• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Help please, 55" or 65" around £1000

rdbushell

Standard Member
Hi. I haven't bought a tv for about 7 years so not too sure on what I should be looking for?
Went into John Lewis today and was looking at a Panasonic TX58DX802B and did like the look of it with a separate sound bar included but the sales guy was directing me towards a Sony 55xe8596 that was slightly more expensive but did have android software and was 10 bit. In the past have bought Samsung but the only good deals I've seen have been for curved screens and as I'm wall mounting not too sure that curved would look any good.

Will be upgrading to sky q and have a Xbox one Any help would be greatly appreciated

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The XE85 was more expensive because it was launched earlier this year instead of last year. At like for like pricing the DX802 was a £1400 TV.

Android TV requires apps to support remote controls rather than touchscreens so you get a far smaller selection than on an Android phone. For example none of the UK broadcasters other than the BBC offer an Android TV app I believe, Sony only has the catch-up services because they also support youview.

I'm not sure whether the XE85 is 10-bit or not, but it doesn't make any difference.

Most of last year's TVs have sold out now and this year's have only just started offering tentative initial discounts. You generally get more for your money in the winter.

The DX802 isn't bad though. You're paying extra for frills like the thickness and soundbar over the DX750 but you'll struggle to find a 2017 model to match it currently.

The next big thing right now is HDR which offers the ability to display more saturated colours and offers better contrast through brighter highlights. That's a little out of budget though, to get a reasonable HDR implementation you'd be looking at the next model up in the Sony range, the XE90, and it only gets spectacular after that with the XE93, XE94 and ZD9.

So you're mainly just looking for good picture, and good sound if you use the TV's speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom