain forum and ask this there instead, but I really appreciate your opinions on here, so thought I'd ask :smashin:

I'm currently looking at replacing 2 x bathrooms in my parents house, one en-suite (shower, WC, sink), and the other being a normal bathroom (bath, WC, sink) - both are upstairs, and actually back onto each-other. I assume it makes sense to have them done at the same time?

Problem is, I have no confidence in traders. Every household job that dad's got someone in to do, we've ended up shafted for. Admittedly he's probably not a great judge of character - part of the reason I want to get involved, and make sure it's done right without him being taken advantage of.

So, I'm looking for a cheap, reputable (is that possible!?) company where I can buy the above, and get them all plumbed in, as cheaply as possible, without being shafted ( :) )

Ideas of prices would be much appreciated because I have no idea of what kind of labour costs this kind of work would entail.

Don't mind if it's a 'big' name, or someone less well known.

If it makes any odds, the house is in Spalding, Lincs (as per forum profile :))

Ta :)

Last edited:

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
If you want to avoid rogue traders, this might be the wrong attitude to take.

You get what you pay for.

Yes, and I admit that (in some cases).

Fact is though, that I can't get credit (many thanks to the d**kheads who used my details to set up multiple catalogue shopping accounts e.t.c. in my name).

I have currently got £3500 saved up - I've no idea in the grand scheme of things, how 'adequate' that is. I'd appreciate some pointers - like I said, I've no idea of the labour costs e.t.c. involved.

Normally I'd agree with your 'get what you pay for', but coming from an AV background, I appreciate that quite often, prices are inflated based on marketing crap, inflated labour costs and effectively abusing the good nature of buyers. That, and the fact the old man has paid very good money to many local traders and been left in crap, whereas a local lad earning a few honest quid would have done a far better job at half the price.

'Yes, this £100000 power cable will sound remarkably better than this £100 cable. More 'warmth', 'tonality', 'PRAT', 'musicality', 'space', 'depth'', e.t.c. - been there, fallen for that.

A £5000 product is not necessarily 2x better than a £2500 product.

Cheers for the advice though.

Last edited:

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
I think you need to separate this job into several parts

1) The costs of the materials - find a few catalogues and decide what you want and look up the price.

2) The price to take the old stuff out.

3) The price to put new stuff in (getting the shower tray level etc)

4) The price to plumb in the new stuff. (connect up the new taps and waster etc)

5) The price to make good.

Per bathroom I'd guestimate:

1) £300 for the basic suite minimum + taps and showers etc.

2) Days labour + skip say £250

3) 2 Days Labbour say £300

4) 1 Days Labour say £200 (depends on how like the old the new is - the more changes, the more expensive it will be).

5) Depends on how much tiling, new flooring, painting etc you need doing.

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
I think you need to separate this job into several parts

1) The costs of the materials - find a few catalogues and decide what you want and look up the price.

2) The price to take the old stuff out.

3) The price to put new stuff in (getting the shower tray level etc)

4) The price to plumb in the new stuff. (connect up the new taps and waster etc)

5) The price to make good.

Per bathroom I'd guestimate:

1) £300 for the basic suite minimum + taps and showers etc.

2) Days labour + skip say £250

3) 2 Days Labbour say £300

4) 1 Days Labour say £200 (depends on how like the old the new is - the more changes, the more expensive it will be).

5) Depends on how much tiling, new flooring, painting etc you need doing.

Seriously big thanks for that, will have a good working out of all that.

So do you think it would work out better to source all the components, and then find a reputable tradesman to come in and do the work, instead of trying to find an all in one service? :)

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
Seriously big thanks for that, will have a good working out of all that.

So do you think it would work out better to source all the components, and then find a reputable tradesman to come in and do the work, instead of trying to find an all in one service? :)

tbh - I don't know - as I'd DIY it.

In your position I'd get several quotes, and be very detailed in what you want done. Make sure they give seperate prices for labour and materials. If they won't quote to your choice of materials, ask them why, and get details of what the are offering, including part numbers and check out the prices your self.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Can you check out B&Q prices? I think they do installations and if there are issues you have a big company to help get it sorted.

Billo

Established Member
Check out
ratedpeople.com
I t will not hurt to get an estimate or two, and they may have ideas about savings that could be made such as keeping the existing pipework, minimising the damage when taking fixings out, or even just updating the taps if things are not that bad

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
We managed to gets ours done cheaply, bought a white mid-range suite form B&Q, and a friend at works husband installed it, it cost me about 800 all in (bath/sink/toilet/tiles), but its helps if you know someone.

russ123

Established Member
I've used Bathrooms | Showers | Baths | Bathroom Suites | Shower Enclosures | Taps | UK before and pleased with what I got. They are just a source for the fittings though so you'd need to sort a fitter separately.

Also it may sound obvious but what will add to the cost greatly is if you start redesigning the room and moving objects about. If you are just replumbing in new fittings in similar positions it becomes a lot easier.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
So, I'm looking for a cheap, reputable (is that possible!?) company where I can buy the above, and get them all plumbed in, as cheaply as possible, without being shafted

Therein, lies the problem. I'm not saying that there are some good low-priced traders out there, but everytime I see someone who has gone for the cheap option they have ended up regretting it and paying out more in the long term.

Cheers,

Nigel

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
As you probably know the key to all of this if finding someone reliable who you can trust. In the building trade, that can be a challenge. And when you do find them, they are often not the cheapest.

Referrals from friends is often a good option. I personally don't mind paying more if I have seen their work beforehand, or had a glowing recommendation from someone I trust.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom