1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please-absolute beginner

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cvickery, Jul 7, 2002.

1. cvickery

cvickery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My son is due to start an AS level in Film & Video in September. We've never owned one before but now need to get a camcorder before then. All I know is that s/h is ok and that they will be using Premier 5 to edit on PC. It will prob only be used for this course but I might have a little play. Any help with regard to format/features would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Look for a model with DV In/Out.

3. CamcorderNovice

CamcorderNovice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can tell by my nickname, I'm somewhat of a beginner myself when it comes to camcorders. However, I do have some good advice: -

The magazine 'what camcorder' (hee hee) is very very useful. If you fancy a particular type of model try looking at the reviews.

I found talking to alot of people about camcorders very useful.

I also found it useful going round to various shops and asking their opinions. This also lets you have a good look at the camcorders available because there are alot on the market!

Hope this helps

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Camcorder Novice,
    Sensible advice, no-one will argue with you there.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For best value, look at 'run out' models I.e. last years. If the budget will stretch to it, go for a 3 chip model. Panasonic or Sony are to be preferred but the Canon would be equally acceptable. You should be able to find the Panasonic 3 chip for anything from 900 to 1300. Don't forget to budget for extra battery(s) (High capacity) also, a decent tripod and probabaly wide angle converter.