Help please! alot of cabling advice needed

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gribsy1, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gribsy1

gribsy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, hoping someone can help, basically im getting an onkyo 876 and i need to know what cables i need to hook everything to it, ive got decks, tv, and a pc and i want them all to play through the amp, i understand the amp will make the tv 1080p but what cables do i need to achieve this and make the tv sound come through the amp to the speakers for films ect? also i want to use the tv as the pc monitor so what cable do i need for that? i assume i just need a phono lead to connect the decks to the amp? but what do i need to connect the pc to the amp too? basicaly im trying to make everything play through the amp but i have to get all the cabling in under the floor before its boarded so ive gotta make sure i get it right lol
    Would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out :) and try and get my head around this lol also where is a good place/site to get all the cabling i need and speaker cable?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You gave us the amp's model number but without the other makes/model numbers etc. no-one will be able to answer fully. There is a lengthy owners thread on the Onkyo 876, so I would suggest popping in there, having a read and doing a search.

Your TV will require an audio connection to output surround via the amp/speakers. This is usually a pair of analogue phonos (red/white) or optical (also known as toslink). They will be marked up as "Audio Out" or have a circle with an arrow pointing outwards nearby. On rare occasions (I think on some Philips TV's) you might find the digital audio output is via digi-coax. My bet would be optical or phono though.

The PC to TV connection will depend on the available connections on both the graphics card/motherboard and the TV. This is usually in the form of VGA or DVI/HDMI. Again, check the back of the TV and look for a PC input. If it doesn't have one, it will likely have a HDMI input if it is 'HD Ready'. If your graphics card is an older model, I would consider an upgrade to a DVI or HDMI model but check the PC graphics card forum for suggestions as I don't keep up with GPU technology unless I'm building a PC. At the very least I would ensure it is HDCP compliant. To summarise, it will be a VGA or DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI cable that you need.

The PC to Amp connection will either be digital (spdif) which will either be an orange phono (digi-coax) connection or optical (toslink) connection. Your sound card/motherboard may have analogue outputs that would require 3x3.5mm to phono leads, utilising the PC software to decode and output as multi-channel analogue audio. Check the PC soundcards forum if you're unsure.

Cable wise, see the powerbuy above. VDC make good quality speaker cable and it's cheap. I'm just in the process of re-wiring my livingroom setup and settled for some 2.5mm VDC hifi cable. For optical and digi-coax see audiovisualonline.co.uk for Fisual Pro optical and Profigold for a digi-coax cable. If you need 3x3.5mm to phono cables, cheap ones will do.