Help please! 5.1 Speaker Placement Issues.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sit around 2.6 - 2.8m from my TV. My side speaker are directly facing the main listening position (1m either side to my ears assuming I'm sat in the center of the sofa) but as they are monopole speakers, sound seems to be very directional. They are also only a few inches above my head on dvd racks which doesn't help/ I do not have the luxury of wall-mounting the sides annoyingly or buying new speakers. My placement is below.

Speakers: Q Acoustics Q2000i 5.1 package
(Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Pack | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

AVR: Yamaha RX-V675

Would it be better if I moved them so they are further behind and facing the MLP?
Am I stuck without mounting them?

test.png

Last edited:
I would place them on high speaker stands and a bit behind the sofa.

Last edited:
Your sofa is in a very good position
I would say you are fortunate to be able to get the surrounds at 90deg, with the new emmersive audio formats monopole speakers and ear height is recommended.
Without more info on your kit and your AV goals its hard to say any more than that.

Your sofa is in a very good position
I would say you are fortunate to be able to get the surrounds at 90deg, with the new emmersive audio formats monopole speakers and ear height is recommended.
Without more info on your kit and your AV goals its hard to say any more than that.

Using a Q Acoustics Q2000i package with Left Right and Surrounds being 2010i's, center is a 2000ci and sub is a 2070si. Yamaha RX-V675 for the AVR.

Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Pack | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

I listed it in that post. Yamaha RX-V675.
Ah missed that on the first post
YPAO should have set the surround levels so they don't overpower but moving the sofa forward or speakers slightly behind ( 110deg ) should help.
With the advent of Dolby Atmos I only wish I could get my surrounds in your position as mine are slightly behind

Ah missed that on the first post
YPAO should have set the surround levels so they don't overpower but moving the sofa forward or speakers slightly behind ( 110deg ) should help.
With the advent of Dolby Atmos I only wish I could get my surrounds in your position as mine are slightly behind

I've tried both positions. I think it's because it's only about a foot above (probably less now that I look at it) so it seems very directional. There's no sense of space because there's no width in the room.

Conspired running dipole speakers instead?

I've tried both positions. I think it's because it's only about a foot above (probably less now that I look at it) so it seems very directional. There's no sense of space because there's no width in the room.
Perhaps consider positioning at the rear?

Perhaps consider positioning at the rear?

I've read it's not ideal for surround to fire directly at the front facing / mlp from behind.

Got to be worth a try to see if it sounds better. If not happy with current sound and can not buy new kit then play with position even if not normally recommended.

You don't even need to reposition the speakers just temporarily move the couch forward a bit, if no benefit put couch back where it was

This is likely down to speaker levels - your positioning is near ideal.

Generic stands won't cost too much - look at the 'Pro' market for height adjustable units.

You could try turning the Surrounds so that the drivers face the wall and you bounce the audio off of the side walls.

How is the room furnished - all hard surfaces or do you have soft furnishings?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom