1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, please! amps and speakers for a beginner

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dvdforum, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dvdforum

dvdforum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I bother you guys for some advice in relation to amps and speakers. Have done a fair bit of research and to be honest my head is wrecked. Happy enough with the DVD player(JVCXV-S42), might upgrade later but it is ok for the moment, and the tv is a sony kv 32ls60.

I am interested in getting a surround sound system up and running but don't know where to start. Have decided not to go down the road of the all in one due to the lack of RGB and the fact that it is difficult to upgrade. Am a correct in stating that no AIO has RGB?

The room where the TV is peculiarly set up, due to the fact that the TV is in one of the far corners. All magazines etc have diagrams of set ups but none have the TV in a corner, we have to have the tv in the corner or it would be too close to the fireplace or radiators. Will this cause problems?

The plan is to purchase a set of speakers and an AV reciever. The room is approx 4-5m x 8-10m. Budget is around €1000 (around £640 sterling) inc cabling. Would like to be able to experience dts. To be honest don't know where to start. Mission FS2AV(APP £380) sound like decent speakers and Denon and Marantz seem to have decent amps but what amp could I get for approx £300.

Might sound like a bit of a goon for saying this but really like the picture you get from rgb with a scart do you have to drop this when using an amp?
    Someone please help!!

All input is appreciated
    cheers

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lets start at the bottom of your message: if I understand you correctly, you are worried about losing RGB when you add an amp to your existing setup? No you won't, just continue using your RGB scart straight to your telly. You "may" lose it if you go down the road of using the amp for video switching. Not neccessary in your case as you have only DVD player. If you had VCR, Satellite, DVD, etc together and only had one scart socket in telly, you would need to use switching. you're ok/better without it.

As for an amp, there are plenty of great amps in your budget. See new Yamaha DSP630, marantz 4200 or Denon 1602. All have good sound, lots of features and are great for upgrading other bits later too.
    Regarding your room shape, I had a similar problem with the telly in the corner of my old place. I just put the front floorstander speakers on either side where they could only go (not exactly same distance on left to right) and then toed them in to give me a good soundstage at my seating position on the sofa. However the missus had a less good listening position on her end of the sofa - unlucky honey, I paid for it and I watch more, etc, etc.

(That's enough sexism for one post...)

As for speakers, yesterday I rather rudely "dissed" the FS2's, but was quickly stopped by many happy owners who love their's for films and music. Personal preference and all. Still as they can be wall-mounted you should more easily overcome the fact that your TV goes in the corner and be able to set up a better soundstage with small satellites and a sub.

Hope that helps. If there is anymore you want to know, ask away. Cheers.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just put my Yamaha DSPAX620 up for sale in the classifieds of this forum. Might be just what you are looking for......