Help Please :) Broken Screen On Nokia N80

L

LazyBstrd

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could help. I got an N80 the other day and it worked fine although it had low battery. I left it on charge for a few hours. When I turned it on, the screen was white, then gradually faded to black, with faint grey strips in the middle. The sound works on it when i press the keys, just no picture.

thanks for any help :)

ram33

most likley it needs a new ribbon but could need a reflash
if its under 2 years old then it will be covered under nokia warrenty

L

LazyBstrd

Thanks for helping. I dunno whether to just take it to a shop, or attempt to repair it myself. Also, my dad's mate is selling an N95 for £250. Should I take it or not, because I know that the 8GB N95 is coming out soon and I really want an iPhone after having a go, even if technically it isn't as good. What do you think? N95, 8GB N95 or 2nd/3rd Gen iPhone? Thanks :)

I've got an N95 (after my N80 became two seperate halves :rolleyes: ) and I'd say go for that

There's no point waiting for the 8gb version coz it'll be mighty expensive for almost no improvement over the current version

IMHO the iPhone is a gimmicky toy, after a Symbian smartphone i'm fairly certain you'll be disappointed with it

Or you could try getting it repaired, like I said mine fell into two bits as the ribbon cable snapped, £5 screwdriver (T6) and a £3.50 ribbon sorted it and it now belongs to my girlfriend :smashin:

L

LazyBstrd

Yeah, what the hell, I reckon I'll have a go at fixing it :) If it breaks, I'll buy the N95. Thanks for the help :D

ram33

i would let nokia fix it free under warrenty as the warrenty will be invalid soon as you open it yourself (although it isnt to hard to fix if youve done a few phones)
there has been a few problems with the n95 and they are still working on some fixes. ive seen them go for a bit less than £250 now

L

LazyBstrd

I'm going to town today anyway, so I'm gonna take it to Carphone Warehouse or something and see how much it costs to fix. Thanks for the help - appreciated :thumbsup:

reddux

Standard Member
Is your N80 2nd hand or has the screen ever been cracked previously?

I accidently dropped mine and the screen broke, have had it to CPW to fix it twice including replacing the ribbon the 2nd time round, worked fine for a few days but I'm getting the fading screen display. Standard Repair cost there for phone's in warranty is £45.

It's supposed to be a weak point on this phone once you've opened the phone and touched the screen/ribbon. It seems to be an issue with either the ribbon connection or pressure between the front and back of the actual screen?

I'm going to take it back again but CPW can keep your phone for upto 3 weeks, I think, before either returning it to you or sending it back to the manufacture for them to look at the warranty issues if they can't fix it. I am waiting to possibly get a cheap K810i that I can use while waiting, am due a contract upgrade but would be happy keeping my N80 for another year if I can get it fixed properly, saving money with a SIM only contract.

I'd say a N95 isn't worth £250 to "upgrade", the screen isn't as good as the N80's (when working ;) )

Is your N80 2nd hand or has the screen ever been cracked previously?

I accidently dropped mine and the screen broke, have had it to CPW to fix it twice including replacing the ribbon the 2nd time round, worked fine for a few days but I'm getting the fading screen display. Standard Repair cost there for phone's in warranty is £45.

It's supposed to be a weak point on this phone once you've opened the phone and touched the screen/ribbon. It seems to be an issue with either the ribbon connection or pressure between the front and back of the actual screen?

I'm going to take it back again but CPW can keep your phone for upto 3 weeks, I think, before either returning it to you or sending it back to the manufacture for them to look at the warranty issues if they can't fix it. I am waiting to possibly get a cheap K810i that I can use while waiting, am due a contract upgrade but would be happy keeping my N80 for another year if I can get it fixed properly, saving money with a SIM only contract.

I'd say a N95 isn't worth £250 to "upgrade", the screen isn't as good as the N80's (when working ;) )

by that reckoning, I'm a better phone engineer than the carphone warehouse monkeys. I've replaced the ribbon in my N80 in 10minutes, if its the right ribbon the right way round it fits perfectly and snug to the connectors with no chance of falling off, nothing to do with pressure on the screen.

send it to me i'll do it for a tenner :D

I'm going to town today anyway, so I'm gonna take it to Carphone Warehouse or something and see how much it costs to fix. Thanks for the help - appreciated :thumbsup:

how'd it go? they fix it properly?

L

LazyBstrd

Yeah, it was the screen, not the ribbon. It cost £45 to replace, which I think was worth it. Thanks for helpin :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom